Solved

Random unknown numbers call/text me claiming that I called them, but I didn't

• 30 March 2018
  • 4 replies

Hi,

In the last few weeks I have received several calls/texts from random unknown people claiming that I called them. I have not, and I don't have those calls they claim I made in my history (which I would if it was an accidental dial). These numbers have the same area code and the same first three digits (beyond the area code) as my own number. The people on the other end seems genuinely questioning why I called them. Anyone knows what's happening here?

icon

Best answer by Anonymous 30 March 2018, 15:26

View original

4 replies

SPAM callers frequently fake caller IDs. They most often pick a random number from the same CO they are calling. So, if your number is 456-4321, you might get random SPAM calls from numbers like 456-6743 to make it look like someone local is trying to reach you, so you'll answer the phone. It's gotten so bad that I just ignore calls from numbers that are not in my address book. Most people I know do the same. A few years ago I'd return missed calls based on caller ID. I don't do that any more.

Just tell the people who are calling you that they've fallen prey to a trick that junk callers use.

Userlevel 3

Hey, @feliciaol​! I'm sorry to read that you're experiencing this. I'm inclined to agree with @drnewcomb2​ -- it does sound like someone might  be spoofing your number. 😥
There's some information here for agencies you can contact to report issues like this: Caller ID spoofing and text message spam​ -- it's definitely worth looking into!

I have also been receiving several calls in the past two days saying they missed a call from me when I didn't call them. Your note, Marissa, says to report the issue and gives the FTC site. However, if those people followed your advice, they would be reporting MY phone number as it's the only one they would have when I've done nothing wrong. I believe you need to rethink your advice. I followed the link you gave and it has no section for what to do if someone is spoofing your number- there is only a way to report an unwanted call.

You can also try do a reverse phone lookup at https://www.datacorelookup.com/ to get to know the caller.