Sales Rep created 2 accounts...

Badge

This is a long one, so buckle up.

I opened a brand new home internet account just over a month ago. The sales rep asked if I wanted to pay an additional $12 for “next-day shipping” and was adamant that my device would arrive the next day. Of course, it didn’t show up until 4 days later. When I received my device, I was going to contact them back and ask them to refund my $12. (I would have never paid had I not been promised my device would show up next day.) When looking back through my emails, I discovered that I had actually received 2 shipping confirmation emails with different order numbers. When I called customer support for my refunded shipping fee, I told them this and wanted to verify that I wasn’t going to receive a second device. I was assured that they would credit my account the $12, and that I wouldn’t have to worry about this and we would NOT receive a second device…..24 hours later: Device number 2 shows up on my doorstep.

When contacting customer support again to see what I needed to do to return this second device that I was assured I wouldn’t be receiving in the first place, I was advised to take the device back to my local T-Mobile store. Easy enough. You see where this is going? Apparently, T-Mobile stores cannot accept the device back….even though they sell the same device in stores. I was so furious at this point, it didn’t really even matter why. The rep at the store told “I hope this gets better for you...” She didn’t sound very hopeful. Upon leaving the store, unwanted device still in hand, I call customer support AGAIN. They create a shipping label and email it to me, but not before telling me I did not have an email associated with my account. When I asked how T-Mobile was emailing me regarding my account then, the rep said he did not know. This rep also told me he would refund me $24 for all my trouble. He took my card information….and asked for my bank routing number? I told him I had never received a refund like this before, and I’ll be honest, I told him when I didn’t receive the money back, I would be calling them again.

Sooooo….I drop the device I never ordered in the first place off at my nearest UPS store, and upon placing the new shipping label over the original, I noticed that my last name had been spelled incorrectly-just missing one letter. 

Refund never comes...account shows they received the device back. All is well..for now. Until my first auto-payment hits and it is charged twice. The first rep I spoke to told me he only showed one charge and to call my bank. When I tried to explain to him that I believe 2 accounts were created, he completely ignored me and said there was nothing he could do. I reached out again, and the new rep actually considered what I was telling him and verified that YES, two accounts had been created, but that I needed to call a different number for them to cancel it and refund our money. I was telling my wife about everything, and she said she would just stop by the T-mobile by her office and get it taken care of.

Wife goes in to the store, explains the situation, manager comes over and tells her that she isn’t an authorized user on the account, therefore he couldn’t do anything. I added her to the account! Wife left and was furious. We proceeded to call….again as a last ditch effort. The gentleman we spoke to was genuinely trying to help and was going back and forth between my wife and another rep on another line. After 45 minutes, he came back on the line and stated his call had dropped with the associate. We ended the call at that time. T-Mobile created a second account without my knowledge and/or authorization, and have stolen $50 and countless hours of my time. We can’t get anyone to either listen and/or look up the information. And unfortunately we do not have an infinite amount of hours that we can sit on the phone for this issue to MAYBE be resolved, and maybe not! 

We are both going to go back in store on Saturday and cancel everything. The bad part is, their device works perfectly. However, I would pay triple each month to know I would not have to contact anyone from T-Mobile. Anyone have any recommendations?

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

another option would be to contact them through either Facebook or Twitter. you start off with tier 2 support instead of the call in their 1 support..plus there will be a message trail of what all has been said.

Userlevel 5
Badge +5

Just to clarify “charged twice” - you all see two charges on your first bill for your new home internet line. The first charge is for the period of time you used from day 1 up to the next billing close date. The second charge will be the full amount for the the next month since TMobile bills forward and not in arrears.

Any refunds that were issued due to cancellation of any services will not show up until the next billing cycle since TMO can’t change the current months’ charges after billing period has already closed (this is when you receive the paper bill). You just pay the amount shown and your next bill will be adjusted with your refund.

if you did indeed get charged for 2 lines, you will see 2 lines on your bill with two different phone numbers. You need to cancel the other line if this is the case. Just make sure the SIM card matches the number of the one you want to keep. TMO does not charge any phone number for more than one service.

I had a similar experience where I was getting my original TMO gateway replaced with with the newer model. When I received the new gateway I saw there was a second line and phone number that showed up on my online account. I called TMO support directly and was told the previous rep accidentally setup my replacement as a new line. Once the rep cancelled the extra line she told me to go ahead a pay for the extra line since my billing was already closed for the period, but I will get the refund credited on the next bill. The refund on the next bill was exactly the same as the charge for the extra line on the previous bill.

Badge

Just to clarify “charged twice” - you all see two charges on your first bill for your new home internet line. The first charge is for the period of time you used from day 1 up to the next billing close date. The second charge will be the full amount for the the next month since TMobile bills forward and not in arrears.

Any refunds that were issued due to cancellation of any services will not show up until the next billing cycle since TMO can’t change the current months’ charges after billing period has already closed (this is when you receive the paper bill). You just pay the amount shown and your next bill will be adjusted with your refund.

if you did indeed get charged for 2 lines, you will see 2 lines on your bill with two different phone numbers. You need to cancel the other line if this is the case. Just make sure the SIM card matches the number of the one you want to keep. TMO does not charge any phone number for more than one service.

I had a similar experience where I was getting my original TMO gateway replaced with with the newer model. When I received the new gateway I saw there was a second line and phone number that showed up on my online account. I called TMO support directly and was told the previous rep accidentally setup my replacement as a new line. Once the rep cancelled the extra line she told me to go ahead a pay for the extra line since my billing was already closed for the period, but I will get the refund credited on the next bill. The refund on the next bill was exactly the same as the charge for the extra line on the previous bill.

We don’t see a second line on our bill, because it is through an entirely different account. We have 1 line, and 1 $50 charge on our bill. The last rep confirmed there were 2 accounts created, one with a misspelling of our name, and one with the correct. 

The refund and adjustment conversations I had were 3 weeks ago. And they weren’t due to cancellations.

Userlevel 5
Badge +5

We don’t see a second line on our bill, because it is through an entirely different account. We have 1 line, and 1 $50 charge on our bill. The last rep confirmed there were 2 accounts created, one with a misspelling of our name, and one with the correct. 

The refund and adjustment conversations I had were 3 weeks ago. And they weren’t due to cancellations.

Ah so I misunderstood. You have two separate TMobile accounts and not two separate lines on a single TMobile account. That is an unusual situation indeed. You may want to reach out directly to TMO help on twitter and see if you can get to the right person.