Switching from Verizon to TMobile was a terrible decision!

Userlevel 1
Badge

Deceived by TMobile and now they will not honor it. Bought a new phone while with Verizon and then months later decided to switch my family over to TMobile to save some money. TMobile acted like bringing my device over from Verizon would be a non-issue. Immediately, after transferring to the TMobile network, my text messages began failing to send. After 4 different calls with tech support, 4 times of resetting my phone to default factory mode (then reinstalling all apps and going through my healthcare organizations security to have several work apps readded to my device) and having to make two trips to the TMobile store (40 minute drive each way), my phone is still having text messages fail to send. I have zero issues with the phone, it is in perfect condition and operates flawlessly. However, TMobile’s solution to this is that I need to buy a new $900 device. How about ‘No!’. I just bought a new phone a year ago for $900 and that phone had zero issues on the Verizon network. TMobile guaranteed me that I could bring my phone over with me. Now that’s it’s not working as I was told, now they backtrack and say, “well we do have some issues with Verizon phones and typically it is with text messages or data issues”.

So you are aware that this is an issue yet did not mention it to me as a possible problem and now you want me to buy a new phone from you. What a gimmick!! The issue is on the TMobile side, it’s their network, they should be responsible for replacing my device since you told me that mine would work!! If they had been upfront about known issues with Verizon devices I would have reconsidered making the transfer to TMobile, which I guarantee is exactly why they did not disclose this information. For me, the $20/month savings between the TMobile and Verizon bills was not worth this hassle!

I will be continuing to share this experience with multiple outlets.

14 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

since it came over from another carrier..did TMO have you check/’change up any of your APN settings?

https://www.t-mobile.com/support/devices/not-sold-by-t-mobile/byod-t-mobile-data-and-apn-settings

Userlevel 1
Badge

Thank you for your response. Yes, they did in fact perform this three different times on my device. It actually has resolved it temporarily for me each time. It only lasts for a very short time though and then something happens where I am right back to where I was and the text messages begin failing to send again. This has been my same experience all three times that they have reset my phone to factory/default and then manually configured it to readd the TMobile network. They have also tried replacing my SIM card and they did a full reset on my account where it even changed the number to my cell phone and I still continued to have the same experience with text messages failing to send. This was a nonissue prior to TMobile.

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

oddly enough usually these issues are due to the carrier taking their time releasing your info to the new carrier. depending on how long you have been dealing with this i know i have heard of it taking about a week + to get all the info transferred over from the previous carrier. might not be what youre running into but its also not exactly unheard of to happen.

Userlevel 1
Badge

That was originally what TMobile tech support had mentioned when I began experiencing this issue as soon as they activated my phone on the TMobile network. I called Verizon customer service who confirmed the transfer had been complete on their end and that my device was now showing unlocked and no longer showing a Verizon SIM.

I have been dealing with this for roughly 8 months now. My wife has the identical phone from Verizon. When I switched my family over, we brought two phones over with us since they were newer and already paid for and I purchased a new device from TMobile for my daughter. My wife had a similar issue with hers, but hers was resolved and has not had the issue since the first fix from TMobile. They have not had that success with mine though, even though it is an identical device. So my wife did not have to buy a new device, but that is their solution for me. When in reality, it should be working just as my wifes does.

Userlevel 1
Badge

I have had to sacrifice hours of my time both personal and from work to try and get this issue resolved, plus gas at my expense running back and forth to the TMobile store just for this issue. This is where I feel that TMobile has a responsibility to resolve this and replace my device or forfeit the cost that it will take me to switch back to Verizon.

They are forcing me over a barrel. I either buy a new phone for $900 from TMobile to resolve the issue (when they are the ones who told me that I would have no issues bringing my phone from Verizon over)...or my second option is to pay off $1200 for a promotion that I unfortunately accepted when transferring from Verizon, which was 3x Free Samsung Galaxy 4 watches since my wife, daughter, and I all had newer Samsung S21 and S23 devices. In order to go back to Verizon, I would now have to pay the cost of those 3 watches.

I bought the Kyocera Dura XV Extreme flip phone through our Verizon plan in April 2022 to upgrade to 5G.  A couple weeks ago, December 2023,  we switched to T Mobile and ported our numbers. Since then, I have not been able to receive certain text messages.  I think they are Multimedia Messaging Service, MMS.  The conversation bubble has a grey box saying download, but the download fails.  
I have talked to several T mobile techs on the phone and in the store, and also to a Verizon tech who unlocked my phone and said it would work but it still does not.   I also talked to Kyocera, the manufacturer who said sometimes phones do not transfer well…. 

Last week, January, 2024, I decided to try the tech at a different t mobile store.  He was very helpful and offered to reset my phone if I brought in my older phone to transfer/backup the contacts to.  
Today I went back to the store, he was not there but another tech set right to work and discovered that when the new t mobile sim card was put in, the phone/network?? Did not correctly recognize/connect to the right access point???  I am not sure what he did but So far it works so yippie.  

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

yeah usually if its an issue with a port its either some of the ported number is still stuck over at the previous carrier and has not been released or APN settings if its a phone being brought in as a BYOD from another carrier..specifically if its a BYOD that is carrier specific or started out as carrier specific.

I have talked to several T mobile techs on the phone and in the store, who tried various changes and also to a Verizon tech who unlocked my phone and said it would work but it still did not.   I also talked to Kyocera, the manufacturer who said sometimes phones do not transfer well and may just have to get t new phone.

Last week, January, 2024, I decided to try the tech at a different t mobile store.  He was very helpful and offered to reset my phone if I brought in my older phone to transfer/backup the contacts to.  
Today I went back to the store, he was not there but another tech set right to work and discovered that when the new t mobile sim card was put in, the phone/network?? Did not correctly recognize/connect to the right access point???  I am not sure what he did but So far it works so yippie.  

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

if its from another carrier or was purchased carrier unlocked it probably needed the APN settings adjusted or edited.

Yes.  It was from verizon and it was unlocked.  How would I have know that it needed APN settings adjusted?  Is APN the same as access point?  Because that is what the T mobile tech adjusted in the store yesterday.  Anyway it still works today.  

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

correct. if you look at the link in the first post it contains the APN settings for each device and kind of explains what it is.

Thanks for this:  

NOT SOLD BY T-MOBILE, T-Mobile data & APN settings - https://www.t-mobile.com/support/devices/not-sold-by-t-mobile/byod-t-mobile-data-and-apn-settings

However, I do not see Kyocera listed (for future users reference)  but the t mobile tech found it somewhere to fix it for me.

I have the same problem as Poseidon13.  It's frustrating because sometimes sending texts works and sometimes not.  Not sure what to do.  T-Mobile insists it's not them.  I'm also annoyed at Verizon for putting their mark on my unlocked phone.  Everytime I power on I get their logo and an error message saying the SIM is not Verizon.  I didn't buy the phone from them and resent they made intrusive changes on MY phone.  Also some apps of theirs cannot be deleted. For that reason I will not use them ever again.

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

I have the same problem as Poseidon13.  It's frustrating because sometimes sending texts works and sometimes not.  Not sure what to do.  T-Mobile insists it's not them.  I'm also annoyed at Verizon for putting their mark on my unlocked phone.  Everytime I power on I get their logo and an error message saying the SIM is not Verizon.  I didn't buy the phone from them and resent they made intrusive changes on MY phone.  Also some apps of theirs cannot be deleted. For that reason I will not use them ever again.

for what its worth most unlocked phones lock to the first carrier theyre added onto..hence it pulled in Vs info..tossing in the TMO sim should correct that if its unlocked by V..which it doesnt sound like it is if its giving you that notification from about it not being a V sim card.