Question

T-Mobile 5G Home Internet Gateway slow ethernet but fast WiFi

Userlevel 2
Badge

I recently installed the grey 5G Home Internet gateway at home. When I first got it three weeks ago, I was seeing speeds of 150+ down, and 50 up on both WiFi and ethernet.

Now I am seeing roughly the same speeds over WiFi, but ethernet speeds have dropped to 10-15 down, sometimes as low as 5. Upload is around 15-20.

Has anyone else had this issue and found a solution? Or is the gateway defective? Both ports appear to have the same issue, and WiFi continues to work fine.

29 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

Check out the Internet Issues section of our T-Mobile Home Internet troubleshooting for some common steps on getting this fixed. We definitely want you to get the fastest speeds you can. 

Userlevel 2
Badge

I have performed all the steps in that guide and no change. Like I said, WiFi is fast, but wired is slow. 

Did your wired slower on any devices or just on one of them?

Dude.

I have literally the exact same problem.

I live in the boondocks and only get maybe 10 or so on the wifi but if I plug a PC (I have more than one, and I’ve tried them all) into the ethernet port and run a speedtest I get like…

…wait for it…

...roughly around 150-200 KILObits. Seriously.

Unplug it and use the wifi and I get usually at least a MEGAbit or two.

Whiskey tango foxtrot guys, THIS IS DEFINITELY A BUG, someone get it to the guys that actually do the technical stuff and not the fancy customer service reps please, thanks.

I recently installed the grey 5G Home Internet gateway at home. When I first got it three weeks ago, I was seeing speeds of 150+ down, and 50 up on both WiFi and ethernet.

Now I am seeing roughly the same speeds over WiFi, but ethernet speeds have dropped to 10-15 down, sometimes as low as 5. Upload is around 15-20.

Has anyone else had this issue and found a solution? Or is the gateway defective? Both ports appear to have the same issue, and WiFi continues to work fine.

Found the issue. My friend had the same issue. Simply reset his network drivers by resetting networks on your pc. 

Badge

Im having same issue but on wifi and ethernet on pc connection only getting 1.5mbs on cpu wired or using wifi.

25mbs on wifi on all other devices.. checked settings signal all good .. at this point be happy with 15 down on pc

Badge

Im having same issue but on wifi and ethernet on pc connection only getting 1.5mbs on cpu wired or using wifi.

25mbs on wifi on all other devices.. checked settings signal all good .. at this point be happy with 15 down on pc

been wondering if my nic card is compatiable with gateway?? just a thought 

Dude.

I have literally the exact same problem.

I live in the boondocks and only get maybe 10 or so on the wifi but if I plug a PC (I have more than one, and I’ve tried them all) into the ethernet port and run a speedtest I get like…

…wait for it…

...roughly around 150-200 KILObits. Seriously.

Unplug it and use the wifi and I get usually at least a MEGAbit or two.

Whiskey tango foxtrot guys, THIS IS DEFINITELY A BUG, someone get it to the guys that actually do the technical stuff and not the fancy customer service reps please, thanks.

I’ve tried to tell them of the bugs, they don’t listen!  I checked my errors on my router, over 2500 errors. I’m continuously getting disconnected. Does anyone else have a problem accessing several websites?  They’re sites I need to have access to and can’t get to them. 

Exact same issue. 

Wifi is 660Mbs.  using Iphone. 

When used a laptop:  Wifi = 550Mbps.  Lan = 220Mbps.  USING SAME LAPTOP!!

tried several laptops and a all in one desktop also (wifi and lan) same. 

tested Lan port = 220Mbps.   REmoved the lan plug and ran the wifi got full speed 500-600Mbps

Definitely something wrong with the lan ports.  Tried both ports. Intent is to add my own router eventually but not if lan is this bad. Lan right now directly connected to the T-Mobile lan port. No devices inbetween.

Badge

I have and tired calling the support disservice.im going back to att fiber. Never had this problem with them.

Funny, just got my device  under 10mbps down usually under 1mbps down both wired and wifi. And 10-30 on the up average is 25  i was on the phone for 2 hrs with t mobile and they act like they never heard of my problem   reset,  renamed 2.4 and 5 ghz  connect disconnect  factory reset  remote reset...  a promise to expedite this to a tech a promise to call me back in 48-72 hours.  I am considering transferring all my numbers to Verizon  i hate Verizon with a passion for something else other than service at least Verizon delivers on its promises. 

We are the best financial company in India that provides the top quality loan service as well as life cover scheme for customers. We have lost loan plans with the lowest interest rates per annum. If you need any type of financial support then you can apply for a loan service here. Over many years experience in finance field which helps us in providing best loan service for customers. For more information contact us now today.

Useful Links:

Famous financial advisor company with all loan services

Frequently Asked Question of online Loan services from 2021

Latest updates and information about finance service

How to apply for a loan service at the lowest interest rates?

Complete information about finance(loan) service - 01 Dec'21

I was fed up with the Cox’s pricing so switched. I’m a bit of a geek and power user and planned to just use the gateway as a modem. Connected to the gateway’s WiFi I pull ~600Mbps/30Mbps. when I connect directly wired the download drops more than half.~200Mbps, 280Mbps is the max wired speed I have seen.

SOMETHING in the firmware has to be wrong or Nokia used utter crap for the ethernet chipset.

200Mbps is more than enough for anything I need to do at home (yay Colo for the servers) but its annoying that I can't get the full speeds available while running my normal network stack. I would be happy to skip my hardware if the gateway supported VLANS and advanced firewall rules

Having the same issue. 600Mb down through the gateway wifi, 90Mb over ethernet.

I am having this very same issue. I have done some extensive troubleshooting. I have factory defaulted the modem, taken my personal router out of the equation by connecting directly to the ethernet and still had the same slow on ethernet but fast on wifi when connecting directly to the gateway.

Folks, I had exactly the same problem- fast Wi-Fi, slow wired ports. Power off the gateway and power it back on fixed the problem. Good luck!

same issue. called support yesterday and said working on it. Said issue in the area..  Like really the tower is gonna fix the internal lan port issue!  I also get 500MBs wifi and lucky if 150MBs on wired lan. 

Tried 3 laptops (2 are wifi 6E new) and a 1GB desktop with intel lan. 

New cables, and tried both ports on the Nokia router. 

I might try disabling the Wifi completely if a resource issue but I have less than 3 devices connected on Wifi and even Idle same issue. 

Either there are a few defective boxes out there or they need a major firmware update to fix it. Or lastly they have a crap ethernet chip / firmware / driver. 

I’ve had my gateway for about a week. I’m getting consistently 600-700 mbps over ethernet and 400+ wifi. I also have Spectrum 400 mbps plan and get 400 to 500. I had 2 tests [TM gateway] on FAST app and got 1 GB DL speed. I have the gateway in my basement. Go figure.

I have the same issue. All was fine before I went away for the weekend. Came back to find my local router had lost WAN connection to the gateway. Upon restarting the Arcadyan gateway, wired LAN connects at gigbit rate, but actual transfer speeds are very bursty and hence significantly slower.  Doesn’t matter whether connected via LAN through my external router or with a directly connected PC. When directly using the Arcadyan built in WiFi AP it is fine. 

Tried a factory reset, no improvement. My guess is that a firmware update was pushed over the weekend. 

I have the same issue. All was fine before I went away for the weekend. Came back to find my local router had lost WAN connection to the gateway. Upon restarting the Arcadyan gateway, wired LAN connects at gigabit rate, but actual transfer speeds are very bursty and hence significantly slower.  Doesn’t matter whether connected via LAN through my external router or with a directly connected PC. When directly using the Arcadyan built in WiFi AP it is fine. 

Tried a factory reset, no improvement. My guess is that a firmware update was pushed over the weekend. 

Contacted customer support and they are doing an exchange. However overnight the Gateway performed a 2nd factory reset (perhaps the one issued OTA by support) and the LAN speed returned to normal. I’m unsure how and OTA reset would differ from using the hard reset button.

I have the same issue. All was fine before I went away for the weekend. Came back to find my local router had lost WAN connection to the gateway. Upon restarting the Arcadyan gateway, wired LAN connects at gigabit rate, but actual transfer speeds are very bursty and hence significantly slower.  Doesn’t matter whether connected via LAN through my external router or with a directly connected PC. When directly using the Arcadyan built in WiFi AP it is fine. 

Contacted customer support and they are doing an exchange. However overnight the Gateway performed a 2nd factory reset (perhaps the one issued OTA by support) and the LAN speed returned to normal. I’m unsure how and OTA reset would differ from using the hard reset button.

What firmware version does yours show to be at now? Im having the same issues and seeing im on 1.00.16

Userlevel 1
Badge

I use to get over 300 mbs on the wired or wi fi, now I'm lucky to get 100 mbs. Hard wired should be faster I would think?

Just got my unit today, same issue (showing firmware ver. 1.00.16)

~200 / 45 Mbps over WiFi direct to gate way

~6 / 5 Mbps direct via any of the two ethernet ports (removed my router from the equation, tried hard resets, Network reset, nada)

For those that got a gateway replacement did that fix the issue?

I figured it out, guess reading here put a bias in me that it was somehow the gateway’s issue if WiFi’s fast but Ethernet’s slow… it was my fault lol, if you’re having the same issues perform the following steps before bugging tech support --

1. Use https://www.speedtest.net/ and set the same server for testing, do NOT use Google’s M-Lab that comes up in a blurb when you search speed test (it’s highly inconsistent)

2. Run speed test via another browser to see if you get the same results, if you’re getting discrepancies it may be VPN / secure DNS, etc. Make sure your VPN software isn’t running, if on Windows check Internet Options → Connections and make sure there’s no VPNs that’s slowing you down

3. Check another device and a third device via Ethernet, if you’re getting discrepancies it’s not the gateway’s problem 

4. Uninstall your NIC driver and update to the latest, for me it was https://www.realtek.com/en/component/zoo/category/network-interface-controllers-10-100-1000m-gigabit-ethernet-pci-express-software

5. Perform a “Network Reset” under System Settings, just type in your search bar

6. Worst case if you have a PC that’s still just not performing, buy a new $13 NIC card on Amazon

Now I’m getting 200-400 Mbps on all devices with my old router, a bit inconsistent but beats 4G speeds by a long shot! 

I hane the same issue.   

Slow LAN speed (<100mbps).  Wifi is fast (>400mbps)

Reset and reboot did not fix the issue.