Question

T-Mobile Fraudulent Account Setup Using My Credit Card and Social Security Number

• 18 February 2022
  • 4 replies

Badge

Late last year someone apparently set up two phone plans with T-Mobile and bought two phones using my credit card.  I reported this to my credit card company and stopped payment. That part was easy, but dealing with T-Mobile has been a real pain and has gotten me no answers.  After being on hold twice for several hours and finally getting a customer service representative, I found out that the account had my social security number too.  (Or at least the last 4 digits….I could not get anyone to confirm the whole number was used.) I was sent to a story to verify the information in person and one company story said they did not do that, and finally the other tried to help, but at that point the accounts were locked and they could not see any detailed information.  So, I have never been able to verify how much of my identity has been stolen.  I have put a credit freeze on my credit report with the 3 bureaus.  I still have nothing from T-Mobile.  I was promised on several occasions a call back and/or emails detailing what T-Mobile was doing to rectify the situation.  I STILL HAVE NOTHING.  So, I am trying to find out if anyone else in this forum has had this happen and trying to see if T-Mobile monitors these and will actually do what I was told and help me with this credit and identity theft issue caused by them! 

4 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

Yikes, this is no good, but we do have ways to help. We have a dedicated account team that can handle this, but you’ll need to contact our Care team by calling or messaging our T-Force team on Twitter using the @TMobileHelp. Sorry, here on the forum, we don’t have account access needed to open a case with our Fraud department to have this looked into.

Badge

I have done all of that...and this mysterious “T-Force Team” NEVER has corresponded with me in ANY way.  Pathetic.  I once considered becoming a T-Mobile customer, but this has solidified that not happening.  I can talk to someone at Verizon in 20-30 minutes by phone.  To get to the first level of T-Mobile customer service I was on hold for 2+ hours and the other time a call back came in 2+ hours.  So, thanks, but that really has done NOTHING. 

Userlevel 1

T-Mobile service is really poor now.  I recently lost my spouse,

I went to a T-Mobile store and explained I wanted to cancel (first thing I said) one of the Drive Sync devices and then add cell service to my Apple watch so I could receive call as some of my friends do.

They added the watch service, charged me $30.00 and THEN told me I needed to call customer service to eliminate the Drive Sync device. Not happy about the $30.00 and having to make the call, but...

I went home and called T-Mobile to eliminate one of our Drive Sync devices.  I was TOLD the account needed to be cancelled and a new account would be created and it would be MIRRORING my old account.  NOT TRUE.  They created a new account, I wanted to keep everything but one drive Sync.

Instead I am now paying more for service, and the One Plus was dropped off my plan, and the Apple Watch has not been able to receive calls even though I was assured it would.  Last call they said give it 3 - 4 hours.

I called today and said I wanted to drop the remaining Drive Sync and Watch service ( it never worked). So I am now being charged more and the less service.  I could have easily said I was my spouse but I wanted to be honest.  I want to keep the line for other practical reasons.

I am going to AT&T and Verizon. I don't mind if it is a few dollars more.  My experiences with T-Mobie have been ridiculous!!

You would have though on one of the 4 recent calls that they would have sensed my displeasure and escalated the call to their supervisor!

Badge

bartla22...sorry for your loss. It is absurd that you have to go through all of this with TMobile’s poor service. Their customer service “T Force Team” is useless.  I got various different answers each time I finally reached someone and when I went to the store I was told to go to, the staff in the store were just as useless. They said they could not handle fraudulent accounts and that I had to go back to calling their “T-Force Team” which had sent me to the store to prove my identity.  It has been nothing but problems.  The only silver lining in all of this is finding this out before I switched to them.  I am with Verizon, which is more expensive, but seems a little bit more helpful.