T-Mobile is frauding and charging for international calls made on wifi

• 2 February 2024
  • 4 replies

Badge

I have been noticing increases on my monthly bill life $180 and called in to verify. The agent  told me the extra charge is due to an international call. But guess what: I have been calling my Spain for years using WhatsApp Call and I have never been charged, since I have unlimited data. When I google the question I realize I’m not the only one who has this problem with T-Mobile. On my first call to the billing department the agent told me that international phone calls made through WhatsApp can be charged; Customer service didn’t want to remove charges so I will be transferring my business to AT&T. I even visited the store here in Dadeland and manager will no remove the charges. They rather loose business, incredible.

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

Will I get charged for using Wi-Fi internationally?

The price you pay for Wi-Fi calls to international numbers when you're outside the US, depends on your international roaming option. The good news is, with most of our international roaming add-ons, you'll pay less for these calls than you did before. All Wi-Fi calls to US numbers are free of charge.

adding onto the above though..this has been brought up numerous times on numerous carriers forums when it comes to WhatsApp. you can type WhatsApp into any carriers forum and see just how many run into this when using it.. heck you can do the search in here and im pretty sure ive posted multiple links to threads on V and ATT talking about exactly this..

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

found a couple of them.. point is its by far not a specific carriers issue..which starts to point more towards the app being the culprit..especially when everyone has the same stories

https://community.verizon.com/t5/Connected-Devices/WhatsApp-WIFI-calls-repeatedly-resulting-in-charges-for-Roaming/m-p/1261810

https://community.verizon.com/t5/Samsung/Exhorbitant-bill/m-p/1216709

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

This has popped up with other calling apps even down to FaceTime. I honestly think the culprit is DNS servers and routing. In some countries there is a toll to pay and always goes to the person who initiated the call. If the call gets routed through the country the toll applies. You can find other stories in other countries about paying these types of calls.

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

The problem with WhatsApp has been hotly debated on various forums. The bottom line is that in some (perhaps rare) situations WhatsApp completes calls via the phone’s dialer. This is one reason I avoid using WhatsApp. I’ve never heard of anyone having this problem when using Signal or Telegram.