Question

"T-Mobile Notification: Equipment Modified", is it a scam?

• 30 May 2021
  • 4 replies

Badge

I received an email titled “Your T-Mobile Account has been updated“ from T-Mobile customer support this morning, but my account (T-Mobile Phone#) was pre-paid and should have already been expired.

The message body is as follows.

> T-Mobile Notification: Equipment Modified
> Dear Customer,
> Equipment has been modified for device # **********. The imsi has been changed from # *************** to # *************** .
> Sincerely,
> T-Mobile Customer Service

(Note: “***”s in original message are filled with actual number.)

Is it a scam, identity theft or something?
To whom and how should I report this email?

Thank you very much for your support in advance.

Best regards,

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

The easiest way to find out is to sign I to your mytmobile account and it will show any changes to your account.

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

You could tell more than likely by the e-mail address it came from.  T-Mobile doesn’t keep the IMSI in the system for anything outside of EIP’s.  Even if you don’t use a phone on EIP, that doesn’t impact your service or your account, because IMEI’s and IMSI’s don’t tie into your service.  

I checked and it does seem to be a tmobile email but it still doesn’t make any sense!  I got that spam looking email today about emsi changing.  nothing on my account indicates any change.  Don’t they have tmobile chat support any longer?  Thanks

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

If you scroll down from this post and click on support a chat screen will pop up if available.