Question

T-Mobile Prepaid : Cannot change billing address

• 3 March 2023
  • 5 replies

Badge

I am having issues changing my billing address. I can change other info with no issues. I even contacted customer service who made the change, but it keeps going back to my old incomplete address. They had my proper billing address as they had sent me the SIM to that address, but it seems the account profile has a problem. I have since moved and need to change it. When I do try, the old address line is blank and only the city/state/zip are displayed. I believe this may be causing the update to fail. Since being on prepaid, it seems customer service is more limited. Has anybody encountered this issue? Any recommendations on getting it fixed escalation? Thanks

5 replies

Badge

I have the same issue. It says change is successful, but it never changes.

Badge

Also, I called Customer Service and they couldn't change it either. They said they would enter a ticket and that I should check again the next day.

As of 5/14/23 I’ve got the same issue.  Below is what I posted on the other thread started by Qazplm on this issue.  On that thread they incorrectly have it labeled as “solved.”

….There is a bug in the T-Mobile system for the prepaid account address change.  I’m having the same problem today (5/14/23).  I am moving and need to change the address.  You can change the separate e911 emergency contact address, but not the billing address.  

You can actually type in the new billing street address and hit save, and the response statement indicates the new information was saved (I believe also with a green check mark).  However, when you then go back to My Profile and click on the billing address entry again, the old address shows up.  I tried several times.  Also, no confirmation e-mail is sent, even for the successful e911 address change. 

Also, if you are not going to have a permanent address for a while and need to use a USPS PO Box address, I found that page also rejected my alternate PO box address outright - it won’t even let you try to click on the submit button with a PO Box address entered (it blanks out the entry block).  Many retired people (and others) traveling and living in RVs don’t have a physical address (homeless people too) and they use a box address as their mailing address, so why is T-Mobile rejecting box addresses?  

Unfortunately, I’ve found the online chat people (in another country?) are unable to solve most problems like this and just tell me to call, and of course there is no customer service e-mail.  I l tried calling T-Mobile customer service a couple times, but the wait was too long and had other stuff to do.  So if any T-Mobile people are reading this, it is definitely a bug that needs fixing. 

Strangely, on one of the T-Mobile FAQ pages it says that if you update your address via the USPS address change form (paper or online), that will automatically update your T-Mobile billing address.  This seems ill advised, since only you should be able to change the address through your account log-in.  The USPS address change system has its own problems.” 

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

A prepaid account does not need or require a billing address because there is no billing.  You either pay by loading funds or the service does not work.  There is no bill generated by the system.  

yaoran wrote: 

“A prepaid account does not need or require a billing address because there is no billing.  You either pay by loading funds or the service does not work.  There is no bill generated by the system.” 

The T-Mobile prepaid customer “billing address” listed under the My Account page is simply the customer’s contact address for the account.  T-Mobile calls it the billing address on the prepaid account page.  As I wrote, there is also the separately listed e911 address, which it IS allowing to be changed.  (BTW, I believe there is also a Reditt thread on this same issue with the billing address not actually being updated, even when the page response indicates the change was accepted.) 

To clarify, the “billing address” is where T-Mobile will mail you a new SIM card if needed or requested (as they do when you open the account).   Or send any mailed paper notices or other correspondence - which I received right after the SIM.  Also, you can set up Auto-Pay on the prepaid account with a credit card (as well as buy the T-Mobile reload cards).  I assume for the Auto-Pay process to go through, either your credit card physical address or credit card billing address (such as a PO Box) needs to be the same as the T-Mobile “billing address.”  In any case, T-Mobile obviously needs a correct address for the customer if they move.  Otherwise the next person living their is (annoyingly) going to get any T-Mobile ads/promotions/mailings in your name.  And if you request a new SIM or device, they’ve obviously got to have your correct shipping address in their system. T-Mobile prepaid obviously isn’t like having an anonymous burner phone with no address associated with the phone.