Question

Texts on Transferring Service From Verizon

Badge
  • First activity
  • 1 reply

I am considering transferring service from Verizon to T-Mobile. However I understand there is an issue with receiving texts, specifically that texts from Verizon customers do not come through.

1. Is this limited to not receiving texts from  Verizon subscribers?
  2. Is it all Verizon texts or just those for which I have prior text communications in my phone, i.e. do texts from new Verizon contacts come through?
  3. On transferring service do all existing texts transfer okay?
  4. Is the problem limited to Verizon originated texts, i.e do texts from other carriers come through?
  5. Is this a Verizon of T-Mobile issue?
  6. Is there a work-around?

Thx

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

I personally haven’t experienced this issue but everyone I know that is on Verizon, has been on there for ages.  I have seen people mention this only happens when customers port out their numbers from Verizon to other carriers, leading me to believe the issue is intentionally on Verizon’s side.  

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

To add on it seems like it happens mostly is when they bring a Verizon branded phone to Tmobile and it's usually with iPhone users.

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

i have yet to run into this as well. and i text with Verizon phones daily.  oddly enough if you look at Verizons forums you’ll see the same complaints...ditto if you hit up ATTs forums.

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

Hi CGB, You have a lot of questions and I appreciate that our pillars have already jumped in to share some information with you. I just wanted to add on a little more so you have an answer for each question.

1. When you ask if the issue is limited to certain texts, the experience is not typical so there is really no way to define exactly what the limits would be. 
  2. Experiences vary. 
  3. Text messages are saved on your device, not your phone number. If you want to get a new phone when you come over to T-Mobile, there are ways to back up those messages and get them on the new phone, but they are not transferred automatically with your phone number. 
  4. Again, this is not typical so there are not “rules” on what would work or not.
  5. I think syaoran, gramps28, and fireguy_6364 answered this one. 
  6. Normally, when a phone number is moved from one carrier to another the new carrier requests the number from the old carrier, the old carrier hands off the phone number, and then the new carrier sets up all the features that allow the talk, text, and data to work. Sometimes, in the handoff there can be “dual service” where your phone number exists on both. If that happens, it usually clears up in a matter of minutes, but it could take a bit longer and cause these kinds of wonky issues. There are troubleshooting steps that both carriers can do to fix issues if they come up, but normally it is smooth sailing and done in less than 2 hours. 

Hope this helps clarify things.