Question

VPN (SonicWall) will not connect over T-mobile 5G Hotspot

• 24 April 2021
  • 27 replies

Show first post

27 replies

Today (5/22/21), I was advised by tier 2 technical support that T-mobile does not support the use of VPNs through a cell phone hot spot.  This was in response to my issue of not being able to establish an IKEv2 VPN from my laptop through the hot spot on a Samsung S20G FE.   (I can do so using a different ISP without issue).   When I asked for the document that stated as much, it was not immediately available.  I was told I would have a copy within 72 hours.   I am not holding my breath.

I can establish an SSL-based VPN connection through the hotspot, probably because SSL has to be supported for an internet connection to be of any value whatsoever.

I consider this a material failure since T-mobile does not make this information available when one signs up.  I am considering legal action to negate the contract.

I’m experiencing the exact same issue with my Samsung A32 5G. Just activated this phone last Friday and tried to connect to my work VPN over the hotspot and it’s just left to “Connecting”. I tried troubleshooting based on internet suggestions to change the mobile network away from 5G so either (a) LTE/3G/2G or (b) LTE/3G but experienced the same issue. I moved the SIM card to my previous Oneplus 6T and it is working. That is my current workaround but this is seriously an issue that T-Mobile needs to look into and fix. So now I have to carry 2 phones just in case I need to work and access my work file network.