Solved

what's up with T-mobile removing autopay discount for credit cards?

Userlevel 4
Badge

I just literally signed up for a new plan - debit cards have fees for providers too - accessing my bank account isn’t a good approach from a security perspective (noting that T-mobile has been hacked - i wouldn’t have shared this directly with T-mobile customer service but there is not email or chat and I don’t have time for phone calls

Action Needed:
Update your payment method to receive your AutoPay discounts
ACTION NEEDED by 07/17/2023. We’re making changes to the payment methods that qualify for AutoPay discounts. To continue receiving the $25.00 AutoPay discount, you must update your payment method to a debit card or a bank account.

Visit your T-Mobile account to update your payment method and keep your discount by 07/17/2023.
icon

Best answer by syaoran 15 June 2023, 15:48

View original

346 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

That was announced months ago.  It is because credit card companies charge a service charge that is based on the percentage of every transaction, which eats into T-Mobile’s revenue.  Removing the auto pay discount for credit cards negates that.  

Userlevel 4
Badge

that is a cost of doing business - same with debit cards - not a new phenomena and an acceptable practice to provide customers with flexible payment options (also, note that we jut signed up last month)

Userlevel 4

This is just a money grab.  Forcing you to use certain payment options to receive a discount means T-Mobile is having money issues.  Sad to see.

Userlevel 5

Just un-enroll from autopay.  Let them mail you a paper bill and send them a check for payment.  See what that does to their costs.

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

I just got the same message today, I only have 2 phones.  Sorry for your burden.  

I’m torn.  I pay my bill with the 3rd credit card, the orange one, I don’t remember what it’s called, I don’t carry it with me.  Only use it for the cash back.  NOBODY has my bank account info except the mortgage people.  I don’t like to use a debit card since it’s coming right out of my account and if that number becomes breached (thanks t-mo), then that’s a drain on my account.  Is all that worth $10?  Not really sure.

Userlevel 5
Badge

My family will be switching to someone else. Not going to use my debit card or bank account info especially since a T Mobile employee had stolen my credit card number. I was able to get the money back since it was the credit company's money not my own... With a debit card it will be impossible to get the money back if the debit card number gets stolen since it doesn't have the same protection as a credit card... So since my info was already stolen once by these idiots we will be switching to another company now.. This is what happens when you screw over your customers.... It's insane... And T Mobile had 3 data breaches already... 

Userlevel 4

T-Mobile is going to lose a lot of customers they are now behaving like the other carriers with subpar service I call bs on the team of experts because when I call 611 my call gets routed overseas and I can hardly understand the rep on the phone not to mention the data breaches they have had I hope someone gets really smart and bring a class action against them because they are reckless with your info and it’s just flat out wrong. They want your bank info so the next data breach all of your money will disappear 

Userlevel 4

No way to use my debit card to pay T Mobile! I’m highly disappointed from that T Mobile decision..We have family plan with 5 phones and my son starts to look to switch to some other phone company!

Userlevel 4

With all the hacking that happens to large corporations, I don’t feel comfortable allowing access to personal data only to be scooped up by thieves and scammers. This happens too frequently. T-Mobile was already hacked in November of 2022, and although they claim they were able to contain the breach only a day later, it still was vulnerable to a security flaw as large corporations stand. (T-Mobile hack: 37 million customer data stolen in November data breach | CNN Business). At least with credit cards, there are more protective measures in place, as opposed to debit cards or banking policies.

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

cant just toss TMO under the bus when it comes to the hacking without pointing out that ATT and V also got hacked..

Userlevel 4

TMobile can’t keep my data safe and they want me to pay with a bank account or debit card?? NO WAY!!! I believe their offering is already overpriced (look at what Europeans pay for cell service!!) so clawing back the discount with this non consumer friendly scheme just makes TMO way less appealing. This is just a money grab to make their targets, nothing else. Everything in the USA has credit card fees built into their price given that is likely the prevalent way of paying nowadays. After 20 years with Tmobile I am seriously considering switching my family to another provider.

Tmobile - very POOR CHOICE on your part!!

Userlevel 4

This is so WRONG! After suffering *several* hacks & thefts of personal identity information because of T-Mobile's lax security T-Mo now expects me to give them access to my debit card or bank account!?! T-Mo must be CRAZY! NEVER!!!

And, yah, shopping around with other carriers… 

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

This is so WRONG! After suffering *several* hacks & thefts of personal identity information because of T-Mobile's lax security T-Mo now expects me to give them access to my debit card or bank account!?! T-Mo must be CRAZY! NEVER!!!

And, yah, shopping around with other carriers… 

How many other carriers pay the plans taxes when you start looking? I'll be interested.

Userlevel 3

It’s not too late for the corporate decision makers to reverse this terrible decision.

I’m becoming more unimpressed with and disillusioned by T-Mobile every day. Slowly chipping away at the benefits will only drive customers away, so as soon as my two-year “contract” is up, it’s adios.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

It’s not too late for the corporate decision makers to reverse this terrible decision.

I’m becoming more unimpressed with and disillusioned by T-Mobile every day. Slowly chipping away at the benefits will only drive customers away, so as soon as my two-year “contract” is up, it’s adios.

Tmobile doesn't have contracts per se they have equipment installment plans that can be paid off anytime you want.

You also have to remember if you have a tax inclusive plan you're saving that way. How many other carriers offer that?

Userlevel 2

I just got the message too.  It’s stupid.  Especially since I use Apple Pay which gives me the additional 3% cashback on top of the $20 discount

Userlevel 4

I just got the message too.  It’s stupid.  Especially since I use Apple Pay which gives me the additional 3% cashback on top of the $20 discount

And the credit card I pay with has phone insurance covering theft and accidental damage. As long as I pay the bill with it...

Tmobile best rethink this decision. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

And the credit card I pay with has phone insurance covering theft and accidental damage. As long as I pay the bill with it...

Tmobile best rethink this decision. 

I'm in the same boat as you but my Tmobile plan pays my taxes. I don't think many other carriers do that.

Userlevel 3

Add the fact that TMobile is notorius for data breaches. At least you have protection using your credit card, none using your bank account. Just a matter of time before someone gets their checking account wiped out. This business decision sucks.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

I'll still be paying with a credit card.

Add the fact that TMobile is notorius for data breaches. At least you have protection using your credit card, none using your bank account. Just a matter of time before someone gets their checking account wiped out. This business decision sucks.

Userlevel 1

I first thought the text message I received might be a phishing attempt.  So, I logged in to my T-Mo account and it’s interesting that I saw *no* mention of this even when viewing my current Auto Pay settings.  With a bit of news search (and stumbling upon *this* forum) I found it to be legitimate.

Hah!  It seems there might be another reason to push us off of credit card autopay….

(received via FaceBook Messenger)

“I understand not want to provide us with your direct checking account information, but luckily enough, we have an alternate method called the T-Mobile MONEY which is an FDIC-insured, high interest and mobile-first checking account that pays everyone a 2.5% Annual Percentage Yield (APY) on all balances. Find out more about it with this link https://www.t-mobile.com/support/plans-features/t-mobile-money?cmpid=hw_send. I recommend this method in order to keep your bank account under the radar. Let me know how this sounds to you and if you have any questions for me.”

This 3% doesn’t come out of thin air.  It is passed on to the vendor.  I suspect that’s the entire reason for this change.  I too would prefer to use my credit card for the points, but I get why there would be some pushback regarding the processing fees.

Userlevel 4

I don't buy it. A business as large as tmobile whining about cc fees while the mom and pop sub shop I went to yesterday takes all credit cards available and manages to not play the "Woe is me" card.

You mean to tell me tmobile hasn't struck discounted processing fee deals with card processors? As someone who worked in the banking industry, like I said, I don't buy it. 

Userlevel 4

Tip: if you are going to pay with a debit MC or VISA check with your bank if you have an option to turn access to the card on and off. Turn the card on the day before tmobile sucks money out of your account and turn it off as soon as they grabbed your payment. 

PITA having to do that every month but it's one way to keep your per line discount. 

Oh! You do know debit card transactions also charge transaction fees? Next you know we'll have to pay our bill at a local tmobile store. In cash. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

A question for T-Mobile: Does T-Mobile consider the Bluebird Debit card an eligible payment method for the Autopay discount?