Solved

what's up with T-mobile removing autopay discount for credit cards?

Show first post

346 replies

Userlevel 3

Ok I just here to see when this was announced bc I rec’d the text message. I’ll be switching carriers soon.

Userlevel 2

“ It is because credit card companies charge a service charge that is based on the percentage of every transaction”

I dislike the way this is stated because its comes off as anti-bank and pro-Tmobile, or like this is something new that got sprung on Tmobile.

Transaction Fees ALWAYS exist, are not anything new, the % is between 1 to 4%, typically. For a giant company like Tmobile with their volume of customers and transactions, their transactions fees will be on the lower side of the average, not more.

its very simple:  Some data analyst at Tmobile pulled a report of how many users pay Autopay via credit card, they calculated the total merchant fees paid and then compared to the discounts offered and some exec somewhere didnt like the math.  “We gave them $5 and had to pay $1 to the bank...”

If they are good at analysis, they would forecast the inevitable increase in aging AR due to people dropping out of auto-pay and/or loss of subscribers.  That also means the money they make from not paying fees offsets whatever hit they take to their AR or customer loss.   So in the end, Tmobile is really saying the # of people paying auto-pay with a CC is enough to save a few bucks on fees, but not impactful enough where the increase in AR and loss of customers will be felt.

I mean, that's assuming they were thorough.  But unfortunately, they may be predicting right.  After the initial wave of anger and people dropping in and out subsides, that line graph will just continue with barely a blip.  The other reality is they can always just raise price anytime, so they could give us back the $5 while increasing the plan price by $5.  There’s no way to beat Tmobile at this game other than to just leave.

Userlevel 3

Are there ay lawyers out there? I don’ think it is legal to change the rules after you already made an agreement. What about a Class action law suite ??? I have been using my CC since I started with T-mobile in 2022 Feb. Now I will lose my discount. I chatted with them and was told that it is because people will pay with CC, get the discount, then revers the charge, REally? I don’t think that is the case. How can they really expect someone to be forced to use a personal checking account or debit card to receive the discount. I can choose to use my CC but at a cost now of 20.00 a month, this is basically a charge to protect my checking account from being hacked. 

Userlevel 3

Since TM has a nasty habit of getting hacked, it seems that there are only 3 options: 

1: Continue to pay with a CC, lose $10 and keep your decking account safe from TM’s poor security. 

2: Get a 2nd smaller no-fee checking account and have TM bill it there and keep your $10 discount. 

3: Find a new provider that doesn't get hacked every week. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

so which one are you going for since all 3 have been hacked?

Userlevel 3

That is true. Security seems to be a joke with all of these companies as of late. Guess that means only options would be 1 and 2 since I will never give TM access to my primary checking account. The discount is not worth the security risk. I personally will be using option 2. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

That is true. Security seems to be a joke with all of these companies as of late. Guess that means only options would be 1 and 2 since I will never give TM access to my primary checking account. The discount is not worth the security risk. I personally will be using option 2. 

You don't have to. Keep paying with your credit card. There's stores out there that hit you with a surcharge when you uses a credit card or charges you a fee to get money back on a debit card.

Userlevel 3

I just got the text from TMobile about the autopay with credit card no longer receiving a discount as promised.  I consider this as TMobile breaching the service agreement.  And since TMobile is beaching the agreement, all agreements are off including arbitration.  I will file a PUC complaint and join any and all class action lawsuits.

Really TMobile?  You think you're going to get access to our debit card or bank accounts? NO!  You think you're going to take away our discounts and still get to charge our credit cards?  NO!  Time to switch back to paper billing and we will send you electronic checks (no stamp required) until we switch to another service.  Good bye TMobile!!

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

I just got the text from TMobile about the autopay with credit card no longer receiving a discount as promised.  I consider this as TMobile breaching the service agreement.  And since TMobile is beaching the agreement, all agreements are off including arbitration.  I will file a PUC complaint and join any and all class action lawsuits.

Really TMobile?  You think you're going to get access to our debit card or bank accounts? NO!  You think you're going to take away our discounts and still get to charge our credit cards?  NO!  Time to switch back to paper billing and we will send you electronic checks (no stamp required) until we switch to another service.  Good bye TMobile!!

Auto pay discount is not part of the service agreement. Also if you read the terms and conditions for Tmobile service they can make changes as they see fit. Good luck with the class.

Userlevel 3

Credit card fees are only 3%.  This loss of discount is a major money grab.  Considering how frequently TMobile gets hacked it would be crazy to link a bank or debit card to the account.  Remember, there are no safeguards automatically in place for fraud using a debit card like there is for a credit card.  I really don’t want someone to drain my banking accounts.

Verizon will only let you use their credit card. ATT will accept any credit card.  

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Credit card fees are only 3%.  This loss of discount is a major money grab.  Considering how frequently TMobile gets hacked it would be crazy to link a bank or debit card to the account.  Remember, there are no safeguards automatically in place for fraud using a debit card like there is for a credit card.  I really don’t want someone to drain my banking accounts.

Verizon will only let you use their credit card. ATT will accept any credit card.  

Verizon and AT&T got hacked recently also. Credit card fees vary depending on the company used to process them.

Userlevel 3

Nevertheless, consumer credit cards offer fraud protection automatically.  Not so with a debit card.  If someone obtains access to my credit card information through a cellular company hack, I have some protection, but may not have protection if they drain my account via a debit card.  Some banks, but not all, extend the protection on debit cards, but from what I have read banks are reluctant to reimburse debit card fraud even if the protection was offered.

I am not sure if I got the same message.  It said, “T-Mobile:ACTION NEEDED by 07/23/2023. We’re making changes to the payment methods that qualify for AutoPay discounts.  To continue receiving your $20.00 AutoPay discount, you must update your payment method to a debit card or a bank account.  To keep your discount, please visit t-mo.co/AutoPay23 to update your payment method by 07/23/2023. So I didn’t click the link, but called T-Mobile.  I asked about this text but the T-Mobile representative didn’t really understand my question, so I updated my credit card info.  He said everything was good to go and I will be getting the discount.  Then the next day I got a message that said I am no longer eligible for the monthly $20 AutoPay discount.  Make one-time payment at t-mo.co/pay35 or enroll in AutoPay again at t-mo.co/AutoPay18.  Also I got an email from my bank that said $256 was changed from T-MOBILE*AUTOPAY.  I called T-Mobile and they said they didn’t take my money so I had to call my back to close the debit/credit card, dispute the charge, etc.  I believe it was a scam.  Did anyone else get the same thing??

Userlevel 3

I received an almost identical text message today.  I was suspicious of the message and went to my T-Mobile account online and never saw any notice to change my payment method.  I never click on text messages.  Then i found this discussion on T-Mobile community and thought it was true.  Now, with your comments I am thinking it has been a scam all along.  Because of the T-Mobile hack they have our phone numbers and more.  If you have been scammed, then it is T-Mobile’s fault for not having secure safeguards for your information.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

I posted 4 months ago that this change was coming.

https://community.t-mobile.com/accounts-services-4/auto-pay-with-credit-cards-ends-49144

I am not keen on providing my debit card or bank account number.  After waiting on hold for an hour, the technician told me that she would apply a credit to cover auto-pay for 3 months.  Then after that, I would resume auto-pay and could still use my credit card.  Not sure why they didn’t just leave things as they were.  We’ll see if what she said actually happens.  If not, I will likely cancel auto-pay and send them a check every month.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

If not, I will likely cancel auto-pay and send them a check every month.

Isn't that kind of a hassle to send a check every month and rely on USPS to deliver it? They lose mail all the time.

Userlevel 1

It’s not too late for the corporate decision makers to reverse this terrible decision.

I’m becoming more unimpressed with and disillusioned by T-Mobile every day. Slowly chipping away at the benefits will only drive customers away, so as soon as my two-year “contract” is up, it’s adios.

Tmobile doesn't have contracts per se they have equipment installment plans that can be paid off anytime you want.

You also have to remember if you have a tax inclusive plan you're saving that way. How many other carriers offer that?

Nobody else have been hacked 3 times, lost 85% (probably 100%) of existing clients data and all data from previous customers. And they made settlement that will give each customer they lost data $13??? Nowhere in the world credit card payment costs any company $20 on $150 bill (if you ever paid anything to goverment you will see that they charge up to 3% from amount).

Also with all the data they lost with adding bank account or debit card, I might as well give them power of attorney…

Most likely, when they made certain commitments last year (commercial "never raise prizes, Thanksgiving=same price, Christmass=same price, Valentines Day=same price, etc...), they didn't calculate on inflation/smaller revenue due to loss of customer data/other carriers promotions, etc… for reaching bonuses for revenue and now they're trying with this stupid excuse, like we are living on Mars.

You should be ashame of yourself T-mobile for trying to treat us like sheeps!!!

Userlevel 1

Verizon and AT&T got hacked recently also. Credit card fees vary depending on the company used to process them.

You seem very informed and in favor of T-mobile like you are their bot.

Please tell me any credit card fee more then 4% or $3.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

You seem very informed and in favor of T-mobile like you are their bot.

Please tell me any credit card fee more then 4% or $3.

Not a bot I posted about this 4 months ago with my opinion. Now I've had time to think about it and with a tax exempt plan and couldn't switch without paying more money.

https://community.t-mobile.com/accounts-services-4/auto-pay-with-credit-cards-ends-49144

All I said is credit cards vary. The company I use for work is Paytrace and it's 3 percent.

It does not matter who the company is because many companies are suffering through these difficult times (you know, interest rate hikes) and just because T-Mobile is huge doesn't mean that they aren't struggling too, it also doesn't mean they're going broke. That would take a monumental screw up on their part. Credit card fees are the cost of doing business but it is also prudent for businesses to recuperate money to keep profit margins high.

Somebody in here stated that T-Mobile is hurting for money but that is definitely far from the truth and as far as the breaches, I can tell you that I have been a victim of many breaches. I don't worry because I have a lock on all my credit reports which can be easily lifted at any time,  for free. Ask me how and I will share. My credit union also has a fully-featured app which allows me to lock my card if there's any trouble, and if there is an unauthorized payment, then they will take care of it. Many companies are victims of breaches and only a few companies would be stupid enough not to invest in security measures and be very transparent with their customers. I was a victim of the recent T-Mobile breach and T-Mobile was very transparent and communicative. My social security was even tapped from the breach but as I have stated, I lock my credit reports. There was no attempt on my credit file to this date yet.

Yes, it sucks not being able to get the cash rewards on the credit card, I am with you on that because I was considering moving to that option. I'm not going to let it upset me to the point that I would consider my carrier a piece of garbage, so-to-speak.

In my opinion, the only real risk is if you are part of an older generation or a financially irresponsible individual that has a real problem with payment methods and security features for modern times. If this is the case, I suggest you lay down your paranoia somewhat and try to focus on the present and what you can do to better protect yourself and those you care about, not squabbling about using a different payment method.

Hoping the best and that this helps.

Userlevel 2
Badge

I just received my text notice from T-Mobile about qualifying payment methods today. As if T-Mobile hasn’t slid down the customer service ratings enough, those in their pink, ivory towers throw down another gauntlet to inconvenience their loyal customers.

After, nearly two and a half years as a T-Mobile customer, I am searching elsewhere for a company to provide my mobile phone service. It has been evident from the problems T-Mobile customers have been suffering through over the past year (customer care, technical support, service issues, data breaches) that retaining a solid customer base isn’t the top priority of T-Mobile’s C-Suite. Wise corporate executives know it’s much easier for a company to keep its current client base than to try and obtain new customers.

Making an concerted effort to use creative ways to keep their customers happy, T-Mobile can implement strategies to permit customers to continue their use of credit cards without penalty. One method is to grandfather in, existing, long-term, customers and permit these customers to use existing payment methods via credit card while still receiving auto-pay discounts.

Ditch some of the non-beneficial perks and T-Mobile offers. The offers occurring on T-Mobile Tuesdays have been dismal for many months. Most of the content on Netflix isn’t worth watching. SiriusXM is not a topnotch music streaming service. I can easily live without several T-Mobile perks in exchange for the ability to use my credit card. I will bet other T-Mobile customers are willing to do the same.

Despite the customer care and technical issues I have been experiencing for almost a year, I had decided to continue to be a T-Mobile customer. The recent and regrettable T-Mobile policy on acceptable payment methods for auto-pay discounts has extinguished any remaining loyalties to T-Mobile that might have kept me as a customer.

Userlevel 2

This is very irritating to say the least.  CC are a part of doing business everywhere.  It doesn’t cost $5 a line to process a credit card.  Also, they only charged me once a month for all my services.  That’s one credit card transaction, but they are going to charge for each line.  That’s just wrong.  If they wanted to charge $5 for each transaction, that’s one thing.  But to charge $5 for each line in once transaction is criminal.  Time to decide which greedy company I should change to next. 

What protections is TMO putting in place?  As it has been shown that they don’t know how to protect data why should I feel safe giving direct access to my bank account?  Where are my rights listed?  

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

What protections is TMO putting in place?  As it has been shown that they don’t know how to protect data why should I feel safe giving direct access to my bank account?  Where are my rights listed?  

You can keep the payment with a credit card you just don't get the autopay discount.