Question

Why is my Pixel 3 not eligible for a new SIM card?

• 1 February 2021
  • 1 reply

Badge
  • First activity
  • 0 replies

I have been a Sprint customer for over 15 years now, with very few issues. Once T-Mobile and Sprint merged I began to see the quality of my cell service drop over time, and then I received an email stating that I could come in to a T-Mobile store for a “SIM swap” to take advantage of the “T-Mobile Network Experience”. 

When I went in to the T-Mobile store, the employee told me that he could swap my SIM card in just a few minutes. Then, after putting in all of my information he said that my phone did not qualify for the SIM swap and that I would have to upgrade to a new phone to qualify. He even showed me on the computer that the system was prompting him to tell me this. 

I have an unlocked Pixel 3, that I purchased outright from Google two years ago. The phone is even listed as a compatible device by T-Mobile here (https://www.t-mobile.com/coverage/lte-band-compatible-devices). 

The employee at the store told me that Sprint towers are being shut down, and that my service will continue getting worse until I get a T-Mobile SIM card. It seems that T-Mobile is trying to force me in to spending hundreds of dollars on a new phone just to have decent service again. I feel like I’m being scammed here. Does anyone have information on why I can’t get a T-Mobile SIM card for my Pixel 3? I’ve tried getting answers in store and through the customer service chat function online with no actual answer other than “Your phone doesn’t qualify”. I should be given a new SIM regardless of the phone if the merger is causing Sprint customers to lose service as the towers are being shut down. 

Any help or suggestions are appreciated. 

Thanks.

1 reply

I too, am having the same issue.  In my case the Pixel 3 was originally purchased through Verizon, unlocked, and used on Sprints network.  From everything I can find, my phone should have the GSM antenna (what is necessary for TMobiles network), however the gentleman in the store told me it didn’t have it.  My phone even has an EMEI number, which I thought also meant that a GSM antenna was present.  Furthermore, TMobiles website tells me the device is compatible when I plug in that EMEI number.  I don’t want to be forced to buy a new device.  Did you get any resolution on this?