Solved

Why is T-mobile charging for WhatsApp international video calls?

Show first post

28 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

It’s NOT the carriers.  It’s how whatsapp handles calls.  If the handoff fails it’ll go through cellular instead of OIP.  To ensure you don’t go over cellular turn off cellular before you make the call.  This happens to ALL carriers around the world not just in the USA.

Carriers can’t prompt switching because it’s NOT their choice to switch you over it’s whatsapp. Also FCC got rid of those prompt calls unless you are calling collect or it’s a party line last I remember.

It has gotten worse the past few years since Facebook or Meta if you will took over Whatsapp.

WhatsApp does not switch calls over to the phone line. It might use cellular data if the WiFi is not good, but that is not a reason for the carriers to charge per minute fee for data usage for which they already charge, either based on limited gigabytes or unlimited data plans.

It uses an API which uses your DIALER to initiate the call.  That IS the problem. It doesn’t actually use it’s own dialer.  What happens when WIFI fails there is a chance it’ll use the actual landline instead of mobile data.  That’s why I say their app is trash. They’ve know why and how it happens but they haven’t changed it.  To ensure it doesn’t hand off to cellular you put  your phone on airplane and turn wifi on.  If the calls fails that was a chance you could have had it hand off incorrectly.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Well…it happened again! Even if it is not T-Mobile’s fault, they should at least send the customer a text telling there will be a charge for international calls, but they don’t. Other junk texts they send all the time: evaluation after customer service calls, special promotions, etc. So, after 15 years, I’m dropping T-Mobile for good. And guess what; Verizon, the best company out there, is cheaper now. They pay $800 on your cell phone when you trade it in and they have a program for calls to other Countries, what I’m getting, so they can never charge me for international calls. And even after adding that, still cheaper than T-Mobile. Good bye T-mobile!!!

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

Well…it happened again! Even if it is not T-Mobile’s fault, they should at least send the customer a text telling there will be a charge for international calls, but they don’t. Other junk texts they send all the time: evaluation after customer service calls, special promotions, etc. So, after 15 years, I’m dropping T-Mobile for good. And guess what; Verizon, the best company out there, is cheaper now. They pay $800 on your cell phone when you trade it in and they have a program for calls to other Countries, what I’m getting, so they can never charge me for international calls. And even after adding that, still cheaper than T-Mobile. Good bye T-mobile!!!

you should probably do a tad bit of research before making such claims…

https://community.verizon.com/t5/My-Verizon/Fraudulent-Long-Distance-Charges/m-p/1226761

https://community.verizon.com/t5/My-Verizon/Fraudulant-International-Charges-usiing-WhatsApp/m-p/1210097

https://community.verizon.com/t5/Verizon-Wireless-Services/Got-charged-international-minutes-for-using-whatsapp-to-call/m-p/1205721

their search list on this subject alone had quite a few more examples..i snagged the first couple..