Question

Why won't T-Mobile help with IMEI

• 23 December 2022
  • 5 replies

Badge

I'm not eligible for any good phone upgrades, so I wanted to purchase a high end used phone. 

It's a S-22 Ultra on the T-mobile network and from a highly rated Ebay seller. Public IMEI data base shows no problems. But as I understand it, if T-Mobile decides they are owed money from original purchaser, they could still block in future. 

So I called T-Mobile and could get NO HELP on whether money is owed on the phone or whether T-Mobile might still block the phone.

This seems to prevent making a safe purchase of a used T-Mobile network phone.

Is there some way to make to purchase a used T-mobile phone without concern about future company blocks?

Otherwise, I guess I'm taking the message that when one wants a upgraded phone, it's time to switch carriers.

5 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

I'm not eligible for any good phone upgrades, so I wanted to purchase a high end used phone. 

It's a S-22 Ultra on the T-mobile network and from a highly rated Ebay seller. Public IMEI data base shows no problems. But as I understand it, if T-Mobile decides they are owed money from original purchaser, they could still block in future. 

Try googling T-Mobiles IMEI checker,  run a check there and see if there are any issues with the device listed by them. If none show there you should be good to go.

Badge

Thanks for that checker info. Interestingly that T-mobile online checker said it didn't have info on this IMEI. Although, t-mobile support said phone not currently blocked. And the Swappa checker shows no problem.

But let me try to be more clear. My concern is that the phone could be blocked in coming months if original purchaser hasn't paid off the phone to T-Mobile.  And stops paying.  That seems like a very possible scenario...  I just wanted to find out if there was a balance owed to t mobile...

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

I understand completely but T-Mobile won’t give you that info unless you are the phones original owner.

Other than that you are just going to have to take a chance and roll the dice and hope they don’t come up on craps. Foe what it’s worth I’ve had good success with buying phones on Ebay. I wish you well also.

Today Is The Tomorrow You Worried About Yesterday

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Thanks for that checker info. Interestingly that T-mobile online checker said it didn't have info on this IMEI. Although, t-mobile support said phone not currently blocked. And the Swappa checker shows no problem.

But let me try to be more clear. My concern is that the phone could be blocked in coming months if original purchaser hasn't paid off the phone to T-Mobile.  And stops paying.  That seems like a very possible scenario...  I just wanted to find out if there was a balance owed to t mobile...

Personally you’re better off to buy one from Swappa. Their policy is better than eBay.

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

I also highly recommend Swappa.  It is the safest and most reliable site to buy a second hand device.from in my opinion.