Solved

Converting WMA files to MP3 on S24 Plus

• 28 January 2024
  • 7 replies

Badge

I just migrated my files from my old S10 to my new S24 Plus using Samsung’s Smart Switch.   
The music files on the S10 are WMA format.
I have original copies on my local network which I can convert to MP3 or FLAC
After I’ve converted them, how can I find where the WMA files were stored on the S24 by Smart Switch?

I’d like to delete the WMA files off of the S24 and replace them with the MP3 or FLAC versions

I’ve connected the S24 to my laptop and searched on *.wma, but none were fond.

icon

Best answer by rayotown 28 January 2024, 17:40

View original

7 replies

Badge

After sIeeping on it, I was able to figure this out…

To find the WMA files, I used the Samsung “My Files” app and in the search field entered WMA.
After selecting one file, I was able to “Select All” and then send them all to Trash.

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

You should never use SmartSwitch when setting up a new Samsing device from one that didn't have the same Android OS version on it.  It will potentially cause issues that will only be able to be resolved with a factory reset.  

Badge

Hi Syaoran -

Sorry to hear you’ve had issues with SmartSwitch.
Both Samsung and TMobile advised using SmartSwitch to transfer my files, settings, etc from the S10 to the S24.  

For me, the transfer itself was very smooth with no issues.

The only problem I encountered was that the Amdroid OS no longer supports the WMA file format.

For others that may encounter problems using SmartSwitch, what do you recommend?

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Anyone encounter issues using SmartSwitch, a factory reset without restoring data is recommended.  There are third party apps for backing up texts and contacts but over the years, settings paths and other behind the scenes things change, which can lead to issues.  

Personally, I have never used WMA files.  All of my music and ringtones have alwaya been stored in mp3 since the days of the Sidekicks.  For the sake of compatibility between device manufacturers, ringtones should be 160 bitrate for mp3's or lower.  

Badge

Syaoran -
Do you happen to know of a conversion tool that, in addition to converting the file to the new format, also applies the original track number to the converted file?

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

There are tons of things out there that are free.  WMA to MP3 through any search should get you a bunch of things that will work.  

Badge

Yes, but, not that include the functionality that I described.

Thanks for trying.  All the best.