Question

Does Android/Samsung Galaxy S23 have "Automatic Call Audio Routing" like iPhone?

Badge

I’m looking to buy a smart phone for my elderly mother and I would much rather go with Samsung than iPhone because I could buy her a Galaxy S23 for her birthday for the same price it would cost to get an iPhone SE which is really the bottom of the iPhone lineup. But I need to know if the Galaxy S23 has the “Automatic Call Audio Routing” feature like the iPhone does.

On iPhone you don’t even need to have a bluetooth device to enable this feature. For my mother who is hard of hearing, being able to rout calls automatically to speaker means that she doesn’t even have to lift the phone to her ear. She can take all calls through the speaker automatically. 

Can anyone tell me if the S23 has this feature enabled? I haven’t been able to get a clear answer from anyone so far on this topic. Here’s what it looks like on iPhone:

Thank you in advance, 😀 

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

I have never heard of that feature specifically but it might be called something else on Samsung devices.  I know you can pair most Android phones with hearing aids.  Like my grandmother does with her Pixel 6a and did also with the Pixel XL she had before that.  You just need to remind them that just because they can hear the call, that they still need to pick up the phone so people can hear them speak.  

Badge

Thank you syaoran. I’m thinking that there has to be some setting I’m not aware of. I’m sure that everything Apple has thought of, Samsung has as well. But so far I’m not seeing that option. I did find that you can tell Bixby to call someone on speaker, but I haven’t seen a Menu Setting where it can actually be set that way. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

Are you talking speakerphone or an actual speaker?  If it’s an actual speaker than it most definitely runs BT and it is paired automatically using Apples Home Kit. If it’s the speakerphone then there is no setting per say.

I believe you can turn on Bixby to answer calls and it will put it to speaker or to your ear based on orientation of the device. Can even snooze alarms and turn them off under the same setting.  You have to go directly into Bixby settings

Badge

Hi tidbits, sorry I should have clarified my original post. I meant routing automatically to speakerphone, not a bluetooth speaker or headset as we don’t have either one. iPhone has that option in its call audio routing menu so that you don’t have to say “answer on speakerphone”. You can set it to automatically do so. I’d like to know if Samsung has that feature and if not, is there a third party app that can make the S23 do that?

It might not seem like a necessary feature, but this phone would be for my elderly mother who may not remember to say “answer on speaker”. I’m just trying to see if that function can be automated for her. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

Talk to Bixby is the closest and that has is Answer on speakerphone sadly.  I am unsure if the newest Pixel Line has the option.  I am currently using an S23 series, and probably switch to the newest iPhone and the S24 series when it comes out.  Google took away the option to use Miracast and forces you to use chrome cast.

Badge

Thanks again for the info tidbits. Yes, what’s crazy is that even with TMobile’s promo, the cheapest iphone (the SE) is more expensive than the S23+ (which is second only to Samsung’s flagship S23 Ultra in features). I’d like to get my mother the S23+ for all its features, wireless charging (so she doesn’t have to deal with cables), its size (not to big not too small), and it’s long-lasting battery 4700 mAh vs the iPhone SE’s 1800 or so mAh. But the one great feature that will make life easy for her is iPhone’s call audio routing feature. I’ll see if I can get her to remember to say “call ...so and so... on speakerphone”.

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

Apple doesn’t approve a lot of trade in promos is the only reason for the price differences as well as Apple dictates all the prices and carriers have to abide by.  It’s a heavy handed thing Apple does with all of their device 3rd party retailers.