Question

Email to Text

• 9 August 2023
  • 3 replies

Badge

I used to be able to receive test via email using the email to text feature.  Email is generated from an outlook account and sent to a gmail account.  The feature used to work however has stopped within the last year.  This is an automated email that is sent from a piece of machinery that will send a fault email notification when the machine has an error or fault issues.  

I have used the 10 digit phone number @tomail.net.  All with no luck via the automated.  I have also tried just using from another email directly from a PC, with no luck either.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

3 replies

I have the same problem. Looks like it’s time for a call to support.

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

E-mail to SMS is only allowed from companies that have been vetted by T-Mobile.  This was a practice put into place to significantly cut down on spam via SMS.

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

Email to text is a great feature that has been around for a very long time. It is not designed for automated text messages of any kind since it is a very limited technology service. Character limits are very low which could cause incoming messages to fail. Email to text also has very aggressive spam filtering because designed for low usage, person-to-person messages. Messages from senders that include info, admin, test, alert, and other keywords in the from email address can be blocked along with any messages that are identified as automated. 

Getting alerts from your machine when there are failures is super important, so I know that you don’t want to miss a single one. In order to ensure that you get every message, you are going to want to set that outlook account to send to a real email address rather than the one tied to your phone number.