Question

Fix RCS

• 5 September 2023
  • 3 replies

Badge +1

When is T-Mobile going to switch the RCS provider on Google Messages back over to Jibe for those who are phones such as S22 and S23? All troubleshooting that can be done has been done. My wife and I have the same same phone, the S23. Samsung Messages always works but Google Messages is so inconsistent with messages hanging and not going out. It’s not uncommon for it to hang for 15 minutes if I let it. And the send as SMS is only if RCS isn’t connected which my RCS shows connected all the time so it will only send as SMS if I tell it to. AT&T had the same issue and they switched back to Jibe. It doesn’t make sense when there are older phones out there that use Jibe. No one at T-Mobile is talking and always wants to troubleshoot.

3 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

Google could easily switch back on their own.  AT&T used their own standard which wasn’t the GSM standard.  T-Mobile uses the GSM standard and should work fine if the interloping is done correctly.  Since Samsung Messages works it tells me it isn’t T-Mobile, but Google that has the interloping problem.  Samsung Messages uses T-Mobile servers, and Google uses their own.  If using Samsung Messages and everything works fine even with interloping, but Google has problems shows it’s a Google issue.  If you go to Google Messages forums hosted by Google a lot of people still have the same problems you have even if Jibe is the RCS host.

Food for thought. Google Pixel phones don’t have problems and depending where you bought the phone it’ll either use Jibe or carrier servers.

FYI I’ve said this when Google bought Jibe.  They’ll push a standard and then unload it carriers as early as possible as they are not going to willing to maintain it without anything to gain from it.  When carriers get interloping down Google will retire Jibe.  I am willing to put money on it.  It’s their MO for decades.

Ironically a coworker of mine uninstalled carrier services and it worked for him.

Badge +1

I’ve uninstalled carrier services before as well. It still is touch and go. I recently did it again and going to test that out a little further. Whether it’s Google or T-Mobile, it’s still T-Mobile who decided who to configure Google Messages on new phones to be the RCS backend and not touch older phones or unlocked phones. So really, it’s on T-Mobile to make the changes to make this work no matter who the RCS provider is. Also, I’ve noticed that photos and videos are compressed if sent as a photo or video. If I send it as a file under the 100 MB limit, it usually doesn’t touch it. For instance, it drops the photo down to about a 3 megapixal photo. If a video is over 30 MB it will compress that. I don’t understand why. It use to send them untouched. Samsung messages actually compresses photos a little too which just confirms it’s T-Mobile. It doesn’t make sense to do that if it’s under the RCS size limit. And yes, the send photos faster is turned off.

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

I’ve uninstalled carrier services before as well. It still is touch and go. I recently did it again and going to test that out a little further. Whether it’s Google or T-Mobile, it’s still T-Mobile who decided who to configure Google Messages on new phones to be the RCS backend and not touch older phones or unlocked phones. So really, it’s on T-Mobile to make the changes to make this work no matter who the RCS provider is. Also, I’ve noticed that photos and videos are compressed if sent as a photo or video. If I send it as a file under the 100 MB limit, it usually doesn’t touch it. For instance, it drops the photo down to about a 3 megapixal photo. If a video is over 30 MB it will compress that. I don’t understand why. It use to send them untouched. Samsung messages actually compresses photos a little too which just confirms it’s T-Mobile. It doesn’t make sense to do that if it’s under the RCS size limit. And yes, the send photos faster is turned off.

No Google unloaded it. They themselves chose to pass it off to carriers at their convenience. As I pointed out Google SHOULD have waited until interloping was tested and good to go before handing it off. Also Jibe to Jibe or even Just Jibe itself still has issues with itself on Google own forums. 

Google MO is to push the standard and dump it on carriers as soon as possible. They do not want to maintain it. They've done this for years with various projects.  Never heard of people call Google Forever Beta?