Question

Help figuring Moto G6 compatibily w/3G, 4G, 5G

• 12 March 2022
  • 4 replies

Badge

I just spent the last month trying to understand why my phone shut down and now believe that my previous company (I am joining TMobile as of yesterday)did not inform we as to “why” my phone was deemed incompatible with the new SIM they sent out.

Can someone help me with making sure my phone is only 3G, not 4G for sure?  It is only about 2-3 years old, but still running V. 9 Android, but it won’t update to any later version.  It’s a Moto G6 said to have come out in 2018.

I am thinking it is the phone itself, and TMobile just told me yesterday my phone will work with the plan I ordered.  I am concerned that I am getting (in the mail) a SIM for just 3G, or, TMobile Sales person is sending me a 4 or 5G that won’t work on my phone either.

Can someone help me?  Thanks for any help/suggestions, Denise

PS I have no problem going ahead an buying a new phone as I am finding my Moto G6 is outdated and the way technology is moving so fast, it’s either sink or swim ;)

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

they are shutting down 2G and 3G here pretty soon..as is they wont allow any devices into their system that are not at least 4G AND must have VoLTE capabilities (Voice over LTE)..

Badge

Thank you fireguy_6364, I appreciate the help.  I did get an account with Tmobile as the store was open yesterday :)  I am understanding much better now, and glad you mentioned the VoLTE as old service provides sent a SIM that was right, but it didn’t work for my Moto G6.  I don’t understand why it didn’t because it showed it was working for 2 weeks, calls made, text etc. and it showed the 4G Icon at the top right.

I have to go back to the TMobile store though as I don’t like the Samsungs navigation, but they also had a newer Moto I can get ;)  ty again, Denise

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

If you’re not as picky on a phone Tmobile is offering a 5g phone for free with bill credits and an any working phone trade in. It’s just limited to a couple of entry level phones though.

Badge

If you’re not as picky on a phone Tmobile is offering a 5g phone for free with bill credits and an any working phone trade in. It’s just limited to a couple of entry level phones though.

I heard about it yesterday but my Moto G6 wasn’t a trade in option.  Technology moves fast, and so does the money out of my pocket :grin: The good news is, they are giving the bill-credit free phone, and thank goodness they have a newer Moto.  I am hoping that will be more of the same navigation I’m use to.  I know it will have changes as I’ll be going from V.9 Android, to version 11. :wink:

Thank you gramps, so appreciate it :thumbsup_tone2: Denise