Solved

How do you fully delete facebook off your phone?

As more and more reports of the facebook app just being spyware/malware I would like to know how to remove it off my phone. Current reports show even if you don't have an account and haven't opened the app it still spies on your every move. If that is true then even disabling it does nothing.

I have a Samsung Galaxy S9 plus,  so I'm unable to install an alternate OS like lineage since my boot loader is locked.

Any help would be appreciated.

icon

Best answer by tmo_chris 21 June 2018, 18:06

View original

15 replies

Userlevel 3

You should be able to uninstall it from settings. If not you can disable it.

Thank you for the reply.  But that only removes part of the problem.  I still have facebook app installer and facebook app manager which won't let me disable or uninstall.  

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Luckily on my LG V30 it's not preinstalled.

Userlevel 4

So Facebook is one of the pre-installed apps on the phone so it cannot be fully removed. Even though the boot loader is locked, it is not impossible to root. This is not something that we support or recommend that you do as it voids the warranty but it is your device and you can do with it as you please.

Userlevel 3

I was able to remove the Facebook app just fine on my T-Mobile S9+....just tap and hold the icon and then select uninstall.

Userlevel 3

Hey, @rapidfire​!

Did the info from  @j.a.r.v.i.s help you delete your FB app?

@Amanda no it didn't, I still have Facebook installer and Facebook app manager.   I haven't been able to find a way to root my phone so I haven't been able to test two_chris answer. If you know how to it would be great.

Having been a Tmobile employee, they won't be able to tell you how to root your phone and void your warranty. However, I did find a forum and a video on how to proceed. I would recommend backing up everything beforehand, and reading all the instructions carefully first:

highonandroid.com/android-smartphones/how-to-root-galaxy-s9-or-s9-plus-exynos-supersu/

Userlevel 3

@jarednthomas is correct in stating that we cannot walk you through rooting your phone as it's something we do not recommend due to it voiding the manufacturer's warranty.

Userlevel 3

Also that will not work on our devices. I would strongly recommend not trying this as it will probably brick your phone. This is only for the international version with a different processor and not compatible with the US variants of the phone.

@tmo_amanda​   per the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act of 1975 and the the FTC you are lying about the warranty.   Now to  @jarednthomas​ post, if I used that it would brick my phone to my understanding. As that MOD is for an EXYNOS processor which I don't have. I have a Snapdragon and in said article it clearly states which models that method would work on.  I have a SM-G965U, which Tmobile has chosen to install spyware on in violation of State law and Federal law. Now I'll just monitor my facebook app manager, and facebook install app which can't be disabled or uninstalled and if they're contacting facebook I'll file a FTC complaint and contact my lawyer.

This root method supports:

Galaxy S9 – SM-G960F, SM-G960F/DS, Korean SM-G960N

Galaxy S9 Plus – SM-G965F, SM-G965F/DS, Korean SM-G965N

I

Userlevel 4

If you are interesting in moving forward with the option to root your device, I would suggest reaching out on the XDA developer forums, they are a better resource for exploring that option than here as we are limited to what information we can give by manufacturer. As already mentioned, that route does come with risks including the possibility of a device brick.

It doesn't appear there is an option to remove the app directly, we'll definitely get this feedback passed along to Samsung for feedback on future builds!

-Lauren

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

I'm a little rusty since it's been over 30 years since I studied law but the Act you're quoting is based on having a 3rd party work on your, let's say car, then you taking  the car to the.dealership and the dealership said you voided the warranty because you didn't get it serviced by them.

Your lawyer will tell you the same thing.

@gramps28​     When it was originally passed thats what its purpose was for.  But like all laws and Acts they are expanded. I'll use a quote from an article from motherboard and I'll post a link to the article it is a good read. 

The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act, passed by Congress in 1975, notes that "a warrantor cannot, as a matter of law, avoid liability under a written warranty where a defect is unrelated to the use by a consumer of 'unauthorized' articles or service."

motherboard.vice.com        The next paragraph from the article covers how the FTC interpreted that language for rooting.

@tmo_lauren (this mention system sucks )

I've already looked on XDA ( I haven't asked on their forum ) and the only options are for Samsung devices outside of the U.S. All those options might cause damage to my device since its looked down. When contacting Samsung they've informed me that Tmobile is the one thats locking down the phone, thats why I opened this thread asking the community.  Wish I could fully use the device I fully own, without being worried about spyware. Now I don't know if Samsung was truthful, and with the claims of Facebook giving companies user data and Samsung named in that I doubt they are, but then again I don't know if Tmobile is partnered with facebook either.

Now Facebook the app you see is "removable" but facebook app installer and Facebook manager are not and reenable themselves after being disabled.

Ive uninstalled Facebook from my V60 Thinq 5G several times but it keeps reinstalling via the App Store "com.tmobile.pr.adapt" ... I disable Facebook app manager and installer but it still is reinstalling. I don't want it and want it off my phone permanently, and I want it done now...