Question

How to Transfer More Than One T-mobile eSIM to a Pixel 7?

• 28 October 2022
  • 5 replies

Badge +1

I have an s22 Ultra and a Pixel 7.

I have figured out how to get more than one T-mobile eSIM on the S22 - by using the “Transfer eSIM from another device” choice on the “Add eSIM” menu.  Using this method the system doesn’t care if you already have one or more a T-mobile eSIMs on the phone, it will transfer the eSIM.

However, the Pixel 7 has no such transfer menu, it just has the generic QR code method.  However, that method will not install a T-mobile eSIM on the phone, T-mobile blocks this transfer and you get an error.

Anyone out there able to install more than one T-mobile eSIM on a Pixel?  If so, how did you do it?

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

You can only have 2 Sims on a Pixel 6.

Badge +1

You are confusing the number of SIMs that can be active at one time with the number of eSIMs that can be installed on the phone. 

The Pixel 6 (as well as the Pixel 7 that was the subject of my question) are capable of having multiple eSIMs installed on the phone - but only one eSIM can be active at one time (along with one physical SIM.)

While the phone has the capability of having multiple eSIMs, as I explained in my question T-mobile is limiting the number of T-mobile eSIMs that can be installed on the phone.  I was asking if there was a way around this limitation as there is with the S22 series.  

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

You would probably find your answer quicker in the Google or XDA forums.

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

You are confusing the number of SIMs that can be active at one time with the number of eSIMs that can be installed on the phone. 

The Pixel 6 (as well as the Pixel 7 that was the subject of my question) are capable of having multiple eSIMs installed on the phone - but only one eSIM can be active at one time (along with one physical SIM.)

While the phone has the capability of having multiple eSIMs, as I explained in my question T-mobile is limiting the number of T-mobile eSIMs that can be installed on the phone.  I was asking if there was a way around this limitation as there is with the S22 series.  

No probably not.  S22 series is the newest code from Samsung. Here’s a little known think for people who have not worked on the other side.  ASL is the license for Android.  Google will literally steal code if they deem it good for Android after a certain time frame.  The limitation you are running into is Samsung's old code limitations.  I believe it hasn’t changed but Google will not take any code until 2 years.  If they want it sooner some deal is often brokered. This gives companies a chance to differentiate as well as make profit off their work.  You’d be surprised how much Google has taken from Samsung, Sony, LG, HTC, and Motorola.  If there is a work around you’d find it on XDA

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

You bring up a good point, @rinsf. The information I see also says that there can only be two active sims, but not a limit on the number of esim profiles you can have set up to switch through. I know that not all esim capable phones can have multiple esim profiles; active or not. I was able to find a page on Google’s support site that may help you, but it could just be a limitation of the device overall. https://support.google.com/pixelphone/answer/9449293?hl=en#zippy=%2Cadd-an-esim-as-a-second-sim

Hope this helps!