Is it possible to revert Android to the previous version? Android 12 is a disaster on the N200.

• 21 July 2022
  • 7 replies

Badge

Ever since my N200 was upgraded to Android 12 using the phone has been a horrible experience. Aside from having to provide approval to get almost every function to, well, function, some things are simply broken.

Example 1: Press the square button after swiping up and the ‘Close all’ button does nothing. If I have three apps open, they have to be individually swiped up to close them. One. At. A. Time. Android makes the right-most app full screen again and displays a meaningless message about my phone being “in optimal condition” if I touch the ‘Close all’ button.

Example 2: Responding to text messages is hit or miss. I often find that the keyboard will *never* appear so I’m unable to type a reply.

Example 3: Before the upgrade I was able to change the volume of a Bluetooth speaker using the controls on the speaker itself. Now I *must* change the volume using the phone.

How can I un-upgrade? T-Mobile’s version of Android 12 is not ready for release.

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

you can check with the manufacturer to see if they have a tool available to download on their site to help with this..

@syaoran  might have a bit more info on if this can happen and where to find said things to do it.

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

As much as people don’t like the idea of a factory reset.  That was recommended by OnePlus directly for anyone upgrading to Android 12.  It won’t solve all of your issues but for some, it solves enough to make it tolerable until Android 13 is released.  The other option is rolling back to Android 11 via the MSM Tool, which will also wipe your device.  

Badge

As much as people don’t like the idea of a factory reset.  That was recommended by OnePlus directly for anyone upgrading to Android 12.  It won’t solve all of your issues but for some, it solves enough to make it tolerable until Android 13 is released.  The other option is rolling back to Android 11 via the MSM Tool, which will also wipe your device.  

I would have liked a heads-up about the upgrade so I could have ensured that I had a backup of the phone and at least have the possibility of being able to do a bare-metal restore from a pre-upgrade backup. I’ll probably go the MSM Tool route. Since it seems that Android 12 has been trickling out to phone for better part of a year, waiting for 13 will be painful, especially if it turns out to be as buggy as 12.

Do you have a handy link to get more information on the MSM Tool and its use?

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Don't rely on Android 13. I was using the beta 13
on a Pixel 4XL and it was buggy. I rolled back to 12 but it took 2 tries to finally get it to take. Lost all my apps and settings .

I bought a Pixel 6 and decided to stay on 12 until a stable version of 13 came out.

I totally agree that 12 is trash on the n200... I believe that the security is not what they're claiming... I'm just hanging on for a few days til I upgrade to Samsung or something else.. 

Badge

Ever since my N200 was upgraded to Android 12 using the phone has been a horrible experience. Aside from having to provide approval to get almost every function to, well, function, some things are simply broken.

Example 1: Press the square button after swiping up and the ‘Close all’ button does nothing. If I have three apps open, they have to be individually swiped up to close them. One. At. A. Time. Android makes the right-most app full screen again and displays a meaningless message about my phone being “in optimal condition” if I touch the ‘Close all’ button.

Example 2: Responding to text messages is hit or miss. I often find that the keyboard will *never* appear so I’m unable to type a reply.

Example 3: Before the upgrade I was able to change the volume of a Bluetooth speaker using the controls on the speaker itself. Now I *must* change the volume using the phone.

How can I un-upgrade? T-Mobile’s version of Android 12 is not ready for release.

From Android 11 to 12 is One Piece Of S#!T.
Not sure exactly where their brains are but when conceiving this Android 12 they definitely couldn’t get enough oxygen through their sphincter.
Went from A-6 to A-10, eh, was OK tho a learning curve indeed. Then the A-11 was ever so slightly better. Took me the better part of 2 weeks to get the phone set where ‘I’ liked it. Then this OnePlus N200 A-12 updated itself overnight. I THOUGHT IT GOT HACKED it was so bad. Had to exchange the phone under warranty. YA, THAT BAD!
Here’s a kicker, I turned OFF the phones update yet it still went A-12 on it’s own!!!+!

I DEFINITELY want A-11 back.