Solved

Is there a way to turn off the "Calls will be made over Wi-Fi" alert?

• 31 July 2019
  • 8 replies

My phone (LG-V30) gives me way too many alerts telling me "Calls will be made over Wi-Fi". I seem to get this every time my phone connects to Wi-Fi, and sometimes multiple times when my phone should already be on Wi-Fi. Sometimes I get this alert every few minutes.  I get so many of these alerts I usually ignore alerts from my phone.  This alert is not useful information. The alert comes with a message "tap here to access preferences". If I tap this gives me an option to turn off Wi-Fi calling, but not to turn off the alert.  I've also looked through settings and found options to turn off alerts from apps. I turned off alerts from app "T-Mobile", but this doesn't affect this alert.  None of the other app options seem to apply to this. Is there some other setting to turn off this alert?

I know my phone can do WiFi calling, but can it do it silently, and not alert me multiple times a day it's able to do this?

icon

Best answer by newhere 31 July 2019, 21:06

View original

8 replies

Userlevel 5

LG does not permit turning off some system notifications such as the one you are experiencing. You could elect to use cellular as your preferred calling method with Wi-Fi as backup if you have no Network signal. Then you would only get alerts when you connect to Wi-Fi calling.

Thanks. I was hoping for a better answer, since this alert mars what's otherwise a nice phone (I get too many of these useless interruptions).  I'll try that, but I think I may still get lots of alerts if I set cellular as preferred. T-Mobile's signal doesn't penetrate the building where I work well, and I have to depend on Wi-Fi.  When I move near the windows of the building I get cellular service, but when I move to the center of the building I usually lose signal.  I expect I may get alerts whenever I move around in the building if I make cellular preferred.

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Have you tried having a look at your internet connection?  The inly reason that notification pops up is when it connects/reconnects.  If the device is constantly reconnecting, it might be because the WiFi is dropping or because it is going back and forth between cellular and WiFi so often.  If you are in a place where you know WiFi Calling is going to be the better iption for your device.  Perhaps put it in airplane mode and then connect to WiFi so it will remain on WiFi Calling, if setting the device to WiFi Calling Preferred doesn't solve it.

Userlevel 5

Speaking from experience any time you connect to Wi-Fi or cellular or lose a connection to either your phone is going to give you that notification. The only way to not get that notification is to be able to disable it. And unfortunately you're probably not going to be able to do that. My last two LG phones drove me crazy with the bouncing back and forth. It wasn't necessarily my signal that was the issue it was the fact that the phone's notification for that connection change made the noise.

To be fair my Moto X4 also would do the same thing. The only thing I could do was minimize the notification. all that really did was take up less space on the screen for notifications.  Conversely my OnePlus 6t does neither. It gives me a notification in the status bar but does not make a sound and does not give me a huge banner notification.

It was especially bad when I posted this question. My home internet connection seemed to be having problems. I was trying to stream video, and it kept freezing, and at the same time, my phone kept giving me these "Calls will be made over Wi-Fi" alerts, probably because the Wi-Fi connection was intermittent. I'm now trying defaulting calling to cellular, but I can't turn off Wi-Fi calling entirely, because I lose cellular signal indoors where I work.  I need both cellular and Wi-Fi calling because I don't always have cellular coverage, and can't always be on Wi-Fi.

I found an answer from another question thread.  This works on Android 8.0.0 Oreo on my V30, not sure about others:

Go to Settings, select General.

Select Apps and Notifications.

Select App Info.

In the 3-dots menu on the upper right, select Show system.

Scroll down, tap Wi-Fi Calling (this only appears if you first select show system apps).

Tap App Notifications

Under Categories, tap the 3 dots next to Calls will be made over Wi-Fi

Tap Importance

Change the selection to Low (No sound or visual interruption).

This doesn't turn off the notification entirely, but it does get rid of the noise or vibration. You'll still see the notification if you pull down the notification pane, but this gets rid of the noise or vibration, which was the most annoying part, since it kept prompting me to pick up my phone to check notifications, only to find this notification again.

My Note 9 is doing the exact same thing. It started about a day after the Sept. update. I work from home, and with a metal roof, I have to have wifi calling on or calls will not come through. I've already missed several important calls due to this. On top of missing the calls its takes a day or more for the voicemail to come through 😡 I've already messaged Tmobile about this and this is what they said. "Thanks, J******. I did check on the most recent update, but am not seeing any known issues with WiFi calling, so by all means, that should definitely still work. That is also still considered a high end device, so it definitely should be working properly. But not  to worry. In this case, all you'd need to do is speak with our tech experts, so they can take a few troubleshooting steps with you, in getting that WiFi calling working a little more normally." That's it. I'm paying $160 a month and I'm missing important calls and maybe even missing voicemails as well. This needs to be addressed. The notification just pops up at random times and wifi calling just won't do what it's supposed to do. It's NEVER done this before so obviously it's something to do with the latest Sept. update.

Dealing with this situation currently with my Samsung G20+  I have to use wifi calling at home because I get no cell service there.  When I called they tell me that they are working on towers in the area and that is what is causing the wifi notifications constantly popping up on my phone.  I’ve tried numerous attempts in turning off the notifications but the option is greyed out!  So my imperfect solution was to turn on the airplane mode and then turn wifi back on with wifi calling.  This got rid of the notifications and actually improved my connection to my home wifi because I believe that the phone does not attempt to connect to a nonexistent cell signal.