Question

Monthly credit for RCS issues

• 11 April 2024
  • 4 replies

Badge +1

My wife and I have carrier locked S23 phones. We, like thousands of people where Google Messages is using T-Mobile's RCS backend, continue to have issues sending and receiving RCS messages. They have to fix it regardless of the announcement back in September. They really didn't even layout if it makes those changes on current models over to Jibe or irs only future models. There is nothing to test. It already works for T-Mobile phones that already has Jibe set. Why I've been told they testing doesn't make sense. I pay for a service that doesn't work. I shouldn't have to turn off RCS or use a other messaging app if you offer it. Why can't any T-Mobile rep give any timeline, explanation, or anything? When. Sending messages, it literally sends double the data. One through T-Mobile servers and Jibe servers so it literally is already working that way. 

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

The text messaging you pay for with your service, is SMS/MMS, not RCS, which uses data.  As a T-Mobike s23 Ultra owner with the device in-hand 11 days before the official launch.  I haven't experienced these issues.  Yeah, Google is continuously messing with RCS as the beta versions of Google Messages literally change sometimes twice a day, but overall, no issues that don't literally get fixed within a couple of hours of a beta version causing issues after a new build is pushed.   

Badge +1

It's not the app. I can replicate it at anytime. It always sends to Jibe as a well as the T-Mobile RCS servers. Jibe uses a protocol that stays active. I'm not saying it's everyone but it's enough people I see have the issue. My wife and I both had S20 before, that operated on Jibe, and then we switch to S23 with T-Mobile and we started having issues. It's frustrating to be told to troubleshoot when there is others out there that have issues. Samsung Messages works fine. I can pin point specific cell towers I switch to and have to toggle airplane mode to start work. It says I'm connected the whole time. That's something I would like explanation on. This is an issue and there hasn't been any follow up since the announcement. There is a reason all carriers are switch back to Jibe. I've tried both official and beta builds for just over a year of having this phone. My wife again has the same phone. I can only say my experience is 100 percent consistent in my area with phone that operate on T-Mobile RCS servers in the Kansas City area. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

My girlfriend also has an s23 Ultra but hers is directly from Samsung.  She does not use the beta version of Google Messages but also doesn't have any issues.  If she had, I would have never heard the end of it until they were resolved.  

Did you use SmartSwitch when you went to the s23 Ultra?  We didn't, and I have seen complaints of issues specifically caused by doing that on the Samsung Members forum and XDA.  Of this was a T-Mobile issue.  One would think it would affect all of the s23 Ultra users on T-Mobile, but it doesn't.  Although I haven't been to Kansas, I do travel frequently up and down the east coast and into Canada with no issues.  

Badge +1

So what do you say to the users on this community forum who do realize the issue and spoke out? It is strange that they used Jibe as the RCS provider then became middle man for delivery and is now switching back. Didn't use Smart Switch. RCS was turned off on the old phones before activating the new ones. Both S23 phones purchased at the same time have the same issues and there are others I know who are in the same situation in my area. Majority of the time by toggling airplane mode to re-register my connection will start sending and receiving messages. I noticed with my phone is handed off to another tower it starts to happen. It will hang for 30 minutes if I let it. Doesn't matter if I have Carrier Service installed or not. Samsung messages only operates on T-Mobile towers. Google Messages is sending to both. It doesn't affect everyone and I can't say why because there are too many variables. I usually have this issue when I connect to specific towers and will only start working the 90 percent of the time it fails by toggling airplane mode or even killing the app and clearing the cache. It's consistently inconsistent and every bit of troubleshooting does not fix it.