Solved

No mobile network on Samsung Note 20 5G Ultra

• 30 August 2020
  • 12 replies

Badge

I’m not getting mobile network on a brand new Samsung Note 20 5G Ultra from T-mobile on 5G, 4G LTE, or 3G. I still am getting data on these bands but have zero network bars (greyed out with an X).

I only see mobile network bars on 2G (EDGE). I can only make a phone call from 2G.

Additionally, WIFI calling does not seem to be working even though it’s enabled on the device and my E911 location is set on tmobile.com.

Any ideas?

icon

Best answer by gramps28 31 August 2020, 03:34

View original

12 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Dumb question: What is the network preference set to?

Badge

Currently I have it set at 5G/LTE/3G/2G (auto connect)

But I have also tried the following:

• LTE/3G/2G (auto connect)
  • LTE/3G (auto connect)
  • 2G only

The only one I get network bars under is 2G only. I still have data on the other modes (even with the X’d out bars) but can’t make calls.

With Wifi Calling enabled (and connected to Wifi), I also get Mobile network not available when I try to make calls.

Badge
4G LTE no bars (but have data) can‘t make calls
5G no bars (but have data)  can‘t make calls
Edge (Bars + Data + can make calls)

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Are you using the sim card you got with your new phone or the one from your old phone?

Badge

I did not receive a new sim with the device.  I'm using the sim from my pixel 3a.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Have you checked the APN settings?

Badge

Yes, I’ve used the default: "fast.t-mobile.com” and an alternate: “epic.t-mobile.com”

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Have you tried cleaning the gold connectors of the sim card or do you have access to another active sim you can test?

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

If they didn’t get a new SIM card with the device.  Where did they purchase the device?  Is it a U or U1 model or is it one of those from overseas or from South America?  

Badge

Tried with my wife’s sim card and it works just fine. Guess I’ll head back to the TMO store and get a new sim card.

Badge

If they didn’t get a new SIM card with the device.  Where did they purchase the device?  Is it a U or U1 model or is it one of those from overseas or from South America?  

It’s a TMO USA device from a TMO store. Sales agent didn’t have a clue what he was doing and even added services like insurance to our accounts without authorization. Don’t shop in TMO stores… online is a much safer option.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

All phones sold by tmobile should have a sim card in them so make sure they give you one for free.