Question

OnePlus 10 pro 5g getting HOT

• 16 November 2022
  • 7 replies

Badge

In the past few days, my one plus 10 pro is getting hot during use, and the battery life has absolutely tanked(less than four hours on a full charge to 20%) I've had this phone for several months but not over Six months I don't THINK. I'm really hard on batteries because I use my phone for literally everything, including playing audio all night. Should I just use the insurance to get a new one? 

In the past getting and changing removable batteries was the only way I could get a phone to last over a year. But that's no longer an option. 

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

pull your battery settings up and see what all is eating up the most battery. could be a rogue app or something bungled up causing it. if nothing looks to far out of wack battery consumption wise when it comes to apps you might google how to boot into safe mode..once you do that everything that was not on the phone from factory will be shut off..test and see how it performs..if it gets better battery life then one of the things you have downloaded is acting up and killing your battery..worst case you might try performing a factory reset to see if it resolves the issue or not..if not then possibly the insurance route..

Badge

I got through to support and I'm just going to have a warranty exchange. I will try the safe mode though. I have a feeling it's because I just use my phone so much. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

its possible. what percentages did it show for things using up battery? it’ll show highest to lowest..

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Warranty or insurance replacements are almost always refurbished devices.  

Heavy use should not make the device feel hot.  Do you have the device encased in some of those super thick cases that might be trapping the heat around the device?  There have been some reported heat and battery life issues reported with the last update on the OnePlus Community.  It makes me wonder if you just happen to be one of the unlock ones to also be experiencing that issue.  

OnePlus devices do have a Battery Optimization setting that can help extend the life of your device's battery.  You might want to check and see if this setting is enabled.  

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

forgot to ask..is this mainly happening while you are using it heavily AND its plugged in charging? those two combined up will heat up your phone..ditto if it has a cover on it as well.

Badge

The fully charged battery life shows as 5 hours.

The RCS takes most of the battery power with other apps running at 10% or less. 

And no, it was happening both on and off the charger (I use the c charger it came with. With a c to c fast charge cable)

The only battery optimization suggestions on the phone I haven't used are turn off Bluetooth, turn off WiFi, and turn off GPS. Which are all not going to be a thing I turn off.

I have only the regular OnePlus case on it because I tried a different case and I cracked the screen of my first device of this model. The OnePlus cases weren't available yet when I ordered and received the phone. 

I use my phone 24/7. I'm not even exaggerating. I regularly go through the open apps and close things. And I restart my device at least once a week. 

The only reason I posted here was because I kept getting "bad link" trying to click through to support. Up until my last two phones, I have gotten phones with removable batteries because I kill batteries. The last phone I had, that had a removable battery, I went through the original battery, and two double life gorilla batteries in 2 years. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

my phone is running something all day long monday through friday. at work its spotify for my work period with netflix and a bit of FB here and there. i can make the whole day with one battery charge. built in battery. if you havent already you might just pull the trigger and back everything up and factory reset it. at this point it cant exactly make the battery draining worse lol.