Solved

Pixel 7 Security Update

Userlevel 2
Badge

My Pixel 7 will not receive  the January 2023 security update . Tried doing it manually and no luck, have heard it’s a T-Mobile issue but that's just hearsay. Heard you can just pull your sim out and put another one in and it will update haven’t tried that one yet.

icon

Best answer by JNavas 20 January 2023, 03:09

View original

102 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

The updates come directly from Google.  If you put another carrier SIM in your device, it will update the firmware and carrier aggregation to that carrier until you return to the T-Mobile update path, which might make a coue.of updates if the version numbers are dated the same.

Userlevel 2
Badge

The update has been released by Google for the pixel lineup.

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

The update has been released by Google for the pixel lineup.

Most updates are a staggered release, meaning not everyone will get it at the same time.  Google might have released the update but that doesn't mean it has been released to everyone.

Userlevel 2
Badge

That’s true but I have heard that its a carrier issue as I am new to T-Mobile.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

My 6 hasn't received it either but it seems like every once in a while it's a week late.

Userlevel 2
Badge

That's good to know as i have had a few Pixels but they were unlocked which mightdifference be the difference.

It seems to be isolated to t mobile. If you check Reddit no t mobile or it's smaller carrier phones have gotten the update. In my home I have a 7 pro, 7 and 6 pro all t mobile. No sign of the January update, meanwhile on every other device it's been out over a week. 

Userlevel 2
Badge

That's what I suspected , would have thought Verizon would have been the culprits as they are always slow to the game. Thanks for the info!

No problem. I've been following closely eagerly awaiting, supposedly the fingerprint sensor fixes are actually working pretty well and boy I could use that lol. 

Was actually just getting ready to make my own t mobile forum post when I came across yours. Hopefully a t mobile rep responds, a little info on why we're so late to the party with a security update would be nice. 

Userlevel 2
Badge

Just got off a chat with the rep around an hour ago and he said to wait until the 15 and if i didn’t get it by then let them know.

Userlevel 1
Badge

I’m dubious about the 15th.  Many have not even got the Dec 22 update yet.  See

Userlevel 2
Badge

My Pixel 7 has got the December update and that was the latest update,  its also funny that is when i purchased my phone from T-Mobile. Seems that T-Mobile is slow to the punch. I will keep things updated come the 15th as i am a little skeptical also!

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

It looks like it's been pulled.

https://www.droid-life.com/2023/01/11/pixel-6-pixel-7-january-update-on-t-mobile-said-to-be-delayed-because-of-issue/

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

It’s a staggered release for ALL devices. Doesn’t matter the carrier involved when it boils down to the Pixel devices. It’s not like the Nexus 6 and older devices. 

initially there will be a fork specific to a carrier for bug fixes which may affect other devices but it’ll eventually come down to 1 source code when they find a better fix or see the fix won’t break other devices. If you look at the factory images for an example. 

I have a 7 from Google and I don’t hVe the January update and I am not bothered by it as I understand it’s a staggered release. If I really wanted to I can install the OTA by side loading. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

It’s a staggered release for ALL devices. Doesn’t matter the carrier involved when it boils down to the Pixel devices. It’s not like the Nexus 6 and older devices. 

initially there will be a fork specific to a carrier for bug fixes which may affect other devices but it’ll eventually come down to 1 source code when they find a better fix or see the fix won’t break other devices. If you look at the factory images for an example. 

I have a 7 from Google and I don’t hVe the January update and I am not bothered by it as I understand it’s a staggered release. If I really wanted to I can install the OTA by side loading. 

My last phone before I switched to a Pixel was a LG V30 that rarely updated their phones so if the Pixel update is late I know I'll still get it sometime unlike the LG.

I have a pixel 6a unlocked stuck on November 5 2022 update and a pixel 6 Pro unlocked stuck on December 5 2022.

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

My last phone before I switched to a Pixel was a LG V30 that rarely updated their phones so if the Pixel update is late I know I'll still get it sometime unlike the LG.

i was a bit surprised they kicked out 12 to the V60 before they fully pulled the plug..not only did they kick out 12 but it was actually stable lol.

Userlevel 1

Not true. Pixels can get the update OTA on demand as soon as it's released by Google as long as it's not being blocked by the carrier. I've had Pixels for years and this has always been the case. It's pretty clear from the discussions going on elsewhere that tmo has a problem with this build and is blocking the update. That being said, my P7 is on the December update and I'm fine with it staying that way until they work out whatever's wrong. If you're not, you can sideload the OTA from Google's site at your own risk. I'd rather not because I kinda need my phone to not be borked right now. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

I have had every Nexus and Pixel. It has ALWAYS been a staggered release. Even Google has stated from time to time. If you don't want to wait they even suggest side loading it and reason why they give the OTA file you can download. 

If what you saying is true then if it's unlocked just take the sim out and it should hit your device on wifi. 

Not true. Pixels can get the update OTA on demand as soon as it's released by Google as long as it's not being blocked by the carrier. I've had Pixels for years and this has always been the case. It's pretty clear from the discussions going on elsewhere that tmo has a problem with this build and is blocking the update. That being said, my P7 is on the December update and I'm fine with it staying that way until they work out whatever's wrong. If you're not, you can sideload the OTA from Google's site at your own risk. I'd rather not because I kinda need my phone to not be borked right now. 

Userlevel 1

I have had every Nexus and Pixel. It has ALWAYS been a staggered release. Even Google has stated from time to time. If you don't want to wait they even suggest side loading it and reason why they give the OTA file you can download. 

If what you saying is true then if it's unlocked just take the sim out and it should hit your device on wifi. 

As have I. Apparently you don't recall the last update that Google pulled last year. Apparently you don't recall that the "check for updates" button was broken for a number of Android releases and when they finally fixed it we could trigger an OTA download on demand instead of waiting for the "staged rollout" to notify us, the way it was designed to work. Being able to get the OTA on the day of release has always been a feature of Pixels. And I can't remove the SIM because it's an eSim. But like I said, I can wait until whatever is holding it up is no longer holding it up. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

As have I. Apparently you don't recall the last update that Google pulled last year. Apparently you don't recall that the "check for updates" button was broken for a number of Android releases and when they finally fixed it we could trigger an OTA download on demand instead of waiting for the "staged rollout" to notify us, the way it was designed to work. Being able to get the OTA on the day of release has always been a feature of Pixels. And I can't remove the SIM because it's an eSim. But like I said, I can wait until whatever is holding it up is no longer holding it up. 

Have you tried disabling the eSIM temporarily to see if that can get the update to trigger over WiFi?

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

Turn it off. It's the same as taking the sim out. That's why they gave the OTA file as a feature to get it day one not that all devices will get it day one over the air.

If you really want to be 100% factory reset your device and the update should happen as soon you connect to WiFi.  

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

Oh and check for update has been fixed for a while now. 

There is most definitely an issue with T-Mobile. My old pixel 5 was stuck on the Nov update. I just updated to the pixel 7 (bought from Google) and the out of the box updating stopped with the November update.

Have you tried disabling the eSIM temporarily to see if that can get the update to trigger over WiFi?

This did not fix the issue