Solved

Pixel 7 Security Update

Show first post

102 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

if the issue is causing network issues with the TMO variants of this device AND the Google Fi devices then its safe to say whom must be the one to fix it..which isnt TMO..they dont create the patches nor do they fix them..those come directly from Google..

those same security patches get passed from Google to the OEMs so they can adjust them to their devices and then kick them out..no carrier makes those adjustments..

if the issue is causing network issues with the TMO variants of this device AND the Google Fi devices then its safe to say whom must be the one to fix it..which isnt TMO..they dont create the patches nor do they fix them..those come directly from Google..

those same security patches get passed from Google to the OEMs so they can adjust them to their devices and then kick them out..no carrier makes those adjustments..

Again if this were the case they would have pulled the ota image so people couldn't side load. Also if that were the case there would be issues with the beta on t mobile. 

Google is also much more transparent about this stuff. They wouldn't just no comment like this. Lol. 

It's a t mobile issue, you don't know more then Android police, phone arena, XDA, Droid life etc etc. 

Userlevel 1

I recently switched from Verizon to T-Mobile.   My experience with T-Mobile has been positive until now.

I purchased an Unlocked Pixel 7 Pro and have been waiting for the January Google Security Update.  As of 10 minutes ago, Jan 15 at 12:06 PM no January update is available.

I contacted T-Mobile support regarding this issue and they had no answer.  One T-Mobile representative stated the issue rests solely with Google and that I should contact them.

I filed two (2) formal written complaints with T-moble management regarding this issue, though I doubt it will make a difference.

If T-Mobile has indeed delayed the January 2023 Google Security Update, then T-Mobile should let their customers know and why the January Update is delayed.  Also, they should let customers know when to expect the update to roll-out.

IMHO this is just terrible and crappy customer service by T-Mobile.   Now I’m a disappointed customer. 

I recently switched from Verizon to T-Mobile.   My experience with T-Mobile has been positive until now.

I purchased an Unlocked Pixel 7 Pro and have been waiting for the January Google Security Update.  As of 10 minutes ago, Jan 15 at 12:06 PM no January update is available.

I contacted T-Mobile support regarding this issue and they had no answer.  One T-Mobile representative stated the issue rests solely with Google and that I should contact them.

I filed two (2) formal written complaints with T-moble management regarding this issue, though I doubt it will make a difference.

If T-Mobile has indeed delayed the January 2023 Google Security Update, then T-Mobile should let their customers know and why the January Update is delayed.  Also, they should let customers know when to expect the update to roll-out.

IMHO this is just terrible and crappy customer service by T-Mobile.   Now I’m a disappointed customer. 

Get used to it. T mobile hasn't been the same since legere left as CEO. They'll make stuff up, give you a different answer every time you call and just pass the blame.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Spoke with a technical rep from T-Mobile and was told they do not block updates and that December is the latest update that they have. So my guess now is that it’s a Google issue as they tried to connect me to Google and they were closed. Must have MLK day off so really nothing more to add to the story!

The updates come from Google. So tmobile doesn't need it. From what I have read. Google doesn't waite for approval each month. But they do allow carriers to request to block the update. Google won't send it to phones on that network. But I'm pretty sure Google wants a good reason. Like it causes issues with e911. Or some other network interference issue. 

But you can see that the update was blocked right after the December update. That's why some people on TMobile are still on the November update.

Also the update button was never really broken. It would still check for updates. But would only see the update. If your device was eligible. Google always released the update over a few weeks in batches. So if your device wasn't in the batch for the day. Your check now button wouldn't see it.

And until either Google or tmobile makes a statement. We won't know anything. 

Spoke with a technical rep from T-Mobile and was told they do not block updates and that December is the latest update that they have. So my guess now is that it’s a Google issue as they tried to connect me to Google and they were closed. Must have MLK day off so really nothing more to add to the story!

The updates come from Google. So tmobile doesn't need it. From what I have read. Google doesn't waite for approval each month. But they do allow carriers to request to block the update. Google won't send it to phones on that network. But I'm pretty sure Google wants a good reason. Like it causes issues with e911. Or some other network interference issue. 

But you can see that the update was blocked right after the December update. That's why some people on TMobile are still on the November update.

Also the update button was never really broken. It would still check for updates. But would only see the update. If your device was eligible. Google always released the update over a few weeks in batches. So if your device wasn't in the batch for the day. Your check now button wouldn't see it.

And until either Google or tmobile makes a statement. We won't know anything. 

This is pretty much my understanding as well, however if t mobile is requesting the block I feel like they could issue a statement to their customers before it's a huge issue every one is reporting on and such. I don't think Google is gonna have much to say, there's the known Bluetooth issues but that's being addressed and has definitely been publicly addressed, but it doesn't seem like whatever is holding this up is on their end given there was never a pull of the actual downloadable file, the beta is fine and it's only one carrier. 

It's their CS playing hot potato with the blame and us being left in the dark that's so bothersome. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

so why not test this out yourself? go toss in another carriers sim card..do your download..then test away..if its issue free then its TMO holding things up..if it downloads and when you switch back to your TMO sim and you start running into network issues..well..you were told this was happening and cant exactly blame TMO

so why not test this out yourself? go toss in another carriers sim card..do your download..then test away..if its issue free then its TMO holding things up..if it downloads and when you switch back to your TMO sim and you start running into network issues..well..you were told this was happening and cant exactly blame TMO

Esim

No network issues reported in any of the Google forums, and no issues with the beta that has the January 5th update. 

Seriously bruh is t mobile paying you? This is sad lol. 

Also given t mobile hasn't said anything for weeks I could definitely blame them lol. 

Seriously, defending a mega corp for no reason is peak cringe dude

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Personally if I wanted the update I'd download the beta version that out now. After having LG’s where you were lucky to get security patches every 2-3 months I can wait.

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

Also given t mobile hasn't said anything for weeks I could definitely blame them lol. 

where exactly are you expecting them to say anything?

where exactly are you expecting them to say anything?

Usually if there's something worth blocking an update for there's a known issue, usually if there's a known issue a carrier could tell you. 

I mean it's not like tech reporters are literally reaching out for comment from t mobile and getting silence or anything? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

peer to peer site..you wont see any posts from any TMO peeps. only mods and admins to keep the site in order only..

peer to peer site..you wont see any posts from any TMO peeps. only mods and admins to keep the site in order only..

Pretty hard to believe a bunch of people are taking time out of their days to defend a company and disrupt legitimate discussion of an issue for free. 

If you guys don't have anything to say about the actual problem, or anything actually contributory to the topic maybe put down the keyboard? 

Just saying it isn't a t mobile issue when it's only happening to t mobile users, across multiple pixel gens and even some still being stuck on the November update isn't contributing anything. It just seems like weird defense of t mobile. As another user pointed out, for all intents and purposes it seems as if T mobile for some reason began blocking updates sometime even before the January update given there's still some users who right now can't pull the December feature update even and it's finally being pointed out and discussed everywhere, but only on a t mobile owned forum are there a bunch of random white knights totally blocking discussion and just insisting it isn't T mobile. 

Little weird, seems like PR damage control at this point, especially given all the defensiveness appeared after literal news articles about the issue. This has shady T mobile shenanigans written all over it. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

That's a flat lie from them. 

Literally only one carrier and it's connected carriers are having this issue. I can't find one singular t mobile phone that has updated to the January update without outside assistance across here, Reddit and xda. Literally every other carrier anyone who goes to check it's there. 

it was also literally mentioned above that it was reported that Google Fi devices were having issues after the update and they run on TMOs network. gonna go out on a limb and say if the Google Fi devices are having issues then so is whatever update variant they have for TMO devices..if this is the case then theres your delay.

If it was the image from Google having issues they'd pull it and we couldn't side load. 

Why are you all so desperate to take the blame off t mobile? 

Google it. Every Android focused news sources has been reporting it as a t mobile issue for days. Some t mobile phones aren't even updating past November. Stop trying to protect t mobile and hold them accountable

I don't see any proof offered.that clearly shows that T-Mobile is to blame.  Why are you so insistent on blaming T-Mobile when others have pointed out that it also affects Google Fi?

Google Fi is t mobile LMAO

And I'm just being factual. If the issue is isolated to t moving devices, yes it's a t mobile issue. 

As I've said, there's a reason every single Android media source is reporting it as such. You can track every platform and at this point nearly all other devices have auto updated, and t mobile (and it's smaller carriers) users still have nothing. 

Google Fi uses multiple carriers.  T-Mobile is just one of their service partners.  

That's a flat lie from them. 

Literally only one carrier and it's connected carriers are having this issue. I can't find one singular t mobile phone that has updated to the January update without outside assistance across here, Reddit and xda. Literally every other carrier anyone who goes to check it's there. 

it was also literally mentioned above that it was reported that Google Fi devices were having issues after the update and they run on TMOs network. gonna go out on a limb and say if the Google Fi devices are having issues then so is whatever update variant they have for TMO devices..if this is the case then theres your delay.

If it was the image from Google having issues they'd pull it and we couldn't side load. 

Why are you all so desperate to take the blame off t mobile? 

Google it. Every Android focused news sources has been reporting it as a t mobile issue for days. Some t mobile phones aren't even updating past November. Stop trying to protect t mobile and hold them accountable

I don't see any proof offered.that clearly shows that T-Mobile is to blame.  Why are you so insistent on blaming T-Mobile when others have pointed out that it also affects Google Fi?

Google Fi is t mobile LMAO

And I'm just being factual. If the issue is isolated to t moving devices, yes it's a t mobile issue. 

As I've said, there's a reason every single Android media source is reporting it as such. You can track every platform and at this point nearly all other devices have auto updated, and t mobile (and it's smaller carriers) users still have nothing. 

Google Fi uses multiple carriers.  T-Mobile is just one of their service partners.  

1 of 2 "not t mobile employee" 

They're also the primary one with US Cellular only being used in a few Midwest areas. 

Userlevel 1
Badge

I sure hope tmobile isn't doing it for greedy purposes. Like they don't like visual voicemail built in. Or hold for me or clear calling.

I'm %100 sure when we do get a update. It's going to be a specific build for tmobile, fi, mint. 

If you go and look at the Android release list for Nexus and pixel phones. You'll see the first build is usually for all providers. Then at the end of the version. You'll see it branched out at some point. With carrier specific builds.

But I never seen it do this. Usually they release all the builds at the same time.

The updates come directly from Google.  If you put another carrier SIM in your device, it will update the firmware and carrier aggregation to that carrier until you return to the T-Mobile update path, which might make a coue.of updates if the version numbers are dated the same.

Not true T-Mobile can delay the update. It's listed on the Google community. It's all over YouTube and Reddit. They have no right holding back on updates. Which Google approved and the phones used are unlock phones. Purchase from Google. 

I purchased an unlocked Google Pixel 7 Pro directly from Google. I was surprised that T-Mobile could block an update, but if there is an issue, I probably don't want it. 

I have a Pixel 7 bought directly from the Google Store (unlocked).  I am using it on the T-Mobile network with an eSIM.  Like many others on T-Mobile, I had not yet received the January 2023 update (tried to force the OTA update again this morning using the ‘Check for update’ button) and was stuck on the December 5 2022 update.  I also have a physical SIM in my phone from a provider in Europe, which I use when traveling.  Most of the time this physical SIM is deactivated.

I did the following:

• Activated the European SIM and waited until it established a roaming connection to a local US mobile network (I think it even connected to the T-Mobile network)
  •     Deactivated the T-Mobile eSIM and waited a couple of minutes to ensure the deactivation was complete (I did NOT erase the eSIM)
  •     Went to System Update in settings and used the ‘Check for update’ button to see if the update would load
  •     Immediately the January security update started downloading and installing.  It automatically paused (since I was using the phone) and I hit the 'Resume' button to continue the update.
  •     After about 2 hours the installation process finished (I have a lot of installed apps, about 250, so the optimization takes forever)
  •     Rebooted the phone and confirmed that under System Update the Android security update was showing as January 5 2023
  •     Under SIMs I reactivated the T-Mobile eSIM and deactivated the physical SIM, T-Mobile connection appears to work fine, I am connected to 5G and I am receiving text messages

My conclusion is that there is a relationship between being connected to T-Mobile and not getting the January 5 2023 update. I cannot say if this is caused by T-Mobile or Google.

Userlevel 1

I was contacted by a T-Mobile customer support manager today regarding a complaint I had filed related to this issue.

He confirmed that T-Mobile has indeed delayed the roll-out of the January Andriod Security-Feature update due to a “bluetooth” issue. 

He anticipates a fix may be available in the February Android Security-Feature Update.   So there probably won’t be a January Update for Pixel owners.

I suggested he post an annoucement or note on T-Mobile’s website announcing the roll-out delay and reason why so Pixel customers will stop guessing and becomng upset.   He agreed…. but I’m not holding my breath if we’ll ever see anything posted.

I was contacted by a T-Mobile customer support manager today regarding a complaint I had filed related to this issue.

He confirmed that T-Mobile has indeed delayed the roll-out of the January Andriod Security-Feature update due to a “bluetooth” issue. 

He anticipates a fix may be available in the February Android Security-Feature Update.   So there probably won’t be a January Update for Pixel owners.

I suggested he post an annoucement or note on T-Mobile’s website announcing the roll-out delay and reason why so Pixel customers will stop guessing and becomng upset.   He agreed…. but I’m not holding my breath if we’ll ever see anything posted.

Yup. I'm actually currently in the process of installing the QPR2 beta and this is why. 

A tiny number of people using Android auto are having music issues so I'm months behind on the security updates that protect my banking info. Not a great priority set and I don't want T mobile controlling my updates. Half the reason to own a pixel

Userlevel 1
Badge

Both my wife and I are on the January update.after forcing it. Pixel 6a and 7. No issues with Bluetooth. Android auto is fine Ford pickup and Honda. And Anker headphones and Anker sound bar.

Tmobile blocked the updates while the December update was going out that's why some are stuck on November. The Bluetooth issue if there is one. Didn't pop up until the January update .

This has something either to do with network interference, E911 problems or tmobile wants something taken out? 

I have a feeling it has to do with visual voicemail. I had lots of issues with this. It always worked fine going all the way back to my Nexus 6. It only stopped  when upgrading to the pixel 7. I had to call in many times. To get it to work they finally had to provision my account to a older plan??

But one thing I remember in all my calls and chats up the support ladder. Was

1. Please use are visual voicemail app.

2. We don't support the built in Visual voicemail. Even on the phones they sell in-store.

3 top tech support told me that it was a huge issue and a head ache for them. Trying to figure out why it worked for some but not others?

So maybe tmo is asking for it to be removed?

Carriers do have power. Forcing the January update on my phone with a att sim. I noticed that the option to force the phone to stay on 4g was missing under network options. I googled it. And apparently this is something that att was able to force Google to follow. 

Also att blocked visual voicemail for years on Nexus and pixel phones. It wasn't until I believe the 6 that they finally allowed it to work officially. Also RCS texting Att was one of the last two allow it. 

​​​​​​So carriers do have more control then we think. 

​​​​​​

Userlevel 2
Badge

I love that answer because a service tech told me that T-Mobile doesn’t block any updates, another fricking lie she must be to far down the food chain to be told about the hold.

Both my wife and I are on the January update.after forcing it. Pixel 6a and 7. No issues with Bluetooth. Android auto is fine Ford pickup and Honda. And Anker headphones and Anker sound bar.

I have a feeling it has to do with visual voicemail. I had lots of issues with this. It always worked fine going all the way back to my Nexus 6. It only stopped  when upgrading to the pixel 7. I had to call in many times. To get it to work they finally had to provision my account to a older plan??

​​​​​​

I forced the January update to my Pixel 7 as well yesterday (see above).  Experience thus far:

• No issues with Bluetooth (Volvo, Mazda, Android Auto, office access, smart watch, ear buds, etc.)
  • Visual Voicemail (T-Mobile app) has stopped syncing after the update.  Last sync is from Monday January 16 before I forced the update.  I uninstalled the app and will try to use the Google visual voicemail service.  Not that important for me (I get very few voicemails).
Userlevel 1
Badge

I love that answer because a service tech told me that T-Mobile doesn’t block any updates, another fricking lie she must be to far down the food chain to be told about the hold.

Well technically they don't block it. They send a request to Google. To stop the update to phones on the network.