Solved

Pixel 7 Security Update

Userlevel 2
Badge

My Pixel 7 will not receive  the January 2023 security update . Tried doing it manually and no luck, have heard it’s a T-Mobile issue but that's just hearsay. Heard you can just pull your sim out and put another one in and it will update haven’t tried that one yet.

icon

Best answer by JNavas 20 January 2023, 03:09

View original

102 replies

One consistent theme is, no one has definitive, accurate knowledge. There is a lot of speculation and opinions, and of course, I have my own. I do not think T-Mobile and Google would inhibit an update simply for giggles and grins. What would be the benefit? Yes, you can get around it, and a beta build seems to work, but why would you? Could it be a security issue, a problem with T-Mobile's new 1900 MHz rollout; again no one knows. People seem to be so demanding. Of course, I myself like updates, but I actually appreciate an update held if there is a issue with it. My Pixel 7 Pro is operating just fine. If I would fault Google or T-Mobile, I think a generic statement should have been released. But I am not going to lose sleep over it. It will be known in good time. There is no reason not to be kind to everyone. As I mentioned in the beginning, it is all speculation. Relax and have a great day! 

Userlevel 1
Badge

Plus the silence speaks volumes. If Tmobile was protecting us or its network. You would think there would be a official response.”Hey our Tmo engineers found a issue with E911. Expect a slight delay while we work with google” Or “We noticed that your not getting your updates. Were working with google to get to the bottom of this” Something, anything its just silence.

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

Update notifications are staggered but you can pull manually with the check for updates button. "I've had every pixel" cute, I've been developing aosp roms and kernels since the HTC G1. 

Yes carriers can block updates, have some control etc but they are typically available simultaneously across Google devices. 

Oh ya I also have 3 in the house right now. Been around this block a time or two. Also, if you look through every forum, Reddit post and even articles all saying reports are only from T mobile users it's probably a carrier side thing. This is basics. 

Now that that's out of the way, the 15th has come and go. I definitely plan to contact t mobile tomorrow and ask why my phone is months behind on security updates. I do banking and other things on my phone which I'd like regular security updates for. Part of why I bought a pixel. 

As I said before there’s a reason why you have the OTA file.  That’s is what Google meant by day one if you don’t want to wait you can install the OTA on your own.  There’s no different whether if you get it from “T-Mobile”, Google, or Jesus himself it’s all the same file.  If you actually do rom development I don’t see someone waiting for an update they deemed important.   

I can tell you it’s Google’s own code that is causing problem if you looked at it.  IF you actually notices since 4.0 Google head office AND lead developers have never blamed carriers for delays.  You only here it from people AND Google customer service reps who have no workings in other departments.  Of course you don’t have to believe me.  It’s how Google doesn’t want all the traffic on their servers vs Apple willing to take all traffic regardless of bricked devices that can and do happen.

Userlevel 1
Badge

I sure hope tmobile isn't doing it for greedy purposes. Like they don't like visual voicemail built in. Or hold for me or clear calling.

I'm %100 sure when we do get a update. It's going to be a specific build for tmobile, fi, mint. 

If you go and look at the Android release list for Nexus and pixel phones. You'll see the first build is usually for all providers. Then at the end of the version. You'll see it branched out at some point. With carrier specific builds.

But I never seen it do this. Usually they release all the builds at the same time.

I have a Pixel 7 bought directly from the Google Store (unlocked).  I am using it on the T-Mobile network with an eSIM.  Like many others on T-Mobile, I had not yet received the January 2023 update (tried to force the OTA update again this morning using the ‘Check for update’ button) and was stuck on the December 5 2022 update.  I also have a physical SIM in my phone from a provider in Europe, which I use when traveling.  Most of the time this physical SIM is deactivated.

I did the following:

• Activated the European SIM and waited until it established a roaming connection to a local US mobile network (I think it even connected to the T-Mobile network)
  •     Deactivated the T-Mobile eSIM and waited a couple of minutes to ensure the deactivation was complete (I did NOT erase the eSIM)
  •     Went to System Update in settings and used the ‘Check for update’ button to see if the update would load
  •     Immediately the January security update started downloading and installing.  It automatically paused (since I was using the phone) and I hit the 'Resume' button to continue the update.
  •     After about 2 hours the installation process finished (I have a lot of installed apps, about 250, so the optimization takes forever)
  •     Rebooted the phone and confirmed that under System Update the Android security update was showing as January 5 2023
  •     Under SIMs I reactivated the T-Mobile eSIM and deactivated the physical SIM, T-Mobile connection appears to work fine, I am connected to 5G and I am receiving text messages

My conclusion is that there is a relationship between being connected to T-Mobile and not getting the January 5 2023 update. I cannot say if this is caused by T-Mobile or Google.

Userlevel 1

I was contacted by a T-Mobile customer support manager today regarding a complaint I had filed related to this issue.

He confirmed that T-Mobile has indeed delayed the roll-out of the January Andriod Security-Feature update due to a “bluetooth” issue. 

He anticipates a fix may be available in the February Android Security-Feature Update.   So there probably won’t be a January Update for Pixel owners.

I suggested he post an annoucement or note on T-Mobile’s website announcing the roll-out delay and reason why so Pixel customers will stop guessing and becomng upset.   He agreed…. but I’m not holding my breath if we’ll ever see anything posted.

Checked for updates on 7 February for unlocked Pixel 7 T Mobile and downloaded and installed February 5 update successfully - no swapped SIM or sideload, just standard update.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Could be a security issue. There was a major T Mobile data breach around 25 November 2022 (https://www.theverge.com/2023/1/20/23563825/tmobile-data-breach-api-customer-accounts-hacker-security). It probably took them a while to discover the breach, thus accounting for pulling the December update midstream.

They could be busy fixing the security infrastructure on their hardware and/or making sure the phone security updates don’t propagate/expose the flaw. 

No wonder they’re so close-mouthed...

It has nothing to do with the security breach but more to due to Bluetooth connectivity. It's also occurring on the Google Fi network.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

It looks like it's been pulled.

https://www.droid-life.com/2023/01/11/pixel-6-pixel-7-january-update-on-t-mobile-said-to-be-delayed-because-of-issue/

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

It’s a staggered release for ALL devices. Doesn’t matter the carrier involved when it boils down to the Pixel devices. It’s not like the Nexus 6 and older devices. 

initially there will be a fork specific to a carrier for bug fixes which may affect other devices but it’ll eventually come down to 1 source code when they find a better fix or see the fix won’t break other devices. If you look at the factory images for an example. 

I have a 7 from Google and I don’t hVe the January update and I am not bothered by it as I understand it’s a staggered release. If I really wanted to I can install the OTA by side loading. 

Update notifications are staggered but you can pull manually with the check for updates button. "I've had every pixel" cute, I've been developing aosp roms and kernels since the HTC G1. 

Yes carriers can block updates, have some control etc but they are typically available simultaneously across Google devices. 

Oh ya I also have 3 in the house right now. Been around this block a time or two. Also, if you look through every forum, Reddit post and even articles all saying reports are only from T mobile users it's probably a carrier side thing. This is basics. 

Now that that's out of the way, the 15th has come and go. I definitely plan to contact t mobile tomorrow and ask why my phone is months behind on security updates. I do banking and other things on my phone which I'd like regular security updates for. Part of why I bought a pixel. 

Userlevel 1
Badge

No, without the SIM, T-Mobile is not in the update path. The connection is directly to Google over Wi-Fi and the Internet without T-Mobile. It’s Google that’s not providing the update. That might be due to a T-Mobile request, but it’s still Google doing the updates.

"The updates might be held at t mobile request but it's title that does the updates" 

So if t mobile makes Google block it, we still call it a Google issue? 

Nah seriously all you guys defending this sound paid. Just making up weird reasons to take the blame off t mobile when nobody is asking for that. Nobody in this thread who's actually trying to get to a fix for their problem cares to sit here listening to randoms defend t mobile and not contribute. 

So again, please, to everyone, if you are just here to try to get people not to blame t mobile for what they're doing just save it. We don't care. Nobody cares. Y'all are just disrupting this forum coming in to defend a giant corporation for no reason when nobody asked. It's weird and annoying. 

I agree but this is a tmo forum. So we should only expect some defending of tmo. I have been with tmo since 2003. Back when bring your own phone was something you had to ask about in the store. Just to get special pricing. Tmo is the better of the 3 by far.

But I’m 100 percent sure this block is at tmo request. And tmo requested it as the december update was going out. That's why some are stuck on november. So it couldn't be because of the supposed bluetooth bug. That didn't pop up until the January update. If this was a issue with network interference or e911 incompatibility. We would see bug issues on the android developer site. It would be a work in process to get it fixed. Its quite on the android developers forum. Just unrelated bug discussions in progres for february update

So that only leaves something behind the scenes. Something tmo and google are hashing it out. Its got to be something that the two cant agree on. I highly suspect something feature related. I keep saying I think tmo wants something removed or blocked?

We're just going to have to wait it out. Once we do get a update. I’m pretty sure it will be a specific android build for tmo. We can pick it apart then and look for whats different.

Userlevel 2
Badge

Spoke with a technical rep from T-Mobile and was told they do not block updates and that December is the latest update that they have. So my guess now is that it’s a Google issue as they tried to connect me to Google and they were closed. Must have MLK day off so really nothing more to add to the story!

Badge +2

So that only leaves something behind the scenes. Something tmo and google are hashing it out. Its got to be something that the two cant agree on. I highly suspect something feature related. I keep saying I think tmo wants something removed or blocked?

We're just going to have to wait it out. Once we do get a update. I’m pretty sure it will be a specific android build for tmo. We can pick it apart then and look for whats different.

1. It’s more likely the time necessary to modify and fully test code, which is significant,
  2. It won’t be a specific T-Mo build for factory unlocked phones (like mine).
  3. It’s more likely a functional issue specific to the T-Mo network than something T-Mo wants removed or blocked.
Badge +2

Plus the silence speaks volumes. If Tmobile was protecting us or its network. You would think there would be a official response.”Hey our Tmo engineers found a issue with E911. Expect a slight delay while we work with google” Or “We noticed that your not getting your updates. Were working with google to get to the bottom of this” Something, anything its just silence.

• Not commenting on reworking a security update is normal. This is no big deal.
  • Disclosure is only necessary when there is a widespread problem, which isn’t the case here.
Userlevel 7
Badge +16

Spoke with a technical rep from T-Mobile and was told they do not block updates and that December is the latest update that they have. So my guess now is that it’s a Google issue as they tried to connect me to Google and they were closed. Must have MLK day off so really nothing more to add to the story!

That's a flat lie from them. 

Literally only one carrier and it's connected carriers are having this issue. I can't find one singular t mobile phone that has updated to the January update without outside assistance across here, Reddit and xda. Literally every other carrier anyone who goes to check it's there. 

it was also literally mentioned above that it was reported that Google Fi devices were having issues after the update and they run on TMOs network. gonna go out on a limb and say if the Google Fi devices are having issues then so is whatever update variant they have for TMO devices..if this is the case then theres your delay.

Userlevel 1
Badge

The updates come from Google. So tmobile doesn't need it. From what I have read. Google doesn't waite for approval each month. But they do allow carriers to request to block the update. Google won't send it to phones on that network. But I'm pretty sure Google wants a good reason. Like it causes issues with e911. Or some other network interference issue. 

But you can see that the update was blocked right after the December update. That's why some people on TMobile are still on the November update.

Also the update button was never really broken. It would still check for updates. But would only see the update. If your device was eligible. Google always released the update over a few weeks in batches. So if your device wasn't in the batch for the day. Your check now button wouldn't see it.

And until either Google or tmobile makes a statement. We won't know anything. 

Userlevel 1

It’s a staggered release for ALL devices. Doesn’t matter the carrier involved when it boils down to the Pixel devices. It’s not like the Nexus 6 and older devices. 

initially there will be a fork specific to a carrier for bug fixes which may affect other devices but it’ll eventually come down to 1 source code when they find a better fix or see the fix won’t break other devices. If you look at the factory images for an example. 

I have a 7 from Google and I don’t hVe the January update and I am not bothered by it as I understand it’s a staggered release. If I really wanted to I can install the OTA by side loading. 

Not true. Pixels can get the update OTA on demand as soon as it's released by Google as long as it's not being blocked by the carrier. I've had Pixels for years and this has always been the case. It's pretty clear from the discussions going on elsewhere that tmo has a problem with this build and is blocking the update. That being said, my P7 is on the December update and I'm fine with it staying that way until they work out whatever's wrong. If you're not, you can sideload the OTA from Google's site at your own risk. I'd rather not because I kinda need my phone to not be borked right now. 

Userlevel 1

I have had every Nexus and Pixel. It has ALWAYS been a staggered release. Even Google has stated from time to time. If you don't want to wait they even suggest side loading it and reason why they give the OTA file you can download. 

If what you saying is true then if it's unlocked just take the sim out and it should hit your device on wifi. 

Not true. Pixels can get the update OTA on demand as soon as it's released by Google as long as it's not being blocked by the carrier. I've had Pixels for years and this has always been the case. It's pretty clear from the discussions going on elsewhere that tmo has a problem with this build and is blocking the update. That being said, my P7 is on the December update and I'm fine with it staying that way until they work out whatever's wrong. If you're not, you can sideload the OTA from Google's site at your own risk. I'd rather not because I kinda need my phone to not be borked right now. 

As have I. Apparently you don't recall the last update that Google pulled last year. Apparently you don't recall that the "check for updates" button was broken for a number of Android releases and when they finally fixed it we could trigger an OTA download on demand instead of waiting for the "staged rollout" to notify us, the way it was designed to work. Being able to get the OTA on the day of release has always been a feature of Pixels. And I can't remove the SIM because it's an eSim. But like I said, I can wait until whatever is holding it up is no longer holding it up. 

So, I get that things happen and sometimes there is a delay. However, I don't get the lack of communication from T-Mobile and\or Google. Someone, somewhere knows something. And without communication, how will we know if it's just an issue with our phones? What if it turns out that some flag got set on our phones that tells Google's servers that our phones are up to date? We would have waisted a month waiting for them to fix something that isn't broken and they aren't working on...and we just needed to manual side-load the update to reset the flag. Within communication, there's no way to be sure we should wait or we should side load it. Very frustrating, IMO!

So I have Tmobile with an E-sim and it would not update.  So I plugged an ATT sim in from my work phone and disabled the Tmobile e-sim and did a manual update and it worked.

Userlevel 2
Badge

That's what I suspected , would have thought Verizon would have been the culprits as they are always slow to the game. Thanks for the info!

Userlevel 1
Badge

Both my wife and I are on the January update.after forcing it. Pixel 6a and 7. No issues with Bluetooth. Android auto is fine Ford pickup and Honda. And Anker headphones and Anker sound bar.

Tmobile blocked the updates while the December update was going out that's why some are stuck on November. The Bluetooth issue if there is one. Didn't pop up until the January update .

This has something either to do with network interference, E911 problems or tmobile wants something taken out? 

I have a feeling it has to do with visual voicemail. I had lots of issues with this. It always worked fine going all the way back to my Nexus 6. It only stopped  when upgrading to the pixel 7. I had to call in many times. To get it to work they finally had to provision my account to a older plan??

But one thing I remember in all my calls and chats up the support ladder. Was

1. Please use are visual voicemail app.

2. We don't support the built in Visual voicemail. Even on the phones they sell in-store.

3 top tech support told me that it was a huge issue and a head ache for them. Trying to figure out why it worked for some but not others?

So maybe tmo is asking for it to be removed?

Carriers do have power. Forcing the January update on my phone with a att sim. I noticed that the option to force the phone to stay on 4g was missing under network options. I googled it. And apparently this is something that att was able to force Google to follow. 

Also att blocked visual voicemail for years on Nexus and pixel phones. It wasn't until I believe the 6 that they finally allowed it to work officially. Also RCS texting Att was one of the last two allow it. 

​​​​​​So carriers do have more control then we think. 

​​​​​​

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

I love that answer because a service tech told me that T-Mobile doesn’t block any updates, another fricking lie she must be to far down the food chain to be told about the hold.

Well technically they don't block it. They send a request to Google. To stop the update to phones on the network. 

and this only happens if issues are spotted. not just because they feel like it.

Userlevel 2
Badge

My Pixel 7 has got the December update and that was the latest update,  its also funny that is when i purchased my phone from T-Mobile. Seems that T-Mobile is slow to the punch. I will keep things updated come the 15th as i am a little skeptical also!