Solved

Please allow me to remove myself from unwanted group texts, PLEASE

• 24 May 2019
  • 6 replies

I receive a group text announcing the birth of a baby that was sent out to 38 other people that I don’t even know. As a result, my phone has been inundated with a barrage of texts that I don’t want. There are so many coming through that it has caused other messages that I am trying to send to fail. It has also caused my phone to ”freeze” resulting in me having to power the phone down and restart. I have asked sender(s) to not add me/remove me from group texts, but that does not go over well. I have tried all the ”back door tricks” to silence the alerts to no avail. We should be allowed to remove ourselves from a group text - PERIOD.

icon

Best answer by gramps28 24 May 2019, 17:13

View original

6 replies

The method mentioned above for Android did not work for me. 

Anyone with ideas. Or do I need a different SMS Messaging app installed. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

That answer was from 2 years ago so the menu probably changed. You may want to Google your your sms app and how to disable group texts.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

What type of phone do you have, android or apple?

To turn off group chats on Android phones, open the Messages app and select Messages settings >> More settings >> Multimedia messages >> Group Conversations >> Off. Once you've been added to a group chat, you're allowed to delete yourself from it. From within the chat, tap on More >> Leave Conversation >>

How to leave a group text on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

What gramps pointed out is simple enough.  Group texts are also handled at the app level.  Yes, T-Mobile's network supports this function but ultimately, the annoyance you want to disable is at the app level. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

That is really annoying. Sorry about that. Have you tried the suggestions above? I'm guessing the sender may have entered your number by accident.