Solved

Please allow me to remove myself from unwanted group texts, PLEASE

• 24 May 2019
  • 6 replies

I receive a group text announcing the birth of a baby that was sent out to 38 other people that I don’t even know. As a result, my phone has been inundated with a barrage of texts that I don’t want. There are so many coming through that it has caused other messages that I am trying to send to fail. It has also caused my phone to ”freeze” resulting in me having to power the phone down and restart. I have asked sender(s) to not add me/remove me from group texts, but that does not go over well. I have tried all the ”back door tricks” to silence the alerts to no avail. We should be allowed to remove ourselves from a group text - PERIOD.

icon

Best answer by gramps28 24 May 2019, 17:13

View original

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

What type of phone do you have, android or apple?

To turn off group chats on Android phones, open the Messages app and select Messages settings >> More settings >> Multimedia messages >> Group Conversations >> Off. Once you've been added to a group chat, you're allowed to delete yourself from it. From within the chat, tap on More >> Leave Conversation >>

How to leave a group text on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

What gramps pointed out is simple enough.  Group texts are also handled at the app level.  Yes, T-Mobile's network supports this function but ultimately, the annoyance you want to disable is at the app level. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

That is really annoying. Sorry about that. Have you tried the suggestions above? I'm guessing the sender may have entered your number by accident.

The method mentioned above for Android did not work for me. 

Anyone with ideas. Or do I need a different SMS Messaging app installed. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

That answer was from 2 years ago so the menu probably changed. You may want to Google your your sms app and how to disable group texts.