Question

QUESTIONABLE ETHICS

• 30 May 2023
  • 3 replies

Badge

I recently UPGRADED A phone with the offered upgrade. At no point did it tell me or ask me to pay off the remaining balance on the phone I was upgrading. (It did ask me if I wanted to turn it in) Now I have 2 phones with the Same number that I am paying for. One of them is useless of course.  AT no point did T-Mobile tell me this. I thought I was UPGRADING a phone not ADDING a SEPARATE device.  This is blatant misrepresentation and downright dirty tactics if it’s legal.  

I NEVER EVER HAD this problem with SPRINT.  

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Upgrading a device does not mean it has to be swapping one for another.  Plenty of us, myself included, rarely trade in devices and yet still upgrade to something newer.  Pay off your old device, request it be permanently SIM unlocked, and then sell it on Swappa.  

Devices still being paid for on an EIP are not eligible to be traded in.  You might want to consider looking into the JUMP program if you don’t care about owning devices and just want to be able to swap out one for something newer every so often.  

Badge

The Point is this.  YES, devices on EIP ARE ELIGIBLE FOR TRADE IN AND UPGRADE, OR ELSE I WOULD NOT HAVE DONE THIS. I have done this for 20 years with SPRINT. This NEVER happened at SPRINT.  When I upgraded a phone, I upgraded a phone and the old one ceased to exist ESPECIALLY after they OFFERED me the Upgrade and DID NOT indicate ANYWHERE that I still had to pay the old one also or else I would not have done it.   TWO phones with the same phone number in which I can’t use is a scam period. If they were both going to still work, I could have understood it, but the new phone replaced the old one.  There was NO indication this was ADD a DEVICE. IT was an OFFER TO UPGRADE TO A NEW DEVICE in PLACE OF THE OLD like SPRINT used to do. The small amount I still owed was always waived because of the new contract.  I have 4 devices on this plan (5 Now) and trust me I am going to pay each one off and as they become paid for switch carriers.  They even asked if I wanted to turn the old phone in. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Tmobile is not Sprint. Different policies some better some not.