Solved

S23 Ultra problems with Google Maps

• 18 February 2023
  • 11 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge

Recently got my Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra from T-Mobile and all is well EXCEPT for one odd item:

Google Maps shows me as “not connected” but others that I approved can see me and other apps that use GPS have no problem.

• Google maps does not show me on the map and doesn’t pinpoint me.
  • Others that I approved can track me and see me.
  • Problem is present while on T-Mobile’s cell network or on any Wi-Fi.
  • Using the most current S23 Ultra firmware from T-Mobile.
  • All settings are like what I had with my previous “S21 Ultra 5G”.
  • Rebooted several times - same problem.
  • I uninstalled the Google Maps update - same problem (can’t delete the core app)
  • I reinstalled the Google Maps update - same problem.

What am I missing here? 

icon

Best answer by magenta2698891 20 February 2023, 01:16

View original

11 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

uninstall update and clear data for the app then open the app and see if the problem is fixed.  If it is then update and everything should be running as normal.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Thanks … I’ll try again as I uninstalled, clear the data, cleared the cache = problem still there. Then updated, same problem. So … I’ll do it one more time :-) 

Userlevel 1
Badge

No luck.

• Uninstalled the Google Maps update
  • Cleared cache and data
  • Rebooted
  • Started Google Maps = still says “not connected”
  • Updated Google Maps
  • Started Maps = still says “not connected”

I can see myself in Google Earth, others that I authorized can see me, apps list my location and coordinates … only Google Maps is acting weird. I even tried Google Maps Go but got the same results.

The only other option I have is a factory reset, which I am trying to avoid.  If something got corrupted in Google Maps when I used the Samsung app to move my S21 config to this S23, how can I completely remove it then reinstall it? Seems like it’s hard-coded and cannot be uninstalled, 

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

You best option is to back up your data - FR - and test it.  If it works then it’s a backup problem if it persists then it’s a Google/Samsung problem.  You can put your back up back on you just made.

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

A factory reset should not be necessary unless you think you have installed some sort of rogue app that is messing with it.  With new devices, these small issues can arise and are usually fixed with the next app update.  

One thing to note.  Did you update the app fro. the ay Store or the Galaxy Store?  I have noticed that app versions seem to differ between the two stores.  If you try uninstall ing the updates and then updating it through the Galaxy Store, does that resolve the issue?  If.not, using ADB to uninstall Google Maps and install it directly from the Galaxy Store might be worth trying before a factory reset.  

Userlevel 1
Badge

A factory reset should not be necessary unless you think you have installed some sort of rogue app that is messing with it.  With new devices, these small issues can arise and are usually fixed with the next app update.  

One thing to note.  Did you update the app fro. the ay Store or the Galaxy Store?  I have noticed that app versions seem to differ between the two stores.  If you try uninstall ing the updates and then updating it through the Galaxy Store, does that resolve the issue?  If.not, using ADB to uninstall Google Maps and install it directly from the Galaxy Store might be worth trying before a factory reset.  

Sayoran - I agree and as this issue is only a minor inconvenience, I’ll wait for the next T-Mo/Samsung update and see if it took care of this. I have not read about anyone else having this issue, but then again, it’s a very new phone. 

The Updates were from both the Google Store and the Galaxy Store, as it was the case for my previous “S21 Ultra 5G”. However, as I never saw any Google Maps update from the Galaxy store.

As for using ADB to uninstall Google Maps, that will be one of my options after the next T-Mobile/Samsung FW update. If the problem still exists, then I will look at the FR and ADB options.

One question though: You recommend updating from the Galaxy Store. Why? Shouldn’t the updates come from the Google Play store? I always wondered if there was a risk of updating from both places as this seems to be SOP for the S21 Ultra 5G and for the S23 Ultra.

Userlevel 1
Badge

You best option is to back up your data - FR - and test it.  If it works then it’s a backup problem if it persists then it’s a Google/Samsung problem.  You can put your back up back on you just made.

Tidbits - Yes, I was thinking about a FR. I just don’t want to go through the “reload & reconfigure” process again :-) As it’s just a minor inconvenience, I’ll wait for the next T-Mobile/Samsung update to see if it fixes this. I haven’t read about others who are seeing this problem but then again, this is a new phone. As for “rogue apps”, I never sideloaded anything and the apps I use worked fine on my previous “S21 Ultra 5G”. I suspect that IF an app got corrupted, it must have been Google Maps as it’s the only app that is doing this. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Sayoran - I agree and as this issue is only a minor inconvenience, I’ll wait for the next T-Mo/Samsung update and see if it took care of this. I have not read about anyone else having this issue, but then again, it’s a very new phone. 

The Updates were from both the Google Store and the Galaxy Store, as it was the case for my previous “S21 Ultra 5G”. However, as I never saw any Google Maps update from the Galaxy store.

As for using ADB to uninstall Google Maps, that will be one of my options after the next T-Mobile/Samsung FW update. If the problem still exists, then I will look at the FR and ADB options.

One question though: You recommend updating from the Galaxy Store. Why? Shouldn’t the updates come from the Google Play store? I always wondered if there was a risk of updating from both places as this seems to be SOP for the S21 Ultra 5G and for the S23 Ultra.

There have been a few issues reported on XDA where so.e have updated apps from the PlayStore and had issues but reinstalling the app through the Galaxy Store resolved that for them.  Noteabily, the same apps had different app versions in the Galaxy Store compared to the Play Store.  Google Messages was one that stood out specifically as I am using that over Samsung's Messages app currently.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Thanks … I’ll do a few more tests and report back :-)

Userlevel 1
Badge

RESOLVED - I redid the sequence but this time I rebooted once after removing the update then a second time after installing the update. Now Google Maps is working properly. It must have been some corruption during the port-over from the S21 to this S23 and I assume that after several tries, whatever was broken was fixed by the update. Could be that the double reboots helped :-)

Thanks “Syaoran” and “tidbits” for jumping in and helping

I've been having the same issues. I noticed that my mobile network signal connection has been very bad, range of -100 to -115 which is poor connection. I will be on Google Maps and my icon moves all over the place when I'm just sitting in the parking lot. It says low accuracy when it use to say high accuracy. The arrow doesn't point in the direction my phone is facing. I'll be following navigation directions and it tells me to turn when very late when I already have passed or it freezes up and it doesn't update move in time. I will be driving and it tells me GPS signal lost and then it comes back. My icon will be flying all over  in parking lot, in store, then across the street. Never had this issue before. Sometimes it super accurate and working without issue, but I think it always connecting and disconnecting since the signal is bad for some reason. And my areas coverage is all 5G and never had problems before.