Solved

S23 Ultra Texts Not Receiving

• 22 February 2023
  • 26 replies

Badge

After a few hours receiving text messages on my S23 start to slow down and eventually completely stop .   Restarting my phone only helps for a few hours until the problem reoccurs.  I’ve tried reinstalling Google Messages, singing up for the Beta, resetting the network settings, disabling wifi, etc. 

I have not tried a master reset yet.  

I noticed a similar thread regarding an S23 Ultra on a competing carrier’s community site.   

Has anyone seen similar issues with the S23?   I hate to return it.  

icon

Best answer by syaoran 22 February 2023, 08:42

View original

26 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Did you use SmartSwitch to import your settings and apps from your old device?  I have had an s23 Ultra since a week before launch.  It has been nothing short of lightning fast.  Are you using Samsung Messages or Google Messages?  I have been using Google Messages and haven’t had any issues with sending or receiving SMS and MMS messages.  I do have chat disabled though.  SmartSwitch copying over apps from older devices causes issues.  Factory reset your device if you used SmartSwitch to import anything and set it up without copying any backups.  

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

it could also be one of those release bugs new devices end up with from time to time..usually the OEM will have a handful of bug fixes and updates kicked out within the first few weeks ish to fix a lot of them.

Badge

I used Smartswitch from my S22 Ultra.  I usually used Google Messages, but I validated the issue with both Google Messages and Samsung Messages.   

I was thinking of resetting the phone and starting from scratch as a last step.  

I’ll try to disable chat. 

Thanks!

Did you use SmartSwitch to import your settings and apps from your old device?  I have had an s23 Ultra since a week before launch.  It has been nothing short of lightning fast.  Are you using Samsung Messages or Google Messages?  I have been using Google Messages and haven’t had any issues with sending or receiving SMS and MMS messages.  I do have chat disabled though.  SmartSwitch copying over apps from older devices causes issues.  Factory reset your device if you used SmartSwitch to import anything and set it up without copying any backups.  

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

it could also be one of those release bugs new devices end up with from time to time..usually the OEM will have a handful of bug fixes and updates kicked out within the first few weeks ish to fix a lot of them.

The most annoying issue I know is getting fixed in the next update, is the fingerprint reader.  It's just craptastic, even with two stored fingerprints of the same finger.  Add in a screen protector and it gets to be borderline unsuable at times.  That update should come within the next two weeks unless there is an issue that pops up.

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

yeah pretty much every device release has some kind of random bugs or issues that no one noticed during testing or it wasnt a large enough issue to hold things back.

you running into the same thing with MMS?

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

side question though. everything else data wise works fine though correct? and power saver mode is turned off? switch to 4G LTE only or away from 5G and see if the same issue still happens with MMS..you can send yourself a pic to test if it sends and if it actually gets received. wondering if the 23 is having some weird issue with reading/using the 5G with certain things.

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

yeah pretty much every device release has some kind of random bugs or issues that no one noticed during testing or it wasnt a large enough issue to hold things back.

you running into the same thing with MMS?

I have no issues with MMS.  I have sent quite a few over the past week and a half because of the awesome pictures this thing takes.  It does have a bit of a learning curve with the camera though.  I have chat disabled though in Google Messages.  

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

you dont run RCS through messenger? i just turn off the read reports..if and when i decide to read a text and then eventually reply is my business not theirs lol.

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

you dont run RCS through messenger? i just turn off the read reports..if and when i decide to read a text and then eventually reply is my business not theirs lol.

Nope.  It doesn't add anything I care about.  SMS and MMS is still more reliable right now.  Especially with Google tinkering with how RCS works currently.

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

Googles all i have ran on my last 4 devices..havent ran into any real issues that i can think of.

I just purchased the s23 ultra. I am unable to receive texts from Apple users and 2 step verification. I can receive them from android users however. I spent 3 hrs on the phone with the phone company to no avail. I did find that my use premium text messaging had no available apps in it and I'm unable to add or select anything there. If anyone has ideas. 

I've also exchange the one I bought with a brand new one a with the same result. I've reset network settings and factory reset the phone. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

I just purchased the s23 ultra. I am unable to receive texts from Apple users and 2 step verification. I can receive them from android users however. I spent 3 hrs on the phone with the phone company to no avail. I did find that my use premium text messaging had no available apps in it and I'm unable to add or select anything there. If anyone has ideas. 

I've also exchange the one I bought with a brand new one a with the same result. I've reset network settings and factory reset the phone. 

What texting app are you using?  I have no issues using Google Messages with chat disabled.  I got replies from 2 different people, one of which is on Verizon using an iPhone before replying.

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

There might be an update available for your device.  If it isn't, it should be so.e time over the next week or two.  Also check for updates for Samsung Messages in the Galaxy Store as well.

Mine just stopped working with RCS , status connecting with google messages. I want to clarify with a T-Mobile branded s23 I don't believe RCS is passing through Google Jibe servers but T-Mobile's. I'm really not happy with the basics on this device including voicemail and unreliable messaging compared to my pixel 7 pro.

Mine just stopped working with RCS , status connecting with google messages. I want to clarify with a T-Mobile branded s23 I don't believe RCS is passing through Google Jibe servers but T-Mobile's. I'm really not happy with the basics on this device including voicemail and unreliable messaging compared to my pixel 7 pro.

I have the exact same issue. moved over from OnePlus 9 to S23+. I had to turn off chat features otherwise other folks with Android are complaining i show as offline. I just switched over the weekend and it didn’t work from the getgo. I didn’t notice till people told me i’m showing as offline. 
I think it might be the phone switch app that may have caused issues. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Never use Smartswitch when changing devices!  It will always cause you unexpected issues.

Never use Smartswitch when changing devices!  It will always cause you unexpected issues.

This is not the resolution. I tried by using a complete wipe and installing fresh. There is definitely an issue with Samsung S23 variants connecting on RCS.

Update is that 2 Samsung S23+ devices can talk to each other on RCS - but not to any other android user. shows them as offline

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

This is not the resolution. I tried by using a complete wipe and installing fresh. There is definitely an issue with Samsung S23 variants connecting on RCS.

Update is that 2 Samsung S23+ devices can talk to each other on RCS - but not to any other android user. shows them as offline

If what you say was accurate.  Reddit and XDA would be full of people.reporting the same issue.  There are no reports of RCS issues in the S23 Ultra forums on XDA and I can't be bothered to check Reddit because most of them use XDA as well.

If what you say was accurate.  Reddit and XDA would be full of people.reporting the same issue.  There are no reports of RCS issues in the S23 Ultra forums on XDA and I can't be bothered to check Reddit because most of them use XDA as well.

there are other threads on this. It has to do with s23 shipping with carrier RCS vs Google (Jibe). definitely an issue with the carrier RCS service and S23 client compatibility. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

there are other threads on this. It has to do with s23 shipping with carrier RCS vs Google (Jibe). definitely an issue with the carrier RCS service and S23 client compatibility. 

I have had my s23 Ultra since February 10th and the girlfriend got hers on launch day.  I don't have any issue and if she did, I wouldn't have heard the end of it until it was fixed.

So this issue resolved itself, I personally think this was a issue with T-Mobile Jibe implementation blocking these new devices or a complete outage. The U1 Locked Variant will pull down settings including RCS Jibe server hosted by T-Mobile and not Google where a U0 Firmware will connect directly to Google's hosted instance of Jibe. Anyway I'm 99% sure this was a T-Mobile issue. They of course blamed third-party software (Google) and I had to explain what RCS is...

So this issue resolved itself, I personally think this was a issue with T-Mobile Jibe implementation blocking these new devices or a complete outage. The U1 Locked Variant will pull down settings including RCS Jibe server hosted by T-Mobile and not Google where a U0 Firmware will connect directly to Google's hosted instance of Jibe. Anyway I'm 99% sure this was a T-Mobile issue. They of course blamed third-party software (Google) and I had to explain what RCS is...

Anything i need to do at my end to fix this? I still have the same issue. Can only do RCS between s23s. Client still shows as RCS enabled through Tmobile not Jibe

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

U1 is non-carrier firmware for the US.  U is for carrier specific firmware for all US carrier models.  T-Mobile has always used the same implentations as Google, all of the way back to the G1.  This is why stock Android and T-Mobile work so well and Fi uses the T-Mobile network.

I've been experiencing similar problems! If it apple they just won't get it, if it's android it will give me the option to send thru SMS or the other one but even that doesn't always works! I've restarted and all of sudden  I get text messages that I guess I didn't get and the ones I sent go thru, but it's only for few hours, it's happening pretty regularly now at least every other day! But I'm noticing my camera doesn't work as good, so I don't know... I love the phone thou!!

So this problem continues to happen for the past 9 months now?   I just began to switch from ATT to Tmobile.  I first moved my wife’s phones over to Tmobile and she got the S23 upgrade.  Since she switched, she has consistently dropped calls and less than 50% of text are actually getting through.  We tried at different locations (different cell towers) and always for 4-5 bars.   I can be sitting next to her and send a text and she will never get it.   We’ve been on the line with Tmoibile support for over 12 hours total in the past 2 weeks.   I also got the S23, but have not ported my line to Tmobile - I’m still using ATT and have had no issues at all with calls or texts.   At this point we’ll have to cut our losses and go back to ATT.   My wife can’t afford to continue with this problem - it has cost her business already.