Switch to Jibe

• 13 November 2023
  • 21 replies

Badge +1

So T-Mobile supposedly says they’re switching RCS over to Jibe for those who have T-Mobile as the RCS but still hasn’t. I don’t think they are though. One would think they would test it out first and when they’re ready to roll out, make the announcement. If any rep can respond with an actually roll out ETA that would be great. If the answer is it’s on the works then we know it’s not happening for at least current models. I have the S23.

21 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

How are you even going to be able to tell now that newer versions of Google Messages have removed the line that tells you which RCS provider you are using?

Badge +1

When have they stopped? It seems a lot of my issues have been cell tower dependent.

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

In the beta versions.  A few versions ago.  It will eventually make its way into the stable version.

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

im not in the Beta and mine matches with yours now.

i think both of us looked a few weeks back and mine said Jibe but now it just says “learn more about RCS chats”.

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

im not in the Beta and mine matches with yours now.

i think both of us looked a few weeks back and mine said Jibe but now it just says “learn more about RCS chats”.

It's eventually going to be that way for all devices for Google Messages.

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

yeah i think this happened for me a couple updates back. i have had at least 2 since we looked last time and it said Jibe. so one of those updates made the change.

How are you even going to be able to tell now that newer versions of Google Messages have removed the line that tells you which RCS provider you are using?

Interesting, I'm on Beta but it still shows me the provided by information.

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

because youre still on the Beta. once out of that it’ll revert to not showing who its through anymore.

I have messages beta and I still have the line that says provided by T-Mobile

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Mine still shows nothing.  

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

S23U T-Mobile on Beta. Last update a couple days ago. 

Google could have switched it a LONG time ago like when they activated independent of carriers. They only handed it off if carriers were willing to interlope.

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

I have feedback so I didn't include that.  

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

The pain is Google could just drop the interlope and point to their servers like how it was before. They don't have to wait because it's all on their side and their app. Samsung Messages uses T-Mobile servers which actually would require Samsung but even Samsung is removing carrier RCS out of their app and eventually drop their app with Messages as the replacement. Some parts of the world it's already happening.  

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

i thought all the newer Samsung devices released over the last couple years used Google Messages?

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

Correct but they still have Samsung Messages installed. They are slowly phasing out Samsung messages starting removing carrier RCS then soon have it complete gone. A lot of carriers like O2 shown above have already transitioned to using Jibe instead of their own. Verizon is phasing out supposedly Q2. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

yeah i know the wifes new Samsung uses GM and we have RCS working. shes with V though but i might take a look and see what hers says..if its Jibe or what. now im curious lol

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Correct but they still have Samsung Messages installed. They are slowly phasing out Samsung messages starting removing carrier RCS then soon have it complete gone. A lot of carriers like O2 shown above have already transitioned to using Jibe instead of their own. Verizon is phasing out supposedly Q2. 

Samaung Messages has been removed from the firmware of the s23 Ultra backup as of Android 14.  If you had it already installed.  It's there, but if you remove it.  Even a factory reset will not restore it.  As of Android 14, Google Messages is the only messaging app in the US firmware package.  

Mine still shows nothing.  

Previous to it getting removed were you on jibe or T-Mobile? I have a feeling it's still there if you're on a carrier RCS but if you're on google jibe they probably removed the line saying so

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Mine was on Jibe before it disappeared.  I posted screenshots of it back in previous threads where some were still on T-Mobile for theirs at the time.

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

If you tap learn more it says RCS Chats By Google. If you are still using the carrier for RCS it'll say it instead of the learn more. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

yeah im at the “learn more” on my V60...this change came in for my phone a couple months ago maybe. 3-4 months maybe?