T-Mobile RCS Messaging Stability Issues

Userlevel 1
Badge

Since moving to the S23 with official locked Tmobile ROM, RCS messaging has been terrible. Fails to connect to RCS servers, fails to send text, fails to receive text all at random. Rebooting phone, clear Google Messages cache and deleting all text threads helps for a while, then it's back to terrible again.

I have researched online and others have the exact same issue. It all started when Samsung moved from Samsung Messages to Google Messages for the text app. The problem is that Google Messages which is now the official messaging app on Galaxy phones, still uses T-Mobile’s unreliable RCS services. They can reprogram the Google Messages app that official Tmobile Samsung phones have to use the stable Google Jibe RCS services instead. This only effects official Tmobile phones and not unlocked Samsung phones on Tmobile, as their Google Messages client uses Googles RCS services and not T-mobiles.  ATT just moved all their users from ATT RCS services back to Google Jibe for these performance reasons.

When is T-Mobile going to move Samsung Galaxy users off the unstable Tmobile RCS services and onto Google Jibe RCS services?  If any Tmobile reps are listening, please open a case with backend engineering to fix this.  Tmobile Samsung phone users have been dealing with for a year now.  This issue is enough to lose a substantial amount of subscribers over.

Need proof?

41 replies

After updating my Galaxy S22 Ultra (T-Mobile variant) from One UI 5 to One UI 6, I am no longer able to send RCS text messages via the Google Messages app; SMS and MMS works fine. And yes, RCS is enabled in the Google Messages settings.

I've tried clearing the app and cache data for Google Messages, Carrier Services, Google Play Store, and Google Play Services. I've uninstalled and reinstalled Google Messages and Carrier Services (both production and beta versions). And I've even wiped the cache partition.

Lastly, I factory reset my phone and even with a fresh install of the OS, the issue persists.

Since I didn't experience this issue prior to updating to One UI 6, I have concluded that this is an issue with One UI 6.

Is anyone else experiencing this issue? 

T-mobile RCS sucks. I had to switch to SMS.

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

I have zero issues with RCS still….but dont have a Sammy phone..

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

Have to wait for Google to switch you over. 

My daughter on the S23U T-Mobile variant is on T-Mobile until recently and she hasn't had a problem. She is now on Jibe.  I just got the S24U T-Mobile and it's on Jibe. Usually I buy unlocked phones but I ordered late and didn't want to wait for this phone this year. 

Wife - S22+ TRCS no trouble

Me - S24U JRCS no trouble

Son - Moto TRCS no trouble

Daughter S23U TRCS and now JRCS No trouble. 

I had a coworker who had trouble and got a new sim and that fixed his issue. 

Continues to be an issue with my wife’s S22U and she just got it replaced. Surprisingly all the techs seem to not be aware of this issue. 

My S21 purchased via Samsung has no issues (on Jibe).

Grounds for a class action are building. 

Since I didn't experience this issue prior to updating to One UI 6, I have concluded that this is an issue with One UI 6.

I just started having this issue in the last couple of weeks.  I am sure I was updated to One UI 6.  I’ve noticed though it’s always the contacts who have Apple phones where I get the error message “Trouble Sending. Check Options” (as well as “Waiting for connection” When I AM already connected to WiFi!. It’s pretty much every day several times a day.  The only contact that I see the messages sent as RCS has an android.

Time to see if I can find another Texting app. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

There's been issues with General Samsung devices across the world. Doesn't matter if on carrier or Google servers. 

https://www.sammobile.com/news/rcs-messages-not-working-properly-for-some-galaxy-phone-users/

RCS is totally unusable on my wife’s S23U. When will it be switched over to use Jibe?

My wife and I, both on tmo, are having constant issue with RCS even with each other both using the Google Messages app.  I have issues with other users not on tmo as well.  Basically, tmo’s implementation appears to suck.
Not happy...

First my OP N300, then my son’s TCL X30 and now my wife’s Moto Edge 2022 all have this problem. TM support told me it was because I was on a 4G plan. Upgraded to the Magenta plan last night, but so far I’m not seeing an improvement.  I was going to switch to an S24 for performance issues with the N300, too bad it won’t fix this problem.

I have been having issues with RCS working on my phone since I've gotten it. The issue rears its head mostly in group chats where I do not receive about 2/3 of messages sent to me. This has resulted in me being inadvertently excluded from social events because people didn't know I wasn't receiving messages and obviously I didn't know either. I have had to disable RCS to reliably receive messages from my friends. I am also no longer part of a friend group chat and have to rely on my wife to convey information to me about social outings.

Feels like using T-Mobile makes me a second-class citizen. Perhaps T-Mobile wants us to change carriers?

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

I have been having issues with RCS working on my phone since I've gotten it. The issue rears its head mostly in group chats where I do not receive about 2/3 of messages sent to me. This has resulted in me being inadvertently excluded from social events because people didn't know I wasn't receiving messages and obviously I didn't know either. I have had to disable RCS to reliably receive messages from my friends. I am also no longer part of a friend group chat and have to rely on my wife to convey information to me about social outings.

Feels like using T-Mobile makes me a second-class citizen. Perhaps T-Mobile wants us to change carriers?

Your issue is a Samsung issue. Google messages and Samsung devices been having issue. Doesn’t matter the carrier and which RCS server around the world. 

https://www.sammobile.com/news/rcs-messages-not-working-properly-for-some-galaxy-phone-users/

Your issue is a Samsung issue. Google messages and Samsung devices been having issue. Doesn’t matter the carrier and which RCS server around the world. 

I have seen this happen but is not actually the problem I'm experiencing, since the message will get delivered in some form. The issue I'm having is that I'm just straight up not getting a significant portion of messages from people when I have RCS enabled. Not as sms or rcs, they just go off into the ether. And that is a Jibe/T-Mobile server issue.

The reason I know is that the people I'm having this issue with have the same exact phone as me, or same-generation Samsung devices but are on different carriers. I have checked their RCS settings and they have Jibe as their RCS provider, while I'm over here on the pathetic T-Mobile servers playing by myself.

After updating my Galaxy S22 Ultra (T-Mobile variant) from One UI 5 to One UI 6, I am no longer able to send RCS text messages via the Google Messages app; SMS and MMS works fine. And yes, RCS is enabled in the Google Messages settings.

I've tried clearing the app and cache data for Google Messages, Carrier Services, Google Play Store, and Google Play Services. I've uninstalled and reinstalled Google Messages and Carrier Services (both production and beta versions). And I've even wiped the cache partition.

Lastly, I factory reset my phone and even with a fresh install of the OS, the issue persists.

This happened to us when we moved to T-Mobile in Dec and got new S23+ phones. Nothing fixes it because T-Mobile is using their own servers in the Google messages RCS process, instead of using the established Google Jibe server. They said they're fixing that but apparently instead of only affecting new phones they're switching everyone to their servers worth updates, thus breaking more and more people. We finally gave up and went straight SMS because we were missing so many messages. 

We had no issues with our Galaxy S21+ on Verizon, only when we moved to T-Mobile and got new S23+. You can even see T-Mobile is using their own servers for RCS when you view the RCS settings about info.

First my OP N300, then my son’s TCL X30 and now my wife’s Moto Edge 2022 all have this problem. TM support told me it was because I was on a 4G plan. Upgraded to the Magenta plan last night, but so far I’m not seeing an improvement.  I was going to switch to an S24 for performance issues with the N300, too bad it won’t fix this problem.

So instead of T-Mobile moving new phones back to Google Jibe Servers it sounds like they're doubling down on using their own broken system for all their customers? Maybe they want to keep people from using encrypted communation and force us all to SMS with crappy RCS service?