Question

Tab S7+ update included with S8/+ update to 13?

Badge

I've looked and the tab s7+ 5g is no where on the software update progress list... just wondering if anybody knows if these 2 devices will be updated at the same time since they're so similar?  If not when can we expect that for tmobile?  I'm unlocked and wondering if I should update myself...

10 replies

I have the same questions regarding the Tab S7 5G. This device is promised updates for 3 years from Samsung...it looks like T-Mobile is holding the updates back. 

Been waiting also. Went through the same thing with the Motorola My Touch. It was a big blame game, T-Mobile blaming Motorola and vice-versa. I got tired of waiting and got a different phone. It's a shame that carriers don't abide by the manufacturers update process. T-Mobile does the same with OnePlus devices.

When you question them about an update, they send you to the update page or give generic non answers saying they don't know or that they are waiting on the manufacturer to make it available.

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

Been waiting also. Went through the same thing with the Motorola My Touch. It was a big blame game, T-Mobile blaming Motorola and vice-versa. I got tired of waiting and got a different phone. It's a shame that carriers don't abide by the manufacturers update process. T-Mobile does the same with OnePlus devices.

When you question them about an update, they send you to the update page or give generic non answers saying they don't know or that they are waiting on the manufacturer to make it available.

OnePlus’s issues are on them..

seeing as how if you look at the list of completed devices you’ll see that theyre ALL Samsung devices..if the S7 Tab isnt listed its because Samsmung either hasnt updated their stuff to TMO or there are issues..but even if there are/were issues it would be listed..which oddly enough it isnt..the S8 is..but not the S7..so wonder if they did like OP did and are doing the 3 years of updates starting with a certain device and newer..so maybe the S8/S8 Tab and newer...would explain why its not even listed.

Many non T-Mobile Tab S7 tablets all over the world got the update back in November so I don't think it is on Samsung. I think T-Mobile is the issue here.

As far as OnePlus, non T-Mobile branded OnePlus devices get updates just fine. I don't know what the hold up is with T-Mobile and some phone/tablet manufacturers. They sure don't mess with Apple updates. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

the U.S isnt exactly on the same page as the rest of world when it comes to updates..

apple has certain terms with every carrier..basically if theyre pushing a update through its going through period..

Samsung is somewhat the same way but not quite….but again if you look which OEM is smashing through updates to 13 and their devices? Samsung..yet nothing for the Tab 7...kind of odd dont you think that theyre doing so well with all the others but no mention of it..yet the Tab8 is listed..as is the S8...but no S7… so nothing on both the Tab7 and S7 but the Tab8 and S8 are listed..willing to bet their 3 year update deal starts with the S8/Tab8 and newer.

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

i am a bit curious though..did the Tab 7 receive 12? if it didnt that might explain why its not listed (listed devices are for Android 13 only and not previous updates still pending)...if it DID receive 12 then my original comment might still stand on it not being new enough to be listed with the 3 year devices.

It did receive Android 12. User in the US started getting Android 13 on their Tab S7 tablets in late November/early December, except for the T-Mobile variant. Verizon got it as did Wi-Fi only variants in the US.

Even the S10 series got it and as someone in the Samsung forums noted that it was to receive 3 Android updates so I don't buy the whole premise that it started with the Tab S8. I remember Samsung announcing that back when I had the S10+.

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

interesting. the fact its not showing up on the 13 list is a bit odd then

Quiet update for the tab s7+ 5g the other day... just an FYI for those who were looking for the Android 13 update.

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

I want to point this out which most people won’t listen.

Why the REST of the world often get updates quicker than US.

Yes - They have carrier bloat, and A LOT more than in the USA in some countries.  Buy a S23 Ultra from Korea for an example.  Shoot a Japanese Sony Xperia as another.  Korea is one of the WORST offenders when it comes to carrier bloatware.  It was so bad the government stepped in and made it all be abled to be uninstalled. 

Yes - There is carrier testing, and governmental testing in those countries as well.

what’s different then?  They blame OEMs, and hold them accountable.  We blame the carriers who DON’T touch the code.  As a developer, and any developer who has worked for large firms or companies will tell you.  NO company will give source code to ANYONE outside the company.  FULL STOP.  That’s like Microsoft giving Windows 11 source code and expect all manufacturers of PC’s to not leak any code.  100k+ people and expecting not one of them to leak anything?  Easier to control in house than other companies and their employees.

OEM’s have clout.  I mean look at Apple and how well they update their products.  Don’t tell me a company like Samsung can’t do the same thing.  They have a large portion of the market(larger than Apple).  They could call out OEM’s publicly if they were delaying updates or they could simply say we’ll push the updates anyway like Apple.  Why don’t they?