Unfortunately, Visual Voicemail has stopped.

• 5 February 2019
  • 13 replies

I just updated Visual Voicemail from the play store.  As soon as I try to start it, it says it has stopped.  I tried uninstalling and reinstalling it, but it does the same thing.  When I reboot the phone, the same message comes up.

The phone is a Samsung S4 mini running Android 4.4.2.   The old version of VVM, 5.21.3.80782, worked okay.  Is there any way to get the old version back or to make the new version work?

--

oobleck

13 replies

Userlevel 5

You could sideload the APK for an older version of the app from some trusted source like a p k mirror.com.

Thanks! Is that generally a good (i.e. safe) place for apk's?  I've never had to use it.

I wish I'd read the reviews before doing the update, like I usually do.  The vast majority of recent reviews are one-star because it doesn't work for one reason or another.

--

oobleck

Userlevel 5

You're running a pretty old version of Android. So finding any apps that update any longer or properly may be a struggle going forward. In other words you may be stuck using old versions of apps from here on out until you update or upgrade to a new phone.

Userlevel 5

it's just my opinion mind you but I wouldn't use anything that was older than 7.0 nougat. Two versions back is about as far into the past as I can go with the apps that I use.

now that's not to say that going forward that the next 4 iterations or versions of Android won't work just fine on something 5 years old.

it just so happens that hardware and software made big changes between KitKat and pie.

It turns out that even the old versions won't work anymore.  I tried several versions, both newer and older than the one that used to work, and none of them worked; they all stopped as soon as they started.  Before it dies, the oldest version says something about being unable to connect to the cellular network, which isn't a surprise since I don't have a data plan.  That never mattered before, though. 

--

oobleck

Yesterday I talked to T-mobile support.  The CSR told me that T-mobile no longer supports Visual Voicemail, which would explain why it doesn't work any more.

Also, T-mobile's prepaid plans don't support conditional call forwarding, which means you can't use a third-party voicemail app.  Too bad!

--

oobleck

Userlevel 3

Hey, @oobleck7​!

Visual Voicemail is most definitely still supported. Can you share with me the version of the app that you're running now? Also, can you please follow these steps so I can see if we've already identified a work around?

1. Open the app, then tap Settings.
  2. Scroll down to About, then reply with the last 6 digit code at the bottom of the screen. (see screenshot for an example)

VVM.png

Thanks for getting back to me!

I'm running version 5.26.4.81400.  But I can't follow your troubleshooting steps because the app crashes as soon as I start it.  The first time I run it after installing (or clearing data), I get a welcome screen; when I click Next, it briefly says "Retry now", then crashes.  After that, it crashes about a second after it
starts. 

I've tried several older versions, but they all behave the same way.

-- oobleck

Userlevel 4

Is the 5.26.4.81400 version you are getting when doing a fresh install from the Play Store? Do you know anyone with a newer T-Mobile phone you can try your SIM in to see if VVM still fails?

Yes, I just installed it from the Play store.

The problem seems to be fixed!  Yesterday out of the blue a VVM window popped up saying it had been activated, and it's been working since.  I assume someone at T-mobile did something to fix it.   Thanks for the help, whoever did it.

--

oobleck

Good to know. Would have been nice if they told us that. This feature does NOT work the way it's supposed to or the way I thiyvht it would.

Argh! My Visual Voicemail was working a few weeks ago, and now a recent auto-update on Jul 23 broke it. Crashes right after it starts. I have a Galaxy S4 running Android 4.4.4

App info is 5.35.0.82646

How can I install the previous version?

Argh! My Visual Voicemail was working a few weeks ago, and now a recent auto-update on Jul 23 broke it. Crashes right after it starts. I have a Galaxy S4 running Android 4.4.4

App info is 5.35.0.82646

How can I install the previous version?

I found the “Uninstall Updates” in App Info that lets me go back to the factory-install version (Grr. It would be nice to be able to select which version to update to.)

Unfortunately it now hangs at the “Processing...” step and complains that it cannot contact the server. (“No response from server. Please make sure that you have connection to the data network or try again later.”)