Unknown numbers being added to a group message

• 25 October 2022
  • 6 replies

Badge

I am in a group message with two other T-Mobile users. group was started by one of the other users. My screen shows a number was added to the group message and it wasn't anyone any of us knew. The other users in group chat said they didn't see the text that says the number joined group...How is a random number adding themselves to our group chat?  Is one of our phones hacked or is this some random occurrence? (Gibbs rule#1, no such thing as a coincidence) 10-25-2022

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

someone would need to initiate adding that number in..this is a group text correct? unless someones texting app is going haywire but even then it wouldnt pull a number in out of the air.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

My sister started a group sms amongst the 5 siblings and their was a number in the group that I didn't recognize.  I asked my sister and she didn't know it either. Turns out Verizon who she uses assigned an unknown number to the group text. I'm not sure why.

Badge

Good morning - this has been happening to me in a group with my siblings. They get removed from the chat and random numbers get added! I’m using a Galaxy S22 Ultra and I have a Samsung watch with a plan paired to this phone. 

Wondering if you have the same device and/or a watch paired to your phone too?

I have a feeling it could be the watch phone number belonged to someone else before me, and maybe the numbers being added are from an old chat it was a part of or something like that.

Here’s an example. Rob and Mark are my siblings. None of us invited these random 719 numbers to the group. When they 719 numbers joined, my brothers both suddenly ‘left’ the group - were removed. When I texted back to the group to ask who the 719 numbers were, my brothers came back and the 719’s left…  it’s very odd and disconcerting that some random phone numbers ended up in my group chat with my family, and could potentially see the history as well.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

This hasn't happened to me recently but it happened a few years ago when I moved to Arizona.

Good morning - this has been happening to me in a group with my siblings. They get removed from the chat and random numbers get added! I’m using a Galaxy S22 Ultra and I have a Samsung watch with a plan paired to this phone. 

Wondering if you have the same device and/or a watch paired to your phone too?

I have a feeling it could be the watch phone number belonged to someone else before me, and maybe the numbers being added are from an old chat it was a part of or something like that.

Here’s an example. Rob and Mark are my siblings. None of us invited these random 719 numbers to the group. When they 719 numbers joined, my brothers both suddenly ‘left’ the group - were removed. When I texted back to the group to ask who the 719 numbers were, my brothers came back and the 719’s left…  it’s very odd and disconcerting that some random phone numbers ended up in my group chat with my family, and could potentially see the history as well.

The same thing just happened to me my siblings were kicked out of the group and they were added in and a month ago 2 random numbers were added in and it said I added them when I never did idk how this keeps happening 

Me, too! It freaks me out. I usually block those numbers. Noone in our 4 person chat added anyone. What the heck, T-Mobile and Samsung?