Question

Unlocking oem pixel 7 pro

• 14 September 2023
  • 15 replies

Badge

hi everyone,

I am a apps developer. i bought a pixel 7 pro from ebay for my job. But this device is locked , both sim locked and OEM locking. 

I downloaded t mobile unlock app to try unlock sim , but it said unlock fail. 

I dont have a tmobile sim . 

So can i unlock OEM to tesing my apps ? now it is grey button . 

My imei : 358039170527143 

Thanks ! 

15 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

You need to be a Tmobile USA customer to be eligible for an unlock code.

If the seller reported selling the phone as unlocked I suggest contacting the seller to ask for a refund.

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

You need to be a T-Mobile customer and meet all of the SIM Unlock Policy requirements to qualify for a SIM unlock from T-Mobile

https://www.t-mobile.com/responsibility/consumer-info/policies/sim-unlock-policy

The device must be SIM unlocked for the option for OEM Unlock toggle to work in Developer Options.

I recently paid off my device and was able to sim unlock my pixel 7. After unlocking the SIM, the OEM unlock is still grayed out. Is the pixel 7 from T-Mobile not able to be unlocked? Even after the SIM unlock?

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Did you do a permanent SIM unlock or just a temporary?

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

On Pixel phones sold by Tmobile they wil be permanently unlocked after 40 days of usage on Tmobile towers whether paid off or still having a balance.

Are you trying to unlock the bootloader?

I am permanently unlocked on TMobile for the SIM unlock. I am trying to unlock the bootloader. I need to toggle the" OEM unlock" but it's grayed out. After the full permanent sim unlock. I thought the" oem unlock" would be available but it is currently still grayed out.

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

That's odd.  Usually a permanent SIM unlock will enable the toggle for OEM unlock on Pixel devices.  Have you tried a factory reset considering the OEM unlock toggle would wipe the device anyway?

I have factory reset and tried to boot with a different SIM.  It is indeed SIM unlocked.  Does the SIM need to be active? I booted with an inactive US Cellular sim. It did pick up that it was a US Cellular sim but it obviously didn't have any cellular connectivity or data. I inserted the T-Mobile SIM and everything booted up fine. But with either sim inserted it is the option for OEM. Unlocking is still grayed out.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

You may find your answer faster on the Google support page for Pixel phones.

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

The SIM shouldn't matter   It should still allow you to toggle OEM unlock without a SIM.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

A quick search shows only Pixels sold by Google have unlocked bootloaders. Pixels sold by carriers will have locked bootloaders.

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

A quick search shows only Pixels sold by Google have unlocked bootloaders. Pixels sold by carriers will have locked bootloaders.

That was always the case because the SIM lock was tied to the OEM unlock.  Unless aomething has changed.  A permanent SIM unlock would enable the OEM toggle to no longer be greyed out.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

This was posted on Google support.

https://support.google.com/pixelphone/thread/201204315/can-the-bootloader-on-all-pixels-be-unlocked?hl=en

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Interesting.  That's got to be fairly new.  That is going to save me from buying a Pixel from T-Mobile then to try out Graphene OS on.  

Might be worth checking the Pixel forum for your device on XDA to see if there is any workaround.  

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

You get better deals through Google and their trade in process is a very easy process.