Solved

update from lg g8 thinq to android 11

• 6 December 2021
  • 14 replies

Badge
Will the lg g8 thinq that went from sprint be updated to android 11?
icon

Best answer by Zoe Leigh 13 February 2022, 16:05

View original

14 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

unsure.. as of now LG is pretty much gone in the wind when it comes to phones anymore..

Badge
I understand, so it is not safe to update. I thought T-Mobile would take over by buying Sprint. Thank you.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

It's up to LG to provide the updates. I read they were only updating the Korean versions of their phones.

Please stop blaming phone carriers for lack of operating system updates.  The phone manufacturer, in this discussion LG is the company that sends out updates to t- Mobile and other carriers.  Then the carrier needs to  add their additions, in this case T-mobile updated scam shield, t- mobile login screen, T- mobile billing screens and alot more.  Then T-Mobile can update our phones.  LG is the problem here because they shut down their entire cell phone sales division.  Yes, LG did promise operating system updates to phones to continue they have lagged most of the industry by almost 1.5 years.  Ahain, T-Mobile can't do upfates to our phones unless lg sends the update to them.  I own an unlocked LG G8 (not T-mobile).  On an unlocked, non carrier branded phone LG sends updates directly to the phone with no carrier overlay.  No update yet to A11 is happening on unlocked USA phones either.

Please stop blaming phone carriers for lack of operating system updates.  The phone manufacturer, in this discussion LG is the company that sends out updates to t- Mobile and other carriers.  Then the carrier needs to  add their additions, in this case T-mobile updated scam shield, t- mobile login screen, T- mobile billing screens and alot more.  Then T-Mobile can update our phones.  LG is the problem here because they shut down their entire cell phone sales division.  Yes, LG did promise operating system updates to phones to continue they have lagged most of the industry by almost 1.5 years.  Ahain, T-Mobile can't do upfates to our phones unless lg sends the update to them.  I own an unlocked LG G8 (not T-mobile).  On an unlocked, non carrier branded phone LG sends updates directly to the phone with no carrier overlay.  No update yet to A11 is happening on unlocked USA phones either.

FYI, T-Mobile was supplied the android 11 source for LG UX 10 in March 2021. Last year. 

A11 isn't slated for updates, and Sprint G8 to T Mobile is likely going to be lost in limbo as the phone can't be released to t-mobile for t-mobile branding.

LG phone division is gone, and Sprint tech division is already shut down (not retained). All there is, is the online help chat left of Sprint to help trouble shoot the G8 and other sprint devices. 

I understand your point.  Since the source code was received by TM in March I would have to agree that the company has had ample time to add their overlay.  

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

I understand your point.  Since the source code was received by TM in March I would have to agree that the company has had ample time to add their overlay.  

would you like to guess whom they must send the update back to to be retested before it could be sent out to the public?

Ummm, could it be LG?

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

the one that is no longer doing anything with phones? you are correct.

Oh my gosh.  I have to readdress my whole thought process.  Lol.  

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

they promised at least 2 updates even after announcing shutting down..how theyre going to pull it off and the time frame of this actually happening is anyones guess.

No recibo una actualización en mi LG G8 desde febrero 2021 y fue un parche de seguridad de ese mes, desde entonces mi teléfono no recibe absolutamente nada.

Tengo el LG G8 versión LM-G820um

Quisiera saber si tendré esperanza de poder recibir Android 11

Badge

My wife’s LG G8 ThinQ updated successfully to Android 11 a couple of days ago.  Everything seems to be working.  I checked for an update for my LG G8 ThinQ and it said “Your system is up to date” even thought it’s still on Android 10.  It seems strange to me why one phone got the update and the other did not.  As far as I know, they are absolutely identical.

Badge

11 hours after posting the above post, I received a notification from settings and in the Update area, Android 11 was ready to download and install.  It took about an hour and it’s up and running with Android 11.  The only thing I can think of is that the update rollout was based on serial numbers.  The phone had been left on overnight and the update notification happened during that time.  It’s a good feeling that such a good phone is on an updated OS after 2 years of ownership.  (LM-G820TM)