Question

VoLTE support for Realme under BYOD

• 9 February 2022
  • 3 replies

Badge

I just purchased the Realme Master Edition GT (RMX3363). It supports VoLTE, wifi calling, and all Tmo (and legacy Sprint) bands except 71. 

Is there any way to petition for VoLTE and wifi calling support to be recognized on phones like this? The Tmobile BYOD checker says this phone doesn’t have VoLTE, but it does. I’ve used other off brand phones (currently using one, but not going to call out the make/model here, just in case Tmo goes out of their way to block/ban such phones) from other parts of the world on Tmobile with no problem on VoLTE and wifi calling support.

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

There are different implementations of VoLTE and WiFi Calling.  T-Mobile uses the default Google implementation.  Other carriers, like AT&T and Verizon, use different versions, which aren’t compatible with each other.  When you purchase overseas devices, they are more than likely not compatible with VoLTE and WiFi Calling on US carriers.  

Badge

I’ve used plenty of phones from “overseas” including models from Leeco, ZTE, Umidigi, and Xiaomi - and every single one has been able to run VoLTE and Wifi Calling on Tmobile despite not being officially supported by Tmobile. At the time I used them, these phones were far closer to running stock Android than their US counterparts. VoLTE and Wifi Calling services are provided by Android and whitelisted by the carriers -- ATT and Vz are not using “different versions,” but access these services through Android.

My question again is: is there a way to overcome this on realme phones?

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

I have used some devices from overseas as well, like my Xiaomi MI MIX 3.  The carrier profiles are different, which is set by the manufacturer, so yes, the implementations are different.  You might be able to change them using Qualcom's PDA tool, but those changes won't stick and will have to be redone with every reboot and update.