Question

When will T-Mobile convert their RCS platform to the Jibe Platform (Google) for RCS?

• 24 October 2023
  • 37 replies

Badge

I’ve noticed that Samsung S21-S23 are on T-Mobile’s servers for RCS messaging (AKA Google Messages). But there is an update from T-Mobile’s twitter account posted on 9/21/23 that they will be migrating to Jibe. Any idea or ETA that these devices will migrate. 

37 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

My T-Mobile s23 Ultra using Google Messages has always shown Jibe when RCS is enabled.  I usually use Pulse though for my SMS/MMS needs though.  

Badge

My T-Mobile s23 Ultra using Google Messages has always shown Jibe when RCS is enabled.  I usually use Pulse though for my SMS/MMS needs though.  

The one on my account and a handful of people I know it shows “provided by T-Mobile” instead of Jibe. My LG V60 and the pixel that is also on my account show “provided by Jibe”.

T-Mobile Newsroom on X: ".@TMobile customers are getting an upgraded Messages by Google experience, now powered by RCS and Google’s Jibe platform. This means customers will get all new features instantly and have a better experience messaging with businesses thanks to Rich Business Messaging (RBM). https://t.co/JqciAtY1ft" / X (twitter.com)

Badge

My S20FE is now on Jibe servers, but my spouses A53 still says RCS provided b T-Mobile.

Why?

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

and which texting app is on the S20 compared tothe A53? same app or different?

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Anyone still having T-Mobile for the RCS.  Try disabling RCS for a day and then re-emabling it to see if that helps.  Just turning it off and right back on doesn't allow the connection for RCS to refresh. 

I had Google Messages removed from my device for most of the time I have had my s23 Ultra and Samsung Messages is also not installed either.  I usually use Pulse but recently installed Google Messages again from the Play Store to test and troubleshoot some Android 14/One UI 6 issues people were reporting on Samsung Members.  

Badge

To Fireguy: My S20FE and A53 are both using Google Messages.

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

To Fireguy: My S20FE and A53 are both using Google Messages.

were both purchased from TMO or just one of them?

Badge

S20FE was bought used, reconditioned, A53 bought new from T-Mobile.

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

There's nothing difficult about it.  

Badge

2 phones on my account look exactly like yours, but the Samsung S23 Ultra shows “provided by T-Mobile” instead. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

we were chatting about it a bit ago..wondering if the non TMO variants are the ones showing this while the TMO variants are showing as Jibe.

for those running into this..was your device purchased from TMO or brought in as a BYOD or purchased elsewhere carrier unlocked?

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

2 phones on my account look exactly like yours, but the Samsung S23 Ultra shows “provided by T-Mobile” instead. 

That's odd, because I am using an S23 Ultra purchased from T-Mobile.

I still have RCS provided by T-Mobile platform on my Motorola Razr Plus.  I bought the phone from T-Mobile back in June.  I turned of RCS chats a couple of months ago as RCS messages would hang while being sent out or receiving.  SMS messages would go through fine.  

I enabled RCS today to see if the platform switches to Jibe, but it was still provided by T-Mobile.  I promptly turned RCS chats off again.

I was on Mint Mobile before switching to Tmo in June.  They use the same cellular network.  However, my RCS chat platform there was Jibe.  I used an unlocked Motorola Edge phone with Mint.

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Google is removing where it shows the RCS provider in Messages.  Once that update hits, there won't be any way to tell from within the app.

Badge

Still waiting for T-Mobile to make the switch. Meanwhile the message issues have gotten worse! This is extremely frustrating as there were important messages missed lately. 

Badge +1

Anyone still having T-Mobile for the RCS.  Try disabling RCS for a day and then re-emabling it to see if that helps.  Just turning it off and right back on doesn't allow the connection for RCS to refresh. 

I had Google Messages removed from my device for most of the time I have had my s23 Ultra and Samsung Messages is also not installed either.  I usually use Pulse but recently installed Google Messages again from the Play Store to test and troubleshoot some Android 14/One UI 6 issues people were reporting on Samsung Members.  

It's a hardcoded IMS setting. It points at T-Mobile RCS path and connects to Jibe as well. When you send a RCS message it's sending to both.

We bought our Galaxy S23 phones in Dec when we moved to T-mobile and our RCS still shows "provides by T-Mobile" and we continue to have random issues. I've found that uninstalling the Google Messages update and reinstalling it helps some. T-Mobile needs to hurry up and fix it on all newer phones. All their older phones go through Jibe so I'm not sure why this is so hard for them. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

We bought our Galaxy S23 phones in Dec when we moved to T-mobile and our RCS still shows "provides by T-Mobile" and we continue to have random issues. I've found that uninstalling the Google Messages update and reinstalling it helps some. T-Mobile needs to hurry up and fix it on all newer phones. All their older phones go through Jibe so I'm not sure why this is so hard for them. 

No issues with my s23 Ultra and RCS.  Mine hasn't showed the provider in a while but before it stopped showing the provider, it was Jibe.  Again, no issues with texting here.

I have a S22 on a corporate account.    I am still showing RCS provided by T-Mobile (not jibe).  I have issues time to time in not receiving pictures in messages, whether with a single user using  RCS chat or via MMS on group threads some with iphones.   Other times group text replies to me with several users are received out of order.   Not sure why this happens  but I don't recall it happening with Google Messages when account was with AT&T and using a S20FE.  

I have been looking for this switch to Jibe and if it might improve the overall experience.  Very frustrating they posted this news on X but have not followed up with any clarifications or made the switch to jibe on my modern device. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

I have a S22 on a corporate account.    I am still showing RCS provided by T-Mobile (not jibe).  I have issues time to time in not receiving pictures in messages, whether with a single user using  RCS chat or via MMS on group threads some with iphones.   Other times group text replies to me with several users are received out of order.   Not sure why this happens  but I don't recall it happening with Google Messages when account was with AT&T and using a S20FE.  

I have been looking for this switch to Jibe and if it might improve the overall experience.  Very frustrating they posted this news on X but have not followed up with any clarifications or made the switch to jibe on my modern device. 

It makes me wonder if the RCS difference might be related to corporate/business acxoumds versus non-business accounts.

Badge +1

I have a locked T-mobile S22 base and even with the latest Google Messages apps (2024.03.08) “messages.android_20240308_01_RC03.phone_samsung_dynamic” , I still have RCS issues where I will either not received RCS messages or it will not send RCS messages. Yet if I switch to Samsung Messages, RCS works perfectly and instantly. 

I am tired of not having a working Google Messages app as I really do not like the organization and display of the Samsung Messages app. Yet it’s been years and it’s still not fixed. I was really hoping that the information from T-mobile months ago meant that the new firmware or app updates would solve this and I would be using the Jibe servers for RCS on Google Messages. Still hasn’t happened.

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

Might not even be a T-Mobile or Google issue. Happens to Samsung messaging app, Googles, Messaging app. It doesn't matter of location or which servers.  

https://www.sammobile.com/news/rcs-messages-not-working-properly-for-some-galaxy-phone-users/

Badge +1

Might not even be a T-Mobile or Google issue. Happens to Samsung messaging app, Googles, Messaging app. It doesn't matter of location or which servers.  

https://www.sammobile.com/news/rcs-messages-not-working-properly-for-some-galaxy-phone-users/

No technology works 100% of the time, sure. But there is a real issue affecting a ton of T-mobile Samsung phones for the unstable T-mobile RCS with Google Messages that doesn’t affect Samsung Messages. It doesn’t take much research to see how widespread this issue is. 

It’s disappointing that it’s been months since Fall 2023 that T-mobile said they were switching and yet so many phones are still using the T-mobile RCS on the 2024.03.08 version of Google Messages.

Badge +1

Here is some good insight on how to figure out if you are using a problematic version of Google Messages. Quote below taken from the link below.

You could have other messaging issues on Samsung Messages too, but we are talking about Samsung switching over their default messaging app to Google Messages (samsung_dynamic) version of that app.

Here is some more info that may help some people at least understand the figure out what combination of phone ROM and Messaging app is affected. Basically, around the start of the S22, Samsung decided they wanted to stop using their Samsung Messages app and start using Google Messages for the stock messaging app on Samsung phones. On the T-Mobile official Samsung phone ROM, they've taken the Google Messages app, and coded it to use the less stable RCS Services from T-Mobile instead of the more stable Googles RCS Services.

There are a few different combinations of phone ROMs and Messaging apps at play that will give different experiences here:

• Unlocked Samsung ROM on T-Mobile using unaltered Google Messages (uses the stable Google RCS provided by Jibe)

• Unlocked Samsung ROM on T-Mobile using Samsung Messages (uses the stable Google RCS provided by Jibe)

• Locked T-Mobile ROM on T-Mobile using the samsung_dynamic version of Google Messages (uses unstable Google RCS provided by T-Mobile)

• Locked T-Mobile ROM on T-Mobile using Samsung Messages (uses the stable Google RCS provided by Jibe)

Samsung/T-Mobile have coded the Google Messages (samsung_dynamic) version of the app to using T-Mobiles RCS Services. The others still use Googles RCS Services (Jibe).

If you want to see what RCS services you are connecting to: Open Google Messages, profile, message settings, RCS chats, scroll to the bottom. If it says RCS provided by T-Mobile, that's the problem RCS services. If it says RCS from Google provided by Jibe, this is the stable one.

If you want to see what version of the Google Messages you are using (if you aren't running Samsung Messages): Open Google Messages, profile, message settings, About terms and privacy. If you have the version of Google Messages that's been alerted by T-Mobile/Samsung to use RCS services from T-Mobile, you should see the "samsung_dynamic" in the version info.

https://www.reddit.com/r/UniversalProfile/comments/158n51f/raising_awareness_for_tmobiles_samsung_rcs/

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

No technology works 100% of the time, sure. But there is a real issue affecting a ton of T-mobile Samsung phones for the unstable T-mobile RCS with Google Messages that doesn’t affect Samsung Messages. It doesn’t take much research to see how widespread this issue is. 

It’s disappointing that it’s been months since Fall 2023 that T-mobile said they were switching and yet so many phones are still using the T-mobile RCS on the 2024.03.08 version of Google Messages.

Google could do the switch right now if they wanted to. There is no agreement for carriers to use Googles app for x years. It's literally a flag only Google can change. 

All messages apps are affected for some reason. This includes Google Messages. There are regions that only use Jibe and they have this problem listed below. 

"Others also contributed their observations that the people whose chats they find constantly switching between RCS and conventional SMS have Samsung devices. It's unclear what may be causing this, as there's little guidance on the matter from Google or Samsung."