Question

Why does my usage record show small amounts of mobile data shortly after midnight?

• 17 June 2023
  • 3 replies

Badge

I am home most of the time and access the internet over WiFi.  When I’m away from home, I may access the internet to check my calendar but rarely for anything else. Yet my usage record shows small amounts of data usage (for example, 0.0087 MB) being used shortly after midnight every night.  These small amounts don’t add up to anything significant, but I’m hoping someone can explain if they’re normal, and if so, what they’re for.

3 replies

I have this question, too. With an unlimited data plan the cost factor does not enter into the matter, but my data usage history shows fairly high data use at the times when I am asleep in the hours after midnight. At first I thought it may be my apps automatically updating but my phone is always connected to our internet and that data should go wifi not mobile. The phone is set to use wifi when available. So it perplexes me to see use at 160MB at 2:45 AM, for example. What is this? Is there a way to find the source?

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

It can be when you are out and about and end up domestically roaming on a partner they received data and they are updating the usage.  Those data usages are not updated as quickly as if being “in network”

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Apps and your device have automated functions, like checking for updates, syncing with the cloud, etc.