Solved

Wrong phone description

• 28 October 2021
  • 32 replies

Badge

Just wondering if anyone else has an incorrect phone description on their account?

I recently activated my 256GB White Pixel 6 Pro, in my profile it shows as a 128GB Black Pixel 6 Pro.

Not sure if it matters, just concerned if I wanted to eventually trade in, or if I needed repair if it would cause an issue.

icon

Best answer by gramps28 13 September 2023, 05:42

View original

32 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

it shouldnt if all the rest of the devices info is correct..serial, model number etc..

worse case you can try to contact TMO through either call, Facebook or Twitter and see if anything can be changed around..

was it purchased from TMO or direct from Google or a different route?

Badge

Thanks for input. 

I bought unlocked through Google store. I had Sprint, but when I went to activate my phone, I was told I would need to migrate to T-Mobile because the phone won't work on Sprint network (odd, since Sprint sells the phone?)

Not a great experience, after 20 years+ with Sprint, I lost premium plan (would have been $15 more per month for TMO equivalent), have a lesser plan now that I still pay $7/month more for, lost my Hulu access. I guess they were right, less competition is going to cost the customers in the end. 

Userlevel 2
Badge

First, congratulations on geting one on day 1 :)  Im totally jealous after my T-Mobile order debacle.

With that out of my system - this is pretty common for third party purchased phones.  As long as the IEMI/listing information in the system is correct, this should work out no problem.  The reason for this is that they don't have the 256 listed in their offers so they don't have a corresponding listing for what you ACTUALLY have.

Just like if I went to ATT there are T-Mobile exclusive combinations of the S20FE that samsung did with the carriers that ATT would list it as something else or even not do a trade in at all because they wouldnt have a listing for it.

I’d wait a little bit and then go back and have them correct it in a month or two after the dust has settled from this launch.

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

for what its worth usually if its an outside purchased device it would show up as unknown in the TMO system..huge thread about it from the last few years lol.

im also a former Sprint peep that merged over..

Badge

First, congratulations on geting one on day 1 :)  Im totally jealous after my T-Mobile order debacle.

With that out of my system - this is pretty common for third party purchased phones.  As long as the IEMI/listing information in the system is correct, this should work out no problem.  The reason for this is that they don't have the 256 listed in their offers so they don't have a corresponding listing for what you ACTUALLY have.

Just like if I went to ATT there are T-Mobile exclusive combinations of the S20FE that samsung did with the carriers that ATT would list it as something else or even not do a trade in at all because they wouldnt have a listing for it.

I’d wait a little bit and then go back and have them correct it in a month or two after the dust has settled from this launch.

That makes sense. Thanks!

I have the EXACT same problem The T-Mobile app show on its display that I am using a Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge 32GB phone but in actuality I am using a Motorola 5G Edge 256GB phone. I have been complaining about to T-Mobile for well over a year. Ai have sent and shown T-Mobile screenshots of there error. They always say the will correct the error with 48 hours but it hasn't been done. So f*-cking frustrating because I have to go there the same sh!t explaining their error every single time I contact them to complain. FRUSTRATING AS Füçk!!!!

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

If the phone wasn't bought from Tmobile the description of the phone will be off.

Why if the phone is not bought from T-Mobile is the description off IF on T-Mobile's and whenever I call in it shows them exactly which phone I am using? Obviously they have the technology to know which phone it is they just don't share it with their customers! And I bought the phone directly from Motorola not another cellular company.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

It was the same way when I bought from Google a Pixel 5a5G. It showed as a Pixel 4a but it's not a big deal to me. It doesn't hinder the phones performance.

I think there's a possibility you might be hurting my phone. Because I haven't noticed much difference between 4G and 5G. It says on my account that I have a Samsung 7 Edge which is not a 5G phone. And it has an icon to upgrade to a 5g phone. Even though my Motorola Edge is a 5G phone. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Since it's a phone not sold by Tmobile that's probably why it assigned it as a Samsung Edge. Tmobile use to just leave it blank if it was a phone not sold by them.

Eh, my wife has a BYOD Nokia (that needs to be replaced) but T-Mobile’s system shows it as a Blackberry 6710. 160x160 LCD display, “This global roaming GSM device features GPRS high-speed data, PIM functionality, Backlit QWERTY keyboard, wireless modem, speakerphone, E-Mail client and Web capabilities.” Also, no camera.

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

I think there's a possibility you might be hurting my phone. Because I haven't noticed much difference between 4G and 5G. It says on my account that I have a Samsung 7 Edge which is not a 5G phone. And it has an icon to upgrade to a 5g phone. Even though my Motorola Edge is a 5G phone. 

What it says your phone is in your account has no effect on how your actual device performs on the T-Mobile network.

Having a similar issue. Upgraded 2 Samsung S22+ 256GB phones for 2 new IPhone 13 MaxPlus phones. Since we started their service the Samsungs have shown on our billing as 256GB phones, and we eventually paid them both in full and T Mobile unlocked them.  When they were received at the trade-in center(a third party buyer of T Mobile phones), are now saying they have to adjust trade in value because the techs said they only 128GB. It changed trade in value $36.00 less. Called T-Mobile and they credited the $36.00 ea on our bill, but now my problem is We’ve been paying the higher price for 2- 256GB phones all along instead of cheaper 128GB. T Mobile says they won’t refund the price difference in a 256 and a 128 phone since they had no balance owed, they will only credit trade value difference. That’s bad business as I see it. We were overcharged us for what they sent to us.

Anyone else had this issue?

Userlevel 1
Badge

Same issue with my iPhone 14 Pro. Have an iPhone 14 pro in Space Black 256gb and got a warranty replacement and it now shows a Purple iPhone 14 Pro 128GB. I know it doesn't matter and the phone will work the same but it’s annoying to see every time I’m logged in! This has been an known issue for years ever since they removed the option “not your device? click here” and you could manually put the correct device. They need to bring that back ASAP! And no number of IT tickets being filed will fix it! It goes ignored and they mark it as “resolved” and nada! 

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

contact them through either Facebook or Twitter and they can go in and change what is needed. only thing you’ll run into really is trying to get it unlocked. if the info doesnt match then it cant happen until it does.

if they removed the ability to do this on your own then theres probably a reason.

you’ll usually run into the incorrect device info when you purchase the device from some place other than TMO or if its a warranty exchange.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Unfortunately there’s nothing their support can really do either. They always come back with the same “we’ll file a ticket with it” and thats it. I purchased my original device from Apple but it’s under the T-Mobile Apple trade in promo. The original device was correct. Had the same issue with my 13 Pro. Got it replaced and it went from graphite to blue. Not sure why their systems do that. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

pretty simple..because none of your devices info was already in their system..no carrier keeps every single device createds info in their system..they have the ones they sell and whatever info gets added in once yall contact them asking why it doesnt match up anymore..

as an example..you had the same thing happen with your 13 Pro..got it replaced..the replacement was not in their system nor ever has been..so no info on it. i mentioned this in my post right in front of yours..Sprint users would have to have ALL of that devices info added into their system before you could even use the phone..TMO you swap sim cards...thats it..so zero info transfer other than the generic info the sim reads...and by generic i mean plain jane bare minimum..because the sim card tells the phone what network to look for..not what phone it is.

and if there wasnt anything support could do then why exactly would i have wasted my time posting all the stuff that i did especially on why and how it needs to get handled?

Badge

Same issue here. Have a 256gb snow pixel 7 it calls it a obsidian 128gb in the app, the web calls it a iphone 7. My other unlocked phone is a s20 fe navy blue 128gb, app calls it a s20 cosmic gray 128gb. Been fighting them for a month. App claims pixel is locked but it was bought unlocked at best buy. Both were bought when with sprint, now using TMobile sim and plan. I'm about ready to look elsewhere, their app is such junk

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Same issue here. Have a 256gb snow pixel 7 it calls it a obsidian 128gb in the app, the web calls it a iphone 7. My other unlocked phone is a s20 fe navy blue 128gb, app calls it a s20 cosmic gray 128gb. Been fighting them for a month. App claims pixel is locked but it was bought unlocked at best buy. Both were bought when with sprint, now using TMobile sim and plan. I'm about ready to look elsewhere, their app is such junk

Most devices sold at BestBuy automatically SIM lock to the first SIM put in the device.  What your device shows up as in your account has no effect on how the device performs on the T-Mobile Network.  

Badge

Still would be nice for my devices to read properly. The sim in it is from TMobile. The device unlock app claims unlocked, the main TMobile app calls a pixel 7 a locked iphone. My 3rd line is a a32 with 1 monthly credit left and it displays properly. My 2nd line displays the wrong phone but shows correctly as unlocked and it went from a sprint sim to T-Mobile sim the same way

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

been mentioned in here already but eventually you’ll want to unlock the device..which means you’ll need to contact TMO and have them add in all the correct info for that device. outside purchased devices info wont be in any carriers network. it needs to be added.

Badge

I talked to the unlock team. They say it isn't locked but their app still displays the wrong phone and calls it locked. Been fighting with them for a month now

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

been mentioned in here already but eventually you’ll want to unlock the device..which means you’ll need to contact TMO and have them add in all the correct info for that device. outside purchased devices info wont be in any carriers network. it needs to be added.

in other words kind of hard for their system to match up to your device if the wrong info is in there still.

Badge

Have been dealing with this for a month, same issues still exist. my google pixel 7 snow 256gb shows under account as a obsidian 128gb, then if i click check device unlock, it then says i have a iphone 7 with my correct imei that is locked, when the phone was bought unlocked and their unlock dept even verified it is not locked by anyone. my 2nd line is a galaxy s20 fe navy blue, but the account section on the app calls it a s20 cosmic grey 128gb. at least when i check unlock on it it shows unlocked correctly. it was bought the same way as my pixel. all i constantly get told is a ticket was opened to give it a week, but nothing ever changes. i am almost to the point of looking for a new carrier if this is how their customer support is going to be.