Question

Z Fold 4 Android 13

Userlevel 3
Badge

Just want to say it is pretty bad that a brand new flagship is being held up by Tmobile. Still on Security Patch for Nov. 1, 2022. Other Guys have gotten their update (a coworker actually got theirs for their Z Fold 3 2 weeks ago.) really wish there was some kind of communication other than “In Development”

22 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Reach out to Samsung and ask what the delay is.  Outside of some bloat and carrier aggregation and a little testing for major updates.  95% of the update is compiled and when done and pushed by Samsung.

Userlevel 3
Badge

The delay is not with Samsung. Samsung released the Android 13 update on or around 11/23/2022. The phone has been updated on ATT and Verizon (carrier locked versions)...so those 2 "blue paw prints" show that it's not a Samsung issue, but another Tmobile issue.

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

T-Mobile is always last to get carrier focused updates.  Even with the Sprint acquisition, T-Mobile sells less devices than the other two.  You take care of your bigger customers first.  Carriers do not employ development teams for operating systems!

Badge

I just got my fold 4 worked on by asurion. They told me that according to Samsung that they must connect to their servers and update to the latest upgrades meaning Android 13.   It ended up that my fold4 was still on 12L. So that tells me it's not so much t-mobile here but unsure. I have an unlocked version. I called TMobile about it and got a $20.00 credit off my bill. 

All you guys have to do is pop in a inactive sim from another carrier like att, or verzion restart phone, go to software update and  the andriod 13 will download

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

All you guys have to do is pop in a inactive sim from another carrier like att, or verzion restart phone, go to software update and  the andriod 13 will download

When that works, because it doesn't always.  That also might cause the device to not download the next update from T-Mobile.  

If it doesn’t happen soon and I find out it’s a tmobile issue, I’m probably going to switch carriers. My tablet got the update a month ago. It’s the latest greatest phone from Samsung and yet super delayed updates. I heard some from tmobile got the update. So why am I paying my full price phone bill but others have more features. Hopefully it’s not a tmobile issue. It’d be nice if a tmobile rep replied here and gave us some kind of information. 

Userlevel 1

It’s 100% a T-Mobile issue. Everybody have this update for a while across carriers and across countries. I get it’s a major update and probably T-Mobile found bugs or requested new stuff, I don’t know but as a consumer I don’t care. I also don’t care of major upgrades but I think at this price point I want a secure mobile phone and we’re now in January other vendors (including Samsung) are receiving January security patches and we’re stuck in November security patches. Major vulnerabilities including specific to Samsung have been addressed and T-Mobile is basically making Samsung look bad, insecure because they require their sweet time, blocking a tons of people for some of their testing, they’re not transparent at all on what’s blocking the rollout and worst of all T-Mobile have not adopted a plan B which is at the very least deploying security patches on top of the existing deployed Android 12. Well I guess the only way to make a change is to switch carrier and if it’s still bad then change mobile phone brand. T-Mobile, most users do handle business and sensitive informations on their phone, security is important.

Samsung already start working on beta released for one ui 5.1

Come on tmobile. Are you trying to put bloatware?  It's 2023, no one use pay per service anymore.  Get rid off those useless servers. 

New t mobile ceo is sucks. 

I can't believe how TMO is dragging their feet on this. Why such a long delay?

Yep, and January security updates are being released to all while the flip 4 sits waiting for mid November release. Embarrassing and if I worked for Samsung I’d be screaming at Tmobile making a flagship phone look worthless for security/bug repairs.

Umm, you might want to contact T-Mobile support and see if there's any way for them to assist you with getting it pushed. I've had Android 13 on my T-Mobile Fold 4 since lateish November... November 23rd to be exact is when it downloaded

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

was your device purchased from TMO or brought in from another carrier/purchased directly from Samsung?

was your device purchased from TMO or brought in from another carrier/purchased directly from Samsung?

Mine is a T-Mobile device (not unlocked or another carrier) purchased from Samsung directly. T-Mobile began pushing the update on Nov 23rd. If your devices haven't received it by now I'd contact T-Mobile. I even just last night (finally) received the Dec security update. Something is blocking y'alls devices from being pushed the update. And that is DEFINITELY on T-Mobile's end if it's a carrier locked device. Samsung only pushes updates themselves to unlocked devices. Carriers manage roll-outs to locked devices. I've heard of CSRs claiming the opposite but don't let them

Samsung only pushes updates themselves to unlocked devices.

Not in the US. In the US the carrier pushes the update OTA to the unlocked phones on their network. That’s why if you put another carrier’s SIM in you get the update. It’s also why unlocked devices don’t all get the update simultaneously.

If Samsung wants to compete with Apple they need to really get this cleaned up.

I purchased a T-Mobile unlocked phone from Samsung because of their promotions and I do not want the 2-year lock-in.

Been waiting for an update for quite a while.

Traveling and popped in a local SIM card and immediately saw the update available.

Will this be the same update that T-Mobile offers? Unclear and frustrating.

For a company that doesn't believe in data security for its customer's sensitive data on their servers, why would we expect them to care about delivering the monthly security patches on time let alone Android 13? The "uncarrier" is faltering badly here! This is why Apple is better than Samsung due to their stringent standards on security!

I think the S23 will release but T-Mobile couldn't possibly be bothered by its existing customer contingency as their advertising efforts are always geared towards the new acquisition. Who cares about existing customers let alone the security for their data?

Badge

Just want to say it is pretty bad that a brand new flagship is being held up by Tmobile. Still on Security Patch for Nov. 1, 2022. Other Guys have gotten their update (a coworker actually got theirs for their Z Fold 3 2 weeks ago.) really wish there was some kind of communication other than “In Development”

Yeah pretty frustrating. Haven’t received ANY updates since 11/7/2022...let alone any indication of Android 13/One UI 5. Most expensive phone on the market and can’t even get a security update in a timely manner?!?

Badge

put another carrier sim in and update, visual voicemail not working only problem i have found.

Userlevel 1

It’s 100% a T-Mobile issue. Everybody have this update for a while across carriers and across countries. I get it’s a major update and probably T-Mobile found bugs or requested new stuff, I don’t know but as a consumer I don’t care. I also don’t care of major upgrades but I think at this price point I want a secure mobile phone and we’re now in January other vendors (including Samsung) are receiving January security patches and we’re stuck in November security patches. Major vulnerabilities including specific to Samsung have been addressed and T-Mobile is basically making Samsung look bad, insecure because they require their sweet time, blocking a tons of people for some of their testing, they’re not transparent at all on what’s blocking the rollout and worst of all T-Mobile have not adopted a plan B which is at the very least deploying security patches on top of the existing deployed Android 12. Well I guess the only way to make a change is to switch carrier and if it’s still bad then change mobile phone brand. T-Mobile, most users do handle business and sensitive informations on their phone, security is important.

I carried through and left T-Mobile as of last Friday. I’m glad I did, for example they just blocked the January security update from the Pixel now (which is my secondary phone). So no thank you bye!

My unlocked Fold 4 just finished the Android 13 update and January security patch. Everything seems to be working great so far.

I just got my fold 4 worked on by asurion. They told me that according to Samsung that they must connect to their servers and update to the latest upgrades meaning Android 13.   It ended up that my fold4 was still on 12L. So that tells me it's not so much t-mobile here but unsure. I have an unlocked version. I called TMobile about it and got a $20.00 credit off my bill. 

They tried.