Question

about locked iphone

Badge

I bought a iPhone 13 on StockX then I found out it was locked by T-Mobile and StockX consumer support asked me I should contact tmobile so can someone help to unlock my phone?😢

29 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Unfortunately Tmobile will only unlock phones for Tmobile customers. I suggest returning it to where you bought it.

Badge

But they won't let me return it because I activated it

Badge

And actually I’m a T-Mobile customer, I could totally use it with the T-mobile lock, but no, I have a verizon number from my work that has to be plugged into this phone so I have to unlock it.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Then use it on your Tmobile account for 40 days and meet the requirements in the link below.

https://www.t-mobile.com/responsibility/consumer-info/policies/sim-unlock-policy

Badge

So I just need to plug my T-Mobile SIM into my locked phone and wait 40 days for it to be unlocked, right? Or I need to bind the phone and my phone through somewhere

Badge

oh i am prepaid user so i need to wait for 365 days for it???

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

If you have a post paid plan you put the Sim into the locked phone and use it for 40 days on the Tmobile towers and it should unlock but it's an iPhone so you may need to make a request after 40 days.

Badge

omg i only have prepaid plan what can i do🤯

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

$100 in refills then 17 days of use on the Tmobile network.

Next time if you're buying a used phone use Swappa. They check the imei number when a phone is listed for sale

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

You can check the prepaid conditions in the SIM Unlock Policy for the requirements you would have to meet.  

https://www.t-mobile.com/responsibility/consumer-info/policies/sim-unlock-policy

Badge

do i need to recharge 100$ at once or does it only require that the amount previously recharged exceeds 100$?

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

do i need to recharge 100$ at once or does it only require that the amount previously recharged exceeds 100$?

More than $100 in recharges within a calendar year.  If you recharge a total of more than $100 over the next few months.  That will meet that requirement.

Badge

Thanks! Let me summarize, I just need to insert my existing SIM card into this locked phone and unlock it after recharging more than 100$ this year, right?

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Thanks! Let me summarize, I just need to insert my existing SIM card into this locked phone and unlock it after recharging more than 100$ this year, right?

The device still needs to be used on the network.  Even with $100+ in recharges, the device needs usage on the T-Mobile USA network.  Not roaming usage and a minimum of 14 days use on the T-Mobile network might be required.

Also, iPhone SIM unlock requests are sent to Apple to process.  These SIM unlocks can take upwards of 3 weeks and sometimes longer.  This is solely on Apple's end.  All T-Mobile does is verify your SIM unlock eligibility and then sends the SIM Unlock request to Apple.  

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

I'm pretty sure it's $100 after the new imei is detected not for funds already  made.

Badge

This means I need to pay a lump sum of 100? pay to where?

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

After you put your Tmobile Sim card in the phone the add $100 and wait the required days.

Badge

so is it valid if i add it in the form of prepaid plan charges 

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Your plan is a prepaid plan so that's what you need to do to meet the requirements. You can go to a Tmobile store to confirm this if the rep is knowledgeable.

Badge

unfortunately to me, my local store can’t help😢

Badge

can i just do like this: put the sim card into this phone and pay $50/month and after 2 months I can require for unlock

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Yes.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Personally I would send the phone back and request a refund or exchange since they sell the phones as unlocked.

https://stockx.com/apple/iphone

Out of curiosity did you insert your Tmobile Sim in it before your work Sim? If so the phone will lock to the carrier of the first sim card inserted due to Apples 3rd party flex policy.

Badge

yeah!!! the first card I inserted into this phone is T-Mobile card

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

That's why it's locked to Tmobile.