Question

Adding an Apple Watch to my account for a child

• 5 November 2023
  • 2 replies

Badge

I have the Magenta Max plan with 3 lines with an iPhone on each (me, wife, son).  I want to add an Apple Watch for my daughter as a standalone device so she can call us in an emergency and so we can see her location when going to/from school (she is too young for an iPhone).

When I try to buy a watch from T-Mobile online, the site keeps asking me which existing line I would like to add the watch to.  I can’t find any way to buy a watch and add a standalone line for it.

I was hoping to take advantage of the Apple Watch SE 2 deal (24 monthly credits when adding a line) but it seems to be for a Digits line only, paired with an existing number.

Is there a specific process for this?  Or do I need to go to a store?

thanks!

2 replies

I’m finding your post after searching for a similar problem. If you set up an iCloud account and create a family set up you can pair the watch to your phone and set up for a family member to use. This allows many choices that can monitor your child’s use and add whatever parental control you feel comfortable with. In order to make the pairing work an iCloud email account/password that you set up earlier will be needed for completing the setup. Skip the cellular set up on watch until calling 611 or in person to add a line to your plan. When the number is added you can complete the cellular set up on the watch and also access the watch settings on your phone through the Apple Watch app. I’m attempting to switch a line from a Timex family connect to a series 4 Apple Watch. I’m not an expert but I’m hoping this helps you. I’ll add to the post if anything else comes up. Good luck!

So the thing you will need to complete the update is your IMEI number that will identify your phone/watch for a digital sim to recognize your device and send the cellular signal to your phone/watch. If you set up the watch using the watch app you can find the number under general and about. You can also use the watch to go in settings-general-about for the same information. Cheers!