Solved

Apple magic mouse

• 29 February 2024
  • 3 replies

Badge

I recently replaced my T-Mobile gateway with a new T-Mobile Geteway of the same model (because of weak internet signal). It has been a disaster with our two HP wireless printers. We had to set up a separate network for the printers; this works on one printer only. I say all of this in case it has a bearing on the current problem. I have a Magic Mouse that I use with my MacBook Pro. Just recently (since the Gateway change), I have noticed that when the mouse is turned on, my MacBook internal trackpad will not work. If I turn the mouse off, the trackpad will work. I have tried restarting, re-pairing the mouse, pushing computer keypad buttons simultaneously (as suggested by some Apple articles), all to no avail. Since I have spent hours on the phone with (1) T-Mobile and (2) HP, without any success, regarding the printer issues, I hesitate to begin that process again with the mouse/trackpad issue. Any suggestions would be appreciated. 

icon

Best answer by nc1037 29 February 2024, 15:05

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +7
  1. For your second network, for your HP printers, try 2.4 GHz and WPA/WPA2 security.  This setting works for my 10-year-old Office Jet Pro.
  2. I think your Magic Mouse problem is coincidental.  The Magic Mouse uses Bluetooth, not Wi-Fi.  You could try taking the computer and mouse to a public Wi-Fi location to see if it works there.  For help from other users, the MacRumors community is active.  Mac Accessories | MacRumors Forums 
Badge

Thank you for your response. I had already created a second network for one of the printers, 2.4Gz, albeit with the lower security. This initially worked fine for one of our HP printers, and the other one was working fine on our original network. Then things went haywire, and the two printers switch back and forth on the two networks without my resetting them. I think their settings are somehow conflicting with each other. The reason I thought it might be related to the Magic Mouse issue is that I read somewhere that Bluetooth devices can conflict with 2.4GHz settings. Our main network has both 2.4 and 5, and the new printer network has only 2.4 — so I thought it might be related. Thank you for your suggestion. I will see what the Magic Mouse does in another setting. Since my post, I tried a “plug in” mouse (wired via.USB C directly to the computer so no Bluetooth), and i still have the same problem, i.e., either the mouse (not a Magic Mouse) or the trackpad works, but not both. So I think your “coincident theory” is accurate. Thanks again.

Badge

My problem has been solved. Thanks to all who read this and tried to help.